StarionGX82Heck.jpg

Early_Mitsubishi_Starion_Turbo.jpg

6030283138_4dc8c167dc_b.jpg
301_0203.jpg

mitsubishi-starion-front-end.jpg

DSC_0036.jpg

1987ChryslerConquestTSi.jpg

249170_12163225_1989_Chrysler_Conquest.jpg

I had no idea what this car even was 'til I saw one in my old neighbor's driveway & talked to him about. Had a short go in it once with him, immediately saw why he had kept it since '91; thought it was fun car. Cool for me.

A cool sporty car, during the early days of the Mitsu/Chrylser effort something that was more interesting then later creations between the two groups.

Pile on unreliable junk but GOD I love these so much and don't know why. 340 swaps in these are badass though. Bulletproofing the drivetrain for sure.

10 years ago i would of said uncool, but now i would say it's aged enough to remove all the ricers off it and move it to a low cool, but there are quite alot of rust buckets out there.

Mitsubishi variant is a low cool, Chrysler version is Uncool.

Balances to Meh.

The outside-of-the-box choice for those in the market for a 80's japanese sports car. I love these so much.

Also rally car.

Solid Cool

Growing up in Japan during the 80's, Celica XX's, Fairlady Z's & Savannah's were too easy. You couldn't care less about stuff like quality when you are ten. Starion looked cool. :P

Jackie Chan's Starion, tuned by HKS.

p1.jpg

p1.jpg

I love it. :lol:

That version alone should warrant a Sub-Zero, but I'm not that crazy. Still, it's an amazing car simply because it was the choice of the uncommon people, those who thought a Supra was too mainstream. Also, it is a very competent rally car (as Top Gear showed :lol:), which only adds coolness.

All in all, it's a very solid, very high cool. Who cares Chrysler sold one, when you can have something this unique?

dodge conquest tsi by spotterjeff, on Flickr

Maybe because they don't get much love, I think they're cool. Then again pretty much all 1980's Japanese sports cars (even with US badges) are all cool in my book. And they definitely look good cruising the highway as my above photo demonstrates.

Much more individual than a supra.

My dad had a gallant with the same engine in '88, and it was bloody brilliant to drive. Bags of lag, decent handling and a full on brown velour interior. I used to love driving it.

Cool if unmodified.

It's difficurt fol a cal to be coor when it has such a leputation fol attlacting lacist jokes.

Oops.

Yeah, even ignoring the fact that the first thing that tends to come up when discussing the Starion is the story about their Japanese marketing department being able to pronounce 'Stalion' correctly (Starion is honestly a better name for a car, even if it's not very good), the fact of the matter is that it's a huge pile of the bad side of 80s car design, and while strangely desirable to us car lovers, it doesn't look great to the normals.

I'm not a fan of these at all. It somehow manages to look both nondescript and fussy at the same time.

Beyond my dislike of the Starion/Conquest, Mitsubishi aren't a cool brand. Aside from a brief boost by dominating the WRC, they have generally offered a series of dull, miserable cars both before and especially since. I like the FTO and the Evo V, and would probably sacrifice a kidney for an Evo VI Makinen, but even then I'd have to ask questions as to whether any of them are actually cool. Based on that reasoning, the Starion can't be cool, not even slightly.

Perhaps one of the most under-rated Mitsubishis in my opinion. I always liked the way the car looked as compared to its competition, it gave it that sporty appeal to it (Plus I absolutely LOVE lip spoilers), and on performance they weren't all too bad.

Hell even Jeremy Clarkson was able to make a good looking Starion.

Large Image.jpg

Unfortunately though what stops this from being Sub-Zero is that most of the good Starions are now gone, and of what's left are often in poor condition. Still though, I'd say this car is "Cool".

Last edited:
Back