Body Style:
4-door sedan
Engine: 3.0L I6
Power: 190 hp
Torque:185 lb/ft
Weight: 1560 kg
Transmission: 4-speed automatic
Drivetrain: front engine, rear wheel drive​

1990_toyota_cressida_mx83r_glx_sedan_2010_09_19_01_2e71cd6792d3da5a94f1d1bff7ee4b67b4a3f6fb.jpg
1991-toyota-cressida-x80-sedan-9.jpg
1992_Toyota_Cressida_(MX83R)_Grande_sedan_(23417990115).jpg
1992-toyota-cressida-6.jpg
1990-toyota-cressida-interior-1.jpg

Back in Saudi Arabia my dad used to own a 2.4L I4 cressida with a 5 speed manual and if you put more power in this car it becomes a drift machine(I obviously didn't do that).

I tried to learn how to drift with it which didn't turn out well... went straight into a pole which bent the chassis. Really fun car to learn how to drive as long as it's in manual. His car's odometer stopped working at around 300K KMs, we had put much more than that. As any toyota of that era it was built to last even in the desert heat.

BTW I wasn't doing any of that crazy saudi drifting you see on youtube lol, was on a closed circuit.

Always quite liked the Cressida's, despite them fading into obscurity. However they do make a good drift machine, so that's a big plus :sly:. However, the MX83 gen of Cressida is not the best, but not terrible. The previous gen's of Cressida are better, specifically the MX30 based Cressida being my pick.

With that said, it's a meh.

Ew, a box on wheels. No cool factor, no redeeming features, just a boring car for boring people. Much like a Camry. Uncool.

Sub Zero.

This was the "original" Lexus. More an East Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens upscale car at the time. Than a North Bronx or Queens chariot. The Legend was fine. Maxima went the 4DSC route and the Accord was due or a massive change.

Back in '89/90, I didn't see old people driving these. They had already moved up to M5, Quattro, 500E/E500. I saw most Cressidas fitted with BBS, Enkei, etc.
Lowered with a classic set of wheels... Choice.

As visually interesting as a shipping crate, performance isn't exactly electrifying, but everything I've heard says that properly maintained ones will last until the sun burns out. Considering most modern cars are practically designed to be thrown away by the time they reach 100k miles, I'd consider that to be a big positive.

Meh, but more of a "Meh, not my kinda thing but it's alright."

As visually interesting as a shipping crate, performance isn't exactly electrifying, but everything I've heard says that properly maintained ones will last until the sun burns out. Considering most modern cars are practically designed to be thrown away by the time they reach 100k miles, I'd consider that to be a big positive.

I'm not sure that something so incredibly dull potentially lasting forever is much of a plus point.

I'm not sure that something so incredibly dull potentially lasting forever is much of a plus point.
You've obviously never bought a car that spent more of its first year in the shop than on the road. After that, having a car that runs forever and costs almost nothing to do so looks mighty appealing, even if it's the automotive version of beige carpeting.

Short answer: SU

Long answer:

As my mum used to own one back in 1992 all the way to 2011 or so where we gave it away to my uncle, it's been a rather large part of my life. It's pretty much the predecessor of the Toyota Camry (XV10) and it was insanely popular. It's one of my guilty pleasure, I drove it and prefer it over some newer cars.
Back in Saudi Arabia my dad used to own a 2.4L I4 cressida with a 5 speed manual and if you put more power in this car it becomes a drift machine(I obviously didn't do that).
^ pretty much that.

However in terms of coolness, this car is way below the levels of other Toyota's.

Screenshot_2017-07-13-21-54-52.png
20170621_183023.jpg

Owned by conservative parents...
Then by elderly people...
And now this...
(5:08)

SU.
Oh and Regular car dad owns one so...

Back