1985-1987 Citroen BX Sport nominated by @Furinkazen

bx16v2.jpg

Stats

Production
1985-1987

Styles
5-door hatchback

Engine
116 ci/1,905 cc naturally aspirated DOHC inline 4 (rated 124 HP & ??? lb-ft)

Transmissions
5-speed manual

Layouts
Front-engine, Front-drive

Related
Peugeot 405
Other Citroen BX models

Trivia
The nomination listed this car as having 126 HP rather than 124. That figure appears in the main Wikipedia article on the Citroen BX and, judging by the page on the engine used, may have been transposed rather than converted from PS. If it actually was 126 HP, tell me so I can fix it.

My Take
I'm not really sure I have one. Meh, maybe, although it could go slightly either way.

Cubic inch displacement statistics retained, despite @Zenith's apparent opposition. At the very least, what harm could there be in having it?

The GTI 16v version had 160 HP. Same engine than a Peugeot 405 MI 16. I had one. Was a very nice wolf in sheep clothing.

Old Citroen = cool.

Odd choice by @Furinkazen on the Sport though. The GTi, with the same engine as the 405 Mi-16 (i.e. a 16v version of the Peugeot 205 GTi's engine) would be the more natural choice for a forum focused so heavily towards car enthusiasts.

Edit: Tree'd by @Cherokee above!

That said, the coolest BXs for me are the earliest ones with the crazy interiors and cleaner lines.

Probably the least cool BX given the bodywork.

My dad had a couple of BX's many years back... Great ride, great seats, interesting interior, comical cornering (though much more stable than the GS & GSA he had before.

First contribution and I thought I would pick something different. Also my dad owned a standard BX so it is pretty much first car I ever remember sitting in. Grunty sounding thing.

Never found Citroens to be cool, personally. Had it been the under-the-radar GTi, it would have been a low cool. But this scores a meh from me.

Looking at it I can't give it anything below cool. It's a Citroen, but an old one and it looks pretty nice IMO. Cool.

We already had the 16v, which aesthetically is exactly the same (can't we just have the standard model). So, I reiterate my vote, sub zero.

Old Citroen = cool.

Odd choice by @Furinkazen on the Sport though. The GTi, with the same engine as the 405 Mi-16 (i.e. a 16v version of the Peugeot 205 GTi's engine) would be the more natural choice for a forum focused so heavily towards car enthusiasts.

Apart from the Sport preceding the GTi 16V, as well as the launch of the MkII (I think Sport models still had the funky interior), I don't see too much point in having this polled when the 16V was nominated a few months ago.

My opinion doesn't differ much this time around either. While having lower performance figures than the later 16V while dressed up in a much more sporty frock makes it ever so slightly less cool, the more interesting interior just about puts it on equal terms with the 16V.

Last edited:
Cubic inch displacement statistics retained, despite @Zenith's apparent opposition. At the very least, what harm could there be in having it?​

Absolutely none, I'm a little old school and still appreciate the cubic inch spec.

I voted Meh by the way, don't hate it or love it.

Normally hatches are right up my alley, especially if they're kinda quirky. Just can't like this one though.

The front end gets me excited because of the similarity to the Pug 205, a car I adore. But then my eyes keep going rearward, and I see those ugly wheels, and that rear wheel cover, and I just can't find it attractive.

Since "meh" votes are silly, I've gotta go Uncool.

I hate to disagree with you people. Old Citroën's are NOT Cool... they are horrible.

Seriously Uncool.

Seriously uncool, just like people who insist on using outdated measurement systems such as Cubic Inches.

Use CCs like any normal human being.

Back