Transmission: 4-speed auto, 5-speed manual
Drivetrain: FR
Additional Information: Irmscher version not included
opel_senator_341.jpg

46920436424_a9b2824623_b.jpg

opel-5029434_1280.jpg

OPEL-Senator-1028_25.jpg

Last edited:
Uncool from me. Nothing about it seems that interesting, and it's not the prettiest sedan from that period either. If it looked a little less bland I would have gone with "meh" or hell, maybe even higher. But as it is, it gets an uncool.

Its... well... its certainly understated. The engine are underwhelming, it's got no little quirk to kink on. At least it's rear wheel drive and has a standard. About the only thing that keeps it above uncool.

I think it was quite a decent car in its time. Not sure why it existed as it was a slightly bigger version of the Opel Omega/Vauxhall Carlton. The potato masher grill was controversial but has grown on me over time and is less bland than its smaller sibling. I think overall its a meh.

Seriously uncool. I will say I like the car. Something about the high green house of the era I like. Thin pillars. Boxy, but not overly, Volvo-esque boxy. Very much the look of the time, and rear wheel drive; but looks too much like the first gen Ford Taurus. And I cannot get that out of my head when I see it.

It's what your high school algebra teach owned.

And the wheels. Anything from the time period more German than those wheels?

I'd expect the name Senator to be on something big and grandiose, like it was meant to be driven by an important politician. That car is about as grandiose as beige wallpaper, but given that Opel was GM's European arm at the time I guess that's to be expected because almost every GM product of the early '90s looked and felt just as uninteresting.

Uncool, only staying away from SU because I have an irrational love of old digital dashboards, as impractical and unreliable as they tended to be.

I'd expect the name Senator to be on something big and grandiose, like it was meant to be driven by an important politician. That car is about as grandiose as beige wallpaper, but given that Opel was GM's European arm at the time I guess that's to be expected because almost every GM product of the early '90s looked and felt just as uninteresting.

These were actually considered pretty big cars in their day. Closer in size to an S-Class/7-series then an E-Class/5-series and were pretty plush and well appointed, for a Opel/Vauxhall/GM product.

I was going to give it uncool but then read it has RWD and a manual transmission. It has therefore been elevated to a meh.

Headrests with holes in them are also pretty neat. Pretty pointless but still pretty neat.

Meh. I know I'm in the minority here but I actually really like the styling of this car. It's quite upscale, aerodynamic, and good looking, as well as ahead of its time for 1987. The name "Senator" sounds pretty classy and fits the car well. I do wish they would've put a V8 in it though, or at least gotten more power out of the I6s.

Back