Body Style: 2-door coupé
Engine: 4.7L Ford HiPo V8, 5.0L Ford V8
Power: 230 hp (5.0L), 306 hp (4.7L)
Torque: 310-392 ft-lbs
Weight: 1322 kg
Transmission: 5-speed manual
Drivetrain: Mid-engine, rear-wheel drive
Additional Information:
401 Mangustas were built, about 150 of the European version, the remainder were the North American version. The initial cars are claimed to have a more powerful Ford HiPo 289 cu. in. engine; the later cars all had Ford 302 engines. With the 1970 model USA destined cars were produced with 2 headlamp pop-up, an estimated 50 cars were produced in this configuration.​

1968 DeTomaso  Mangusta.jpg
1968-De-Tomaso-Mangusta-by-Ghia-3-960x604.jpg
img_0092.jpg

car-de-tomaso-mangusta-1.jpeg
H88-DeTomaso-Mangusta-01.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg
1967–71_DeTomaso_Mangusta_Interior_01.jpg

I never really got the appeal of it. It looks visually striking, but even in the most glossy and stylized of press packets it looks like it was sent out on the market before it was actually finished. Which it was, but De Tomaso was usually much better at hiding it.

Whilst I prefer the Pantera, there's no doubting the Mangusta is an uber-cool beast. So much cooler/better than the usual crop of sports/super cars of it's era. And in classic De-Tomaso style, it's just so classy, and looks fantastic.

SZ.

I never really got the appeal of it. It looks visually striking, but even in the most glossy and stylized of press packets it looks like it was sent out on the market before it was actually finished. Which it was, but De Tomaso was usually much better at hiding it.
Not surprised this is coming from you. I don't think I've ever seen you vote anything higher than Uncool in a long time :indiff:

Not criticizing you or anything, I respect your voting decisions.

SZ, and the Pantera can go suck a lemon as far as I'm concerned. There's one clever bit that I really love, though I'm given to understand functionality was an issue...

61904sull48.jpg

Accessory drive easily accessed, rather than tucked down low and in front, just behind the seats.

Unique. Stylish. Fast. Sounds like a proper muscle car and goes exactly as you'd expect it to. It's a fantastic combination. Cool

Sub Zero. Me and a cousin used to ride our bikes to another neighborhood, just to see an owner's Pantera and Mangusta in their garages.
The styling is a Ghibli, turned up to 11. Marvelous.

SZ, and the Pantera can go suck a lemon as far as I'm concerned. There's one clever bit that I really love, though I'm given to understand functionality was an issue...

61904sull48.jpg

Accessory drive easily accessed, rather than tucked down low and in front, just behind the seats.

We had one of these coming into the shop, and my boss said to prepare for a hefty job of replacing the belts.

Imagine his face when I was done in 10 minutes. :lol:

Edit

I must add that it has another set of belts on the front but those were also easy to replace.

If ever there was an example of a car that looked a hundred times better than it handled. And if such a car didn't make you feel cramped or uncomfortable while you were inside, something was off.

Symbolic of extreme Italian muscle even if it was largely overshadowed by the Pantera. Also didn't live long enough to suffer an iffy restyling or two like its successor. Ergo, it remained classy.

Sub-Zero.

Back