• 10 comments

1970-1980 Varela Andino GT

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
United States
United States
Poll 1391: 1970-1980 Varela Andino GT nominated by @conic
upload_2021-5-10_21-21-45.png

First it was called "Renault GT", But it was produced as "Varela Andino GT".
It was produced in 2 series (the first one from 1970 to 1973 and the second one from 1974 to 1980). The first one had a Renault Ventoux engine (845 cm3, around 40 hp) and the second one had the Renault 12 engine (1.4 litre, around 70 hp).
Production: 110 units (1st one 10 units aproximately and the 2nd one 100).
Weight distribution: 45% (front) 55% (rear).
Pedals from the Renault 4.
Frontal springs made by AG.
Chassis made by Spina Hermanos.
Rims by SIAP.
Top speed of 105 mph.
There was also one prepared by Oreste Berta, wich had a top speed of 111 mph.
upload_2021-5-10_21-20-30.png

1625254058243.png

1625254089163.png

Sorry I've been so behind on posting these lately, my life has been so damn busy lately.

Anyway this car gains points for being something strange and fun I've never heard of, but loses points for being kinda ugly. Balances to a meh. Also information and pictures are quite scarce.

The Varela Andino GT has a rather funky design. It has elements of the Ferrari 246 Dino and almost kind of has elements of the Ginetta G4. It's a very interesting car design wise. This car doesn't get "Sub-Zero" because I don't think it is bonkers enough. However, it doesn't get "Meh" or worse from me because it isn't generic or boring. So tab me for Cool on this car.

information and pictures are quite scarce.
Yeah, most of the information there is from a magazine that I found.
Anyway, they are as scarce as the info.
I'll give it a SZ. I've never seen one but, as I appreciate in the last image I love how those lights look in that rear. For me, they're better than in the second image.
Also, I'm a bit surprised that the Ventoux engine reached 178 km/h.

Last edited:
Anyway, they are as scarce as the info. So I'll give it a SZ.
I don't mean to say that you can't feel any particular way about the car or that you can't use any particular thing as a basis for feeling any particular way, but this reasoning seems strange to me and I wonder if you might explain further.

Or am I linking the two statements in a way they weren't meant to be linked?

Kind of cool. It's ugly and still a bit interesting. That small engine makes it even more cooler.

I don't mean to say that you can't feel any particular way about the car or that you can't use any particular thing as a basis for feeling any particular way, but this reasoning seems strange to me and I wonder if you might explain further.

Or am I linking the two statements in a way they weren't meant to be linked?
Yeah, fixed. That was meant to be separate.

Last edited:
I really like low volume light weight sports cars but too often the styling lets them down. This is another case of this, particularly in the first picture. Uncool.

You know? The name sounds like an Italian female movie star from the '50s & 60s. Looks like one(not a pretty one though), from the neck down, with that "missle" bra on the front.

Back