volvo-coupe-1.jpg

Body Style: 2-door coupe
Engines: 2.0L turbocharged I4, 2.3L turbocharged I4
Power: 162-201 hp
Torque: 173-206 lb-ft
Weight: 1560 kg
Transmission: 4-speed automatic, 4-speed manual
Drivetrain: front engine, rear-wheel drive
Additional Information: Arguably Volvo's most elegant and luxurious vehicle; it was known to have superior build quality, have high amounts of safety features as well as luxury amenities. It was styled by Bertone, and was Volvo's competitor to the Maserati Biturbo. Roughly 5,600 were made in 6 years.​

1481152251_s-l1600.jpg

780_2.3t_BVM_US_speciale_1-1030x773.jpg
Volvo-780-Coupe-rear-three-quarters.jpg
1987-1991-Volvo-780-front-interior.jpg
346401-1000-0.jpg

One of the only cars ever that managed to look boxy and stylish at the same time.

The manual transmission is a 4+1, four "real" gears and an electronic overdrive, so effectively a five speed gearbox.

Not quite sub-Zero, it's a 700 series Volvo after all, but a very high cool. That thing really has serious presence when seen among the modern plastic bubbles.

Not quite sub-Zero, it's a 700 series Volvo after all, but a very high cool. That thing really has serious presence when seen among the modern plastic bubbles.

Exactly what I wanted to say.

262c. Insta subzero.

"Granddad, don't be hysterical, your car doesn't have one of those."

Looks like an Audi 80 that forgot to wipe it's face after having chocolate.

Meh. I'm not too in it for Volvos. I'm not even gonna use my signature FIB Colour combination for this post.

That's interesting, since the Biturbo predated the 780 by half a decade.

The Volvo is obviously the better car because how could it not be; but Volvo still paid Bertone to clone and build a scaled up non-sporty equivalent of a car that was already known to be terrible by that point.

Last edited:
A Sub-Zero jaw-and-panties dropping machine it isn't. But it does look better than most 80s boxes, I can't quite put my finger on why, and manages to look both sporty and restrained. Turbo power and rear-wheel drive should allow it to be a decent performer and that, matched with it's looks, is enough for a high cool.

I would give it a low cool, as it is a low jey car, that seems fun to drive with its rwd and power. but it also seems super confy for its time

Sub-zero, does everything so well, so Swedishly and so sensibly but never mentions it to anyone. The real James Bond of a car, but without a grappling hook*.

*Although, being Swedish, that was probably an option.

It's cleanly styled, doesn't really say much about itself and yet in top trim, would be deceptively quick.

Very low cool.

At a glance, I'd probably think it's nothing more than a generic 80's dusty box I always see around here, but the Bertone logo on the side kinda reminds me of the AMG Galant (logo wise).

Cool.

Back