• Poll closed .

Wiegert

Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
1987-1997 Nissan Safari / Patrol nominated by @Murcie_LP640

38176790001_original.jpg

Body Styles: 3-door SWB wagon, 5-door LWB wagon, 2-door cab chassis utility
Engines: Petrol - TB42S/E 4.2L I6, RB30S 3.0L I6 | Diesel - RD28T 2.8L turbo I6, TD422 4.2L I6
Power: 123 hp (TD422) - 173 hp (TB42S)
Torque: 165 lb-ft (RB30S) - 236 lb-ft (TB42S)
Weight: 1839 kg
Transmission: 4/5-speed automatic, 5-speed manual
Drivetrain: Front-engine, rear wheel drive / all wheel drive
Additional Information:
While the later Y61 Patrol may have some more popularity due to the tuning potential of the giant powerhouse that is the TB48DE, in its first few years the Y60 Safari even had the mighty Toyota LandCruiser worried when it came to off-road performance and on-road comfort, which is something that the Y61 struggled to achieve during its entire lifespan despite effectively being an evolution of this "fourbie."

While the Y60 shared some body panels and looked very similar to its predecessor, its main trump card over its competition was that this was the first Safari to have coil springs at all four corners. Badged as a Patrol for export markets, it sold like hotcakes and promptly left Toyota's now-obsolete leaf-sprung 60 Series LandCruiser in its wake.

Its long-travel, coil-spring suspension offered a blend of on-road comfort and off-road performance that couldn’t be matched – at least without taking out a second mortgage and buying a Range Rover. Up front, the Patrol sported a three-link, live-axle, coil-spring arrangement, while the rear was a five-link design (the cab-chassis variant was initially offered with only a leaf-spring rear-end). Sway bars were fitted at both ends and some models featured rear sway bar disconnects for increased wheel travel in off-road situations.

From 1989 to 1994 Ford Australia rebadged the Y60 Patrol as the Ford Maverick, and was offered in both SWB and LWB wagon versions.

In its final years the Y60 was no longer a match for Toyota's now fully-developed 80 Series that they rushed to market in 1990, however the Y60 cemented the Patrol as a genuine force to be reckoned with.

nissan_patrol_2422432_orig.jpg
Nissan_Safari_Y60_003.JPG
NISSANPatrolSWB-1002_6.jpg
Nissan_Safari_Spirit 1987-1997.jpg
1988-1994_Ford_Maverick_wagon_02.jpg
1995-1997_Nissan_Patrol_(GQ_II)_RX_wagon_02.jpg
nissan_safari_high_roof_2.jpeg
74fadaa5cde19413398796597875b001.jpg

While it's an SUV and not a Land Cruiser (the original Land Cruiser is uber cool to me), the fact that it's a Nissan and decent off-road makes it cool.

I will probably be the only one to vote Sub-Zero and on my own nomination at that but bugger it.

Built like a tank, gets you wherever you want and need to go, and a muddy one of these has monumental chick-pulling power. First-hand experience.

Damn, whuile I'm not hearing much of this thing, it looks cool enough in my book. Huh.

Low Cool, just barely. Looks like a fun off-roader at it too.

I still see them rolling around from time to time although Y61 and Y62 are far more common...oh wait, it's about whatever it's cool or not, my bad.

I was deciding whatever I'm going for uncool or not but oh well ended up with beyond that.

The amount of young dickheads in Australia that drive these spewing black diesel smoke and sounding louder than a b-double is instantly SU.

I like it. It just misses out on a cool though because:

A. I don't like Separate Chassis SUVs and
B. It doesn't have a V8 in it. 123hp is Pathetic and 173hp is only just adequate.

If one of these had a V8 with at least 300bhp and Off Road modified suspension it would be Cool.

Stock, these are pretty Meh.

Well the 80 Series brought in the 1HD-T turbo diesel which was almost as powerful as the GQs petrol TB42 and had pretty massive torque at the time, and then the 1FZ-FE petrol but by the time that engine was brought in the GQ was 6 years in its lifespan and prior to the 80 series engines, the GQs engines were indeed pretty much lineball with the market. The Range Rover had a V8 of course but it was considerably more expensive.

Back