GTP Cool Wall: 1979-2002 Volkswagen Type 2 (T3)

• Thread starter Wiegert
  • 21 comments

1979-2002 Volkswagen Type 2 (T3)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wiegert

Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
1979-2002 Volkswagen Type 2 (T3) nominated by @Turbo

autowp.ru_volkswagen_t3_caravelle_4.jpg

Body Style: 3-door van, 3-door pickup
Engines: 1.6L petrol F4, 1.6L diesel I4, 1.7L diesel I4, 1.9L petrol F4, 2.0L petrol F4, 2.1L petrol H4, 2.3L petrol I5, 2.5L petrol I5, 2.6L petrol I5, 3.2L I6, 3.2L F6, 3.7L I6
Power: 49-231 hp
Torque: 76-209 lb-ft
Weight: 1365-1695 kg
Transmission: 3-speed automatic, 4-speed manual, 5-speed manual
Drivetrain: Rear-engine, rear-wheel drive / rear-engine, all-wheel drive​

Vw_t3_s_sst.jpg
vw_transporter_t3_luft_v_sst.jpg

volkswagen-t3-pickup-1.jpg

bimg_6458_jpg.jpg

vw-vanagon-paint-sample-pastel-white.jpg
18.jpg
1984-1986_Volkswagen_Caravelle_(253)_CL_van_(2015-12-07)_02.jpg
1991_Volkswagen_Transporter_(245)_2-door_utility_(2015-07-10)_02.jpg
1985-Volkswagen-Type-2-Transporter-DoKa-Interior.jpg

Those 6 cylinder versions shouldn't be in this poll. They aren't VW products. The 3.2 was a 10 piece production by Porsche and the other 2 were Oettinger aftermarket upgrades.

I don't think there's anything remotely cool about driving this on the daily. It's not even ironic like the hippie bus.

Last edited:
SU

These will never be cool for me, regardless of the model, and the dumpy looks of the T3 being voted only compound that for me. Was never a fan its predecessors; the T2 or T1 to start with.

Learned to drive on one of these, still have ours actually (it's in pieces, fuel system/brake system rebuild in progress) and even though it's slow, ugly, with toaster-on-wheels styling that has a horrible drag coefficient meaning 60 MPH is a stretch, plus an engine that in our case is a pain in the 🤬 to work on (we've got the H4 engine...) and you end up... with a charismatic piece of rolling metal that somehow I love.

SZ.

You can do anything with these vehicles, the possibilities are limitless. They drive well on all types of terrain, can be used as residences, and even be bought in a Porsche-esque configuration. And they are relatively cheap to purchase and maintain. I could care less that these are driven by "hippies". High Cool.

Uncool. Van people are the most annoying overlanders and they almost all drive one of these.

If a child was asked to draw a picture of a car that conveyed the word 'narcolepsy', this is what you'd get.

When you'll end up stuck behind one struggling to keep a 40mph average on a one-lane country road with hills, you'll have the same reaction everyone has to this pile of crap. Cancer on wheels.

It's a van that doesn't have the charm of the earlier kombis. And charm is the only reason the earlier ones are any cool.

I'll be nice and just say uncool.

Back