1981-ac-3000-me-1.jpg

Body style: 2dr coupe
Engine: 3.0L Ford Essex V6
Power: 138 hp
Torque: 192 lb-ft
weight: 1085 kg
Transmission: 5-speed manual
Drivetrain: MR
Additional Info: Design originated as a prototype built by the Bohanna Stables company called the Diablo. The company hoped for interest from either AC or TVR - AC planned a turbocharged version, but it never came to fruition outside of third-party conversions. There are many turbo conversions that exist, including a single twin-turbo conversion that more than doubled the power output to an estimated 300 hp - Two Ghia-penned concept cars were built on 3000ME chassis. The 1981 AC Ghia and the 1983 Lincoln Quicksilver.

8890886-1.jpg

ac-alfa-3000ME-MkII-Prototype-12.jpg

diablostory_01.jpg

1ac771766d750099a50f68c92b4bd6d5.jpg

I really like the way this car looks. The outdated (even when it was made) engine keeps it from an SZ though.

Time has certainly made it cooler now then it was back in the day, but i can't get over the irony of an AC being a rebadged kitcar. Meh.

This was the car that killed AC. It debuted in 1973 but took six more years to get into production, it's known for having gearbox issues because the Ford engine doesn't like the custom-built gear linkages*, and it handles like a brick because it's a fiberglass body sitting on a sheet steel chassis, which is the main reason it took so long to build and ended up being far more expensive than originally planned. Only 80 were built and then the company halted production, then the remnants were moved to Scotland and built another 30 before the whole operation went under.

They're apparently somewhat desirable for their curiosity factor and affordability, but there's a good reason that even the rare factory prototypes are selling at auction for less than a new Honda Civic. Seriously Uncool.

*although it could have been worse, they had originally planned to recycle the engine and gearbox from the Austin Maxi.

Looks like a mashup between a Stratos, Esprit, Beta Montecarlo, and a hint of Triumph. Uncool, because ultimately it does look like a kit car.

I actually really like the looks of this car. Based solely on that I gave the car a cool. The "single" "twin" turbo should really have been the only option for an engine. That along with its tumultuous history under AC keeps it from rising to SZ.

You’d be better off getting the equivalent Lotus. (Or really anything else). But it’s obscure and somewhat rare so that raises it up from uncool.

I’ll give it a meh.

Last edited:
It kinda reminds me something like a small and funky Ferrari from the 70's in that red, but I do see that it looks like a strange kit car, so meh

Back