citroen_m35_prototype_by_heuliez_11.jpg

Body Style: 2-door coupe
Engine: 995cc twin-rotor Wankel rotary engine
Power : 49 hp
Torque: 51 lb-ft
Weight: 815 kg
Transmission: 4-speed manual
Drivetrain: Front-engine, front wheel drive
Additional Information: The Citroën M35 was a test bed created by the French manufacturer, in order to test multiple components for future Citroën production cars. However, unlike most test bed cars, the M35 was created as a public test; customers of the brand were given the honor of driving their own M35 on the street, provided that they made long-distance tests and provided Citroën with suitable feedback regarding said tests. Many of the car's components were eventually used in other Citroën cars; parts of the suspension and the gearbox found their way into the GS, whereas the seats were used for the luxurious SM coupe. The Wankel rotary engine was used, in a more powerful spec, for the GS Birotor, and was created in conjunction with NSU as part of the Comotor company. Citroën claimed that the M35 had the performance of a Morris 1300, with a top speed of 144 km/h. Only 267 M35s were produced, despite a planned 500-car run.
1280px-M35_rouge.jpg

5743116687_720ae0df83_b.jpg

citroen-m35-2.jpg

11490044405_91c93a7553_b.jpg

M35-513.jpg

m-35-08.jpg

@Wiegert, if you do not mind me mentioning this, but it seems that you added a few pictures to the ones I used in my original post, and you changed the main one. What led to making that decision, if you don't mind me asking?

Looks like the result of a bizarre love triangle between an Ami, a GS and the father of the GS (Panhard 24).

I'm itching to say uncool. There are barely any of these prototypes in existence and they lack any sort of grace at the front, but I can see enough underlying Citroen style and weirdness without looking as unfortunate as its chevron-sporting supermini brethren to bring it above meh.

@Niku Driver HC If there are clearer images out there that I can use, I often try to implement them instead.

The M35 in the original header was also modified and I've mentioned before that I'd prefer it if nominations use a stock example as the primary image. I only kept that one in the spoilers because it showcases a different colour, albeit one it was never available in originally.

It's definitely not fast, but I like it. Interesting looks, rotary engine, and light weight make it cooler.

Cool.

I've never understood the fascination with these old, small, French cars. Most are pretty ugly to me. That Wankel engine is a nice touch, but that's about it.

Very very ugly. The only angle it's okay from is the rear 3/4 and even then it manages to look like the early scribblings of Chris Bangle, in a weird 70's way.

Sorry old Citroen, you get no points for being an old Citroen - Uncool

I've never understood the fascination with these old, small, French cars. Most are pretty ugly to me. That Wankel engine is a nice touch, but that's about it.
Fair enough point - the styling is often an acquired taste on these.

I'd say the appeal is in the engineering more than anything. Not just the rotary engine in this one, which if anything is a demerit given the rotary's general lack of industry success (though in the 60s/70s it must have seemed pretty advanced alongside the sort of engines normally put in cars like this), but in the car as a whole.

The French tended to put independent suspension in everything (this one was hydropneumatic, a technology so effective Citroen licensed it out to Rolls-Royce, Maserati and Mercedes) while the rest of the world was still using beam axles and leaf springs, which means older French cars tend to ride well. Citroen in particular often used inboard brakes - reducing unsprung weight, making ride and handling better. Generally on most French cars of the era, everything was also designed to be simple and inexpensive without actually being crap, as it would have been on something British.

There's just something very clever about them that some people find appealing. It's easy to make a great luxury car or sports car, because you can throw loads of money at it to ensure your goals are met. You have to be a lot more ingenious to develop a brilliant small car because you can't pass on huge development costs to the consumer.

None of which makes the M35 cool of course.

I'm not deterred by the styling though. A weird-looking classic car isn't nearly as off-putting as a weird-looking modern one, since most classics look out-of-place in a modern context.

I'm going cool on this one, as I would for similar "regular" cars of the 60s/70s: Rarity value (incredibly so in this case), and stands out on a crowded street without being shouty and flash.

Wierd, quirky, Citroen style. It's very ugly, but it's one of those rare cases where ugly cars can be cool. Solid Cool

Back