1965-1980 Rolls-Royce Silver Shadow

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
United States
Orange County, NY
GTP_GT916
Nii916
1965-1980 Rolls-Royce Silver Shadow nominated by @Beeblebrox237
Rolls-Royce-Silver-Shadow-in-Silver-Mink-over-Caribbean-Blue-1975-10A4J433814285AA.jpeg

Engines:
6.2L V8 (Rolls-Royce - Bentley L410B), 6.75L V8 (Rolls-Royce - Bentley L410)
Power: L401B: ~200 hp; L410: ~220 hp
Torque: Unknown
Weight: 2108 kg
Transmission: 3-speed automatic, 4-speed automatic
Drivetrain: Front engine, rear wheel drive
Body Styles: 4-door sedan, 2-door coupe, 2-door convertible
Additional Info: "The Silver Shadow remains the most successful Rolls Royce ever, with over 30,000 examples produced. As a result these cars sell for very low prices today, often less than the price of a new Fiesta. Check out the additional photos for some of the implications of this..."​
rolls-royce-head_1.jpg

1980_Rolls-Royce_Silver_Shadow_II,_federal_version_%28rear_right%29.jpg

silver-shadow-coupe-28-002.jpg

crh7760c.jpg

dsc_0139.jpg

Doesn't jump out at you with the styling but would turn a few heads. Has also become a slight cliche when it comes to wedding cars.

There was a time when these weren't particularly cool (bar the coupe). But over the past decade they seem to have grown ever more appealing while still remaining surprisingly cheap to pick up.

Cool.

The last three pictures are of the a Corniche, not the Silver Shadow.

Both of the coupes are Silver Shadows ('67 and '69). The convertible is a Corniche though. '81 W reg.

Last edited:
Both of the coupes are Silver Shadows ('67 and '69). The convertible is a Corniche though. '81 W reg.

Technically they were re-bodied by Mulliner Park Ward. The ones produced by Rolls themselves were badged as Corniches.

I'm quite sad that some of the best photos of this car were removed from the nomination:

09-2013-Halloween-Hooptiefest-24-Hours-of-LeMons-Winners-626x426.jpg

rolls%281%29.png

Also, if you watch from 1:15 to 8:00, you'll hear James May's take on the car, and why I nominated it:

The youngest will be, what? 35 years old.
It has gone through the doldrums of being seriously uncool and I believe that it is cool.

In mint condition, the right original colour scheme and wheels - and it'll be sub zero

Terribly uncool when new.

I'm in 2 minds about them nowadays... in one respect, they could be considered the ultimate barge. But there are some really scruffy ones about and they are also horrendously unreliable. And when they go wrong it's generally going to cost you an arm and a leg to fix it.

One in a nice colour, in good condition, could be a low cool.

In true cool wall fashion, I'm not saying I dislike these cars but have you ever seen one in person? Being driven? It is beyond ridiculous. And seeing it in banger racing and drag racing spec is painfully embarrassing. That's like turning up to a prestigious concourse event in an Austin Metro or Vauxhall Cavalier.

Uncool

I'd also prefer a Bentley T-Series.

Latest Posts

Back