• Poll closed .

Wiegert

Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
1975-1989 Ferrari 308 GTB / GTS nominated by @Sp3edst3r

1984_Ferrari_308_GTB_qv.jpg

Body Styles:
2-door Berlinetta (GTB), Targa Top (GTS)
Engine: 2.9L 16/32 valve V8
Power: 240-250 hp
Torque: 192-209 lb-ft
Transmission: 5-speed manual, synchromesh on all forward gears
Drivetrain: Transverse mid-engine, rear wheel drive
Additional Information:
The GTB/GTS has become one of the more recognizable and iconic cars produced by Ferrari to date. It was made famous on the television series Magnum P.I.. The series' lead, Thomas Magnum (Tom Selleck) drove the car around Oahu for 8 seasons while on his investigations, from 1980-1989. Several 308 GTS cars were used, a new one for each season, most being auctioned off after filming. The first was a 1979 model with chassis number 28251.
More than 20,000 examples of the general 308 shape were produced between 1975 and 1989, making it the most successful Ferrari ever made – at least in terms of numbers produced.
The earlier cars were made from ‘veteroresina’ or glass-fibre before production of steel bodies started in 1977 and there were wet-sumped and dry-sumped versions of the 3.0 V8 (both carburettor and fuel injection-fed), as well as a removable hard-top model (GTS).
The sweet-spot of 308 production by common consensus came about in 1982 with the launch of the Quattrovalvole model, available both as a GTB and GTS. The advent of fuel injection initially brought about a drop in power from the carb’-fed engine, but the Quattrovalvole (four valve per cylinder) brought the performance back.
Relatively few of the deep-valanced, shortened-bumper QVs were made.​

Magnum-PI.jpg

Ferrari%20308%20%282%29.jpg

308interior.jpg

Ferrari-308-GTS-s-sa-lr.jpg

05-08-2008-id_30244_ferrari-308-gts_1-copia.jpg
a9df3d4f8365ee7c9db9e1bf1f6d1fec.jpg

Sub zero. Great performance, iconic Ferrari design, making this one of the greatest Ferraris to come out of the 1970's.

I was swaying between cool and sub zero, then I remembered I saw one pottering about town last month and thought it was literally every type of awesome.

High cool. Great looks and decent performance. I always enjoyed working on these. I wouldnt feel bad modifying one either.

To me they always look a bit clumsy in photographs, but they look stunning in person. I maintain cool is almost entirely an aesthetics question. Solid cool for me, only because other Ferraris are cooler.

A slightly affordable Ferrari that looks great, has good performance and also has pop up headlights, SZ.

I absolutely love the way the chin bumper sticks out a little at the bottom. It's fantastic.

Also while the blurb does say the span was of the "general 308 shape", the 328 is easily the inferior looking car. It's kind of like saying the "general 348 shape" was produced from 1989 to 1999 or the "general Testarossa shape" was done from 1984 to 1995.

Last edited:
Also while the blurb does say the span was of the "general 308 shape", the 328 is easily the inferior looking car. It's kind of like saying the "general 348 shape" was produced from 1989 to 1999.
Personally, I think the 328 looks better than the 308.

Uncool because tv car. Last month there was a classic car show and one of these was there, and all people could say was Magnum references, even if it was blue.

Soup-strainer moustache and open-shirt cool.

Not sub-zero, because not everybody can pull that off. Especially not with white pants and loafers.

My close friend's father has one of these. a 1987. It looks incredible.

TV stigma means nothing; the 1969 Charger is still the coolest car ever. The thousands and thousands of Fiero kitcars however, that's not cool at all. Lauda, Villeneuve and Scheckter helped with development, which brings the cool level back up.

However. People who know nothing about cars will know it's the Magnum PI car, and people who know about cars will ask a million questions to make sure it's not a Fiero in drag. Which isn't cool either way.

I don't care if someone jumps out of nowhere and says something to do with "Magnum P.I.". when they see a 308.

It's just one of those cars that gets cooler by the minute.

Sub-Zero.

I think up until the 360, just about any Ferrari is cool. The more angular design period cars are beginning to look better and better.

High Cool.

SZ. It's a V8 Ferrari, looks like a 288 GTO, probably drives amazing… and there's just that "wow" factor to it.

Back