• Poll closed .

Wiegert

Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
1984-1991 Renault Alpine GTA nominated by @Turtle

GTA.jpg

Body Style: 2-door coupe
Engines: 2.8L V6, 2.5L Turbocharged V6 (Turbo)
Power: 160 hp, 200 hp (Turbo)
Torque: 166 lb-ft, 214 lb-ft (Turbo)
Weight: 1147-1197 kg
Transmission: 5-speed manual
Drivetrain: Rear-engine, rear wheel drive
Additional Information:
The Renault Alpine GTA was the first car launched by Alpine under Renault's ownership and was preceded by the Alpine A310. With its aerodynamic shape, it boasted a best-in-class drag coefficient of 0.28 to 0.30, depending on variant. The GTA used the PRV V6 in both naturally-aspirated and turbocharged varieties, with lower outputs in later catalyzed cars. In 1990 the Le Mans version was released, sporting an aggressive bodykit and BBS wheels but with performance identical to the standard Turbo model.

The GTA was succeeded by the Alpine A610.​

renault_alpine_gta_v6_turbo_mille_miles_2.jpg

Renault_Alpine_GTA_rear_20081206.jpg

sur9lcspfka1yoansc7a.jpg

renault_alpine_gta_v6_turbo_le_mans_4.jpg

alpine-gta-02.jpg

093e019c9dcc188fe9d3b5665cf38132.jpg

Wow. They took the A310, and "updated" it. Can't say it translates well.

Also, didn't Clarkson try an unplanned durability test in this versus a concrete barrier?

Uncool.

This and the immediate followup are about the only French cars I would ever really want to own. A Delorean made by actually competent people.

And if that stupid Renault CEO could have waited another year or two before being assassinated, we could have even had these in America. What an asshole.

It is not as legendary as the A310, that's for sure. But it still has great looks, impressive performance, and a very low drag coefficient. Cool in my book.

Made of plastic and still they rot away.

Would have been a cool car if they just used a bit of craftsmanship while building them.

While the PRV was unfortunate choice as powerplant in any form, it's still a great car.

Hey look at me I drive a **** box that's probably rusting away and I think im cool car man

Uncool.

Fibreglass is pretty rust-proof.

And yet, most of them still rot. Only the panels are plastic. It still has a metal chassis hidden away. And that is where the problems are.

You need to strip the car almost completely to do any kind of welding.

Stunning. I've been at very illegal speeds in one of these when they were still new. Who cares if the build quality isn't great and the interior looks like it was designed by a cheap toy manufacturer, they're as cool as a cucumber in deep space.

Back