33.jpg

Body Style: 2-door coupé
Engine: 1.7L Ford Taunus V4
Power: 65-75 hp
Torque: 95-100 lb-ft
Weight: 810 kg
Transmission: 4-speed manual
Drivetrain: Front engine, front-wheel drive
Additional Information: Also called "Saab Sonett" in certain markets. Was sold in the USA as well as Europe. Was designed by Sergio Coggiola and Gunnar A. Sjogren. 0-60 times were between 13.0 seconds to 14.3 seconds. Top speed 103 mph. 8,368 97s were produced in it's five year production run.​

72saabsonett-ps.jpg
1280px-Saab_Sonett_III_Langen.JPG
1972-Saab-Sonett-III-coupé-exterior-front.jpg

ebay186007.jpg
Saab-Sonett-3.jpg
autowp.ru_saab_sonett_24.jpg

The engine sounds great, who cares if it's slow, just listen to that growl. I give it a SZ.

Return of the stupid US 5 mph bumpers again.

Doesn't detract from the car, though. High cool.

If the lines weren't so messy, this would look fantastic. Looks more like a poorly made kit car.

I think it looks kinda ugly. The long front starts it off nicely proportioned, then abruptly stops just past the roofline, and those later bumpers look awful as well. That tiny hood also looks like you'd have to lean across the car to get at the engine.

The V4 is pretty neat, but it's still a meh to me.

There's just something about the Sonett that makes it super cool. Aside from being a very good looking, well proportioned little car, with a neat little Ford V4. Only issue is with those ridiculous American market bumpers :irked:, not that it detracts from the car at all mind.

SZ

Last edited:
It looks like they started designing the car, and then realized they were running out of room when they got towards the back.

Sub-zero, takes enough cues from other epic sports coupes of the day while retaining enough SAAB mental-ness to be, well, SAAB.

Subzero because FWD, which makes sportscar purists turn a special shade of purple in consternation.

I wonder if it's a traditional SAAB ignition-barrel-location? That would make them sweat even more...

EDIT: It's not, it's on the steering column, I should have looked more closely at the OP :D

This thing just looks odd.

I just can't help but love the quirkyness of it. Although I have to say it looks plain ugly from some angles, namely front-on. I'll probably forget it even existed 5 seconds after typing this but it's just so damn cool.

If it wasn't so ugly it would be an instant Sub-Zero for quirkiness, but it is still Bloody Cool.

What the previous Sonett lacked in terms of styling presence, this one made up for with more prominent Saab touches. Far from the prettiest little thing but also doesn't shout "hand-assembled by Gary at No. 23" anywhere near as loudly.

Cool.

Latest Posts

Back