BMW_M5_E28_Minervablau.jpg

Body Styles: 4-door sedan
Engines: 3.5L I6 (BMW M88/S38)
Power: 256-282 hp
Torque: 243-251 lb-ft
Weight: 1430-1551 kg
Transmission: 5-speed manual
Drivetrain: Front engine, rear wheel drive
Additional Info: "The first BMW M5, based on the E28 5 Series, made its debut at the Amsterdam Motor Show in February 1984. It was the product of demand for an automobile with the carrying capacity of a saloon (sedan), but the overall appearance of a sports car. It utilized the 535i chassis and an evolution of the bodykit from the M535i. At its launch, the E28 M5 was the fastest production sedan in the world."​
bmw_m5_1985_pictures_1.jpg

images_bmw_m5_1985_1.jpg

1920px-BMW_M5_E28_US.jpg

bmw_m5_1985_photos_1.jpg
bmw_m5_1985_photos_2.jpg

Last edited:
Just the right amount of agression to not be considered too shouty, and old enough to not fall into the "uncool because modern BMW" category.

Borderline of Sub-Zero and Cool dependant on mood (went for SZ).

80s in the wrong way. ie. Not a 635 CSi. Give it ten years or so and things might be very different.

80s in the wrong way. ie. Not a 635 CSi. Give it ten years or so and things might be very different.

I had a 635CSi, and an E28 528i, I loved the 635, but even in non M guise, the E28 was the better car. I appreciate that doesn't necessarily make it cool though.

It set the benchmark for all super saloons that followed.

Very Cool.

A very, very high cool for me. Really kickstarted the entire performance sedan segment. If I really think about, it should've been a sub-zero actually...

Currently very close the the point of turning from uncool to cool. Nearly all the 18-year-old yobs have switched to E34/E36s, but the image, despite considerably less noticeable as it was 5-10 years ago still has an affect on its coolness.

E28s have been cool in general for a while now, I think. Not quite on par with the E24 in terms of poise, but it's from an era where BMW were producing their most attractive saloons.

This M in particular is closer to being Sub-Zero than any subsequent generation of M5. And they've always scarce enough that seeing/being in/driving one would be rather special.

High cool.

Glorious-sounding six-cylinder with ITBs in one of the handsomest sedans of the 1980s, from a time when BMW was more down-to-earth. Very SZ.

The E34 is the best my favourite 5-series but this is right, right up there.

Sub-Zero

Meh.

This is the saloon that benchmarked all the fast saloons afterwards.

But they're falling into the hands of the stance, stretch, bro, swag, instagram/hashtag obsessed, bearded, no sock wearing, cheeky nandos tossers.

It'll be cool in 5-10 years. The M badge has become so prolific due to the M Sport trim level, it doesn't really mean anything to the casual observer any more. A not-quite-classic 5-series with an M badge is just an old BMW to the average man/woman/child on the street. Meh.

Sub Zero. Light sedan with strong powerplant, RWD and manual to go with it. Not the fastest or most powerful 4-seater (Lambo has that honor) but still. Would hoon.

Back