• Poll closed .
United States
Orange County, NY
GTP_GT916
Nii916
1966-1975 Lotus Europa nominated by @SomePlayaDude
Lotus_Europa_1974.jpg

Engines:
1.4L I4 (Renault 16 A1K), 1.5L I4 (Renault 16 TS type 807), 1.5L I4 (Lotus-Ford Twin Cam)
Power: S1/S2: 82 hp; Twin-Cam: 105 hp; Special: 126 hp
Torque: S1/S2: 76 lb-ft.; Twin-Cam: 108 lb-ft.; Special: 112 lb-ft.
Weight: S1: 600 kg; S2: 662 kg; Twin-Cam: 737 kg; Special: 711 kg
Transmission: S1/S2/Twin-Cam: 4-speed manual, Special: 5-speed manual
Drivetrain: Mid engine, rear wheel drive
Body Styles: 2-door coupe
Additional Info: "- Lotus Cars founder Colin Chapman uses this car to define his obsession with lightweight cars: "Simplify, then add lightness."

- Praised for it's handling, thanks to its excellent suspension work and mid-engine layout. This is Lotus we're talking about here.

- People were known to be stuck inside these: an issue all small Lotus' back in the day carry alongside average build quality. It's value as an antique today is reduced mainly because most people today, as with back in the day, will have a hard time fitting into it.

- The name "Europa" was made as a reference on how Lotus planned to sell this car only in the UK and nearby neighboring Europe countries. In Germany, however, it was called "Europe" due to Volkswagen owning the name's rights. The Twin-cam and Special models made it to the US, albeit in a limited quantity.

- Made as a successor to the Lotus 7. Succeeded and easily overshadowed by the more luxurious Lotus Esprit."​
Lotus_Europa_S2_(Wakkanai).jpg

Lotus_Europe_series_1_1967.jpg

1973LotusEuropa_01_700.jpg

1974_Lotus_Europa_Special_(US).jpg

Lotus-Europa-red-ra-lr.jpg

74_Lotus_Europa_JPS_Special_DV_06_PBI-0INT-01.jpg

I've honestly always felt these to be quite ugly. Dirty fingernails, chassis numbers and club racing with Marcus Pye.

Uncool

I would love to know...
Lotus_Europe_series_1_1967.jpg

...through what sorcery did this owner get that window trim straight? I have honestly never seen a Europa with perfectly aligned trim. :lol:

I really would love to have one, but I also think that I'd be disappointed!
I like the looks, but if I were to pick up a hot girl for a date (it could happen - possibly!) then this would be one of the last sports cars I'd pick!

uncool

Looks like a failed attempt at a ute, but likely to be an absolute hoot to drive... if it even starts. Also, getting in and out will be quite undignified.

Uncool.

It's funny how most people in the thread are saying "uncool", yet "cool" is the choice that's clearly leading.

On my previous shift on my paramedic internship, we were on our way to a call, and I saw a Dodge Ram towing a trailer with one of these on it. I was pretty awestruck that I actually saw one.

I don't care what the rest of you say, I'd consider this cool.

Back when I was a kiddo and I guess there were more of these about, I always thought it a bit of a white elephant, but it has grown on me tons over the years and I love them now. Distills the essence of old Lotus being a total spare parts bin mongrel and about as heavy as a leaf. Also not as spartan inside as you might expect. Great fun to thrash around in GT6 too. SZ.

A very unassuming classic sports car. Subtle, simple, in no way brash.

Very high cool. Not quite SZ, but could reach it in another 15 years or so.

It's a Lotus... Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious... it will break down all the time, the engine will go pop, it will overheat, the electrics will be rubbish, you need to be no taller than 5' to drive it.

But on the odd occasion it's working, it will be glorious.

Cool.

I dunno what happened to the rear, but it's still a beautiful car and I've always liked it since GT4

Back