GTP Cool Wall: 1968-1981 Isuzu 117 Coupe

1968-1981 Isuzu 117 Coupe

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It's simply gorgeous, enough so that it could pass as an actual Italian car. Proved to the world that Japan could not only make a beautiful car, but also a beautiful car obtainable by the masses. High cool.

It's nice looking and probably drives fine, but it just doesn't make me really feel anything. Meh

Cool purely because of aesthetics, understandably since it was designed by Giugiaro himself. Otherwise it has almost no redeeming qualities.

What do you mean you can't smell pictures?

The 117 is one of those JDM oddities that speak to my inner child. What I would do to get my hands on an early example is best left untold, least I get banned in perpetuity.

This is the kind of car that would make me happy to get stuck in a traffic jam on a rainy day. It probably drives terribly, but who cares. Life is not a race, sometimes you just want a cozy retreat from the world, and this semi-obscure sexy-mobile from the Japanese economic boom is a fortress of solitude on wheels.

Is it cool? Hell no. A tepid "meh" at best. The styling is derivative, the engines asthmatic, it's unfairly rare, and seriously, what the **** is an Isuzu. But I want it. It's right there with the Volvo 480.

Last edited:
The earlier versions with slim bumpers, round headlights and simple steelies is as good looking as any Fiat, Lancia or Alfa of that period and as an Izuzu it's more interesting than a Toyota, Honda or Datsun and flies a little under the radar as far as JDM fanboys go. A nice unmolested early one would be cool, but a late one with square lights, heavier/fussier bumpers and alloys would be uncool. Balances out as a high Meh.

Cool. Definitely a cool car.

I like old Japanese cars. I use to pick this kind of cars in GT4 and 5 all the time.

I definitely don't know this car's existence only because of GT, not at all.

Cool

What do you mean you can't smell pictures?

The 117 is one of those JDM oddities that speak to my inner child. What I would do to get my hands on an early example is best left untold, least I get banned in perpetuity.

This is the kind of car that would make me happy to get stuck in a traffic jam on a rainy day. It probably drives terribly, but who cares. Life is not a race, sometimes you just want a cozy retreat from the world, and this semi-obscure sexy-mobile from the Japanese economic boom is a fortress of solitude on wheels.

Is it cool? Hell no. A tepid "meh" at best. The styling is derivative, the engines asthmatic, it's unfairly rare, and seriously, what the **** is an Isuzu. But I want it. It's right there with the Volvo 480.

A decent one went for $10,000 on bring a trailer recently. Just get one.

Latest Posts

Back