Body Style:
2-door coupe, 2-door convertible
Engine: 3.8L V6
Power: 165-170hp
Torque: 210-220 lb-ft
Weight: 1540-1630kg
Transmission: 4-speed automatic
Drivetrain: front-engine, front-wheel drive

Solid cool. I sat in one on debut, at the NY Auto Show. Played with the screen controls. Me and one of my cousins dreamed that we could watch tv from it. This and the Cadillac Allante, were two of many favorites of mine back in the '80s.

This is strangely good looking, especially as a coupe. That saves it from being Uncool, at least for me.

Just barely cool.

This car is one of my many guilty pleasures. The Reatta, although half-assed and not very polished, is proof that GM really could produce something quite futuristic and eye-opening. This thing had a touch-screen in the interior in 1989, the first production car ever to feature this. It's also quite a good looking car; it's soft curves are very pleasing to the eyes, and its proportions are spot-on. It's oddly reminiscent of the Porsche 928. I'd even dare say that, despite this being much cheaper, it was a more alluring car than the Cadillac Allante which was offered at the same time.

I've posted this in another thread before, but in my opinion, the Buick Reatta was what spurred the Japanese personal luxury coupe. Although the Reatta was by no means a sales success, it seems evident that the Japanese really took note after the Reatta's debut. The Reatta introduced the idea of stuffing futuristic tech into an old-fashioned luxury coupe, and this is what spawned cars like the Mazda Eunos Cosmo, Toyota Soarer/Lexus SC, and to a lesser extent, the Subaru Extent. The Soarer and Cosmo share styling cues with the Reatta as well, having soft, graceful curves and a short wheelbase.

But in any event, Meh is the highest I can give it. It's still a half-assed unpolished, underpowered '80s GM car bought by old folks just like any other Buick. I'd reckon that the average person couldn't distinguish one of these from a Chrysler Lebaron convertible.

Cool. Would be SZ if it had better specs. Really like the looks of these, and you don't see them very often either.

This had touch screen?! Looks slick, never seen this before...man, I miss Buick now.

Cool from me!
Buick is still here.
upload_2019-12-16_13-20-56.jpeg

These are the type of american cars that I like, full of outdated (but fascinating) tech and with adequate performance.
The styling on the Regatta always appealed to me, it's quite stylish and it gas a very clean design that I like a lot; and also this car is basically unknown to most people here where I live, so I can imagine the fact that everyone interested will ask questions about it and that fantastic touch screen :P
So, the verdict is a very low cool for being an unusual car from my point of view.

Most of the time, I'd say that any car that has a boxy look is an uncool from me.

But this is not the case.

Cool.

It would be cool except its drive train. A sports coupe should just not ever come fwd. Ehh, just not my taste. Uncool.

I've posted this in another thread before, but in my opinion, the Buick Reatta was what spurred the Japanese personal luxury coupe. Although the Reatta was by no means a sales success, it seems evident that the Japanese really took note after the Reatta's debut. The Reatta introduced the idea of stuffing futuristic tech into an old-fashioned luxury coupe, and this is what spawned cars like the Mazda Eunos Cosmo, Toyota Soarer/Lexus SC, and to a lesser extent, the Subaru Extent.

The Cosmo/929, XT, Soarer etc were all introduced long before the Reatta.. So no, this Buick did not spawn cars like that. A booming Japanese economy, a good exchange rate for the Yen and a leap in digitalised technology spawned coupes like that. Then the Americans had to turn around and make their cars more interesting and try to move on from the depressing 70s oil crisis era, because the Japanese were playing with the American car manufacturers.

The Cosmo/929, XT, Soarer etc were all introduced long before the Reatta.. So no, this Buick did not spawn cars like that. A booming Japanese economy, a good exchange rate for the Yen and a leap in digitalised technology spawned coupes like that. Then the Americans had to turn around and make their cars more interesting and try to move on from the depressing 70s oil crisis era, because the Japanese were playing with the American car manufacturers.
I specifically meant those cars in the early 1990s, not when they first came out.

Sure you did.

I've posted this in another thread before, but in my opinion, the Buick Reatta was what spurred the Japanese personal luxury coupe.

But..

The Reatta introduced the idea of stuffing futuristic tech into an old-fashioned luxury coupe, and this is what spawned cars like the Mazda Eunos Cosmo, Toyota Soarer/Lexus SC, and to a lesser extent, the Subaru Extent.

But..

How can the Reatta have spurred the early 90s generation of these cars, when that was the exact same recipe of the predecessor?

Oh look, an early 80s Soarer interior
05d5c905f1315f963408833f8fe8d327.jpg

Toyota actually made a time machine after seeing the Reatta because they then learnt about the 'personal luxury coupe' and decided to bring it to the early 80s.

You want to keep on going?

Back