• 10 comments

1970-1986 Citroen GS/GSA/GZ

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
United States
United States
Poll 1379: 1970-1986 Citroen GS/GSA/GZ nominated by @Neddo
wallpapers_citroen_gs_1970_1_b.jpg

Body Style: 4 door fastback (for GS and exclusively GZ), 5 door hatchback (for GSA), 5 door estate, 3 door van
Engine: 1-1.3l flat 4 air cooled (GSA), 2l Birotor Wankel (GZ)
Power: 54-65 HP for flat 4s and 107 HP for Birotor
Torque: 70-98 Nm for flat 4s, 140 Nm for Birotor
Weight: 900-950 kg
Transmission: 4 and 5 speed manuals, 3 speed semi automatic (Birotor used this one only)
Drivetrain: FF
citroen-gs-11.jpg

citroen-gs-02.jpg

Citroen_GSA_X1_1984.jpg

citroen-gsa-break_3771_4.jpg

2cf619d71d511433699c9520a45999da.jpg

There is a cool factor to this car. It may look pretty plain, but its design alone warrants a Cool from me. That is unless there is a certain persona attached to this car. For example, if a certain kind of teenybopper or a hair dresser would drive a certain car. Anyhow, this is a Cool Citroën.

A cd factor of 0.318 and self levelling gas spring suspension in a family car, in 1970! At a time when a lot of manufacturers thought cart sprung live axles were perfectly acceptable. Styling wise I really love the simple but effective surfacing and the overall shape is just gorgeous.

I really wish Citroen still made cars like this. SZ.

Credit where it's due, this is exactly the kind of car I would imagine when I'm thinking of french and quirky cars, so a low cool for me.

An early one with those clean lines, without the rub-strips and with the chrome rather than the matt black window surrounds etc, would be a low cool for just being your typical Citroen engineering oddball. Once they started trying to modernise it in the early 80's it looked very dated very quickly and it's truncated CX proportions didn't have the wow-factor saving grace of it's larger sibling. Balanced out to meh.

The Birotor version is hardly even worth a footnote, as it sold terribly and Citroen quickly tried to erase its existence from public memory.

Definitely a cool car because of the design and technical features ahead of its time.

Everything on this car screams Meh or Uncool.

But then... you have that steering wheel and instruments panel. :drool:

Subze... no, not really. But it's a very, veeery high Cool from me.

I had a couple of these many moons ago.

A ‘79 GSA Pallas, in black with a beige velour interior my dad gave me when I passed my test at 17 - drove it to school in the U6th.

A mid 70’s GS similar to the car in the photo above bought as a stop gap after I wrote my mk2 Mexico off - pale blue with a dark blue velour interior. Passed on to my brother when he wrote his 1275gt off.

Zippy engines, mostly decent ride (very good, just crashed over potholes or transverse ridges), heavy steering (no power assistance), ludicrous brakes (a pressure switch with zero travel), spaceship dash, handbrake in the middle of the dash that worked on the front wheels.

They were never really cool. A CX, on the other hand...

Back