• Poll closed .
United States
Orange County, NY
GTP_GT916
Nii916
1988+ Peugeot 405 nominated by @Liquid
Peugeot405.jpg

Engines:
1.4L I4, 1.6L I4 (PSA XU5), 1.9L I4 (PSA XU9), 2.0L I4 (PSA XU10), 1.8L Turbodiesel I4 (PSA XUD7), 1.9L Diesel I4 (PSA XUD9)
Power: 1.4: 65 hp; 1.6: 92 hp; 1.9: 110-125 hp; 2.0: 160 hp; 1.8 TD: 92 hp; 1.9 D: 70 hp
Torque: 1.4: 82 lb-ft.; 1.6: 97 lb-ft.; 1.9: 118-125 lb-ft.; 2.0: 131 lb-ft.; 1.8 TD: 133 lb-ft.; 1.9 D: 89 lb-ft.
Weight: 1020-1430 kg
Transmission: 5-speed manual
Drivetrain: Front engine, front wheel drive
Body Styles: 4-door sedan, 5-door wagon
Additional Info: "The Pininfarina designed 405 was 1988 European Car Of The Year. A popular car during its production run; European production stopped in 1996 but continues under licence in Iran. It was used successfully in European touring cars and was also the basis for very successful Pikes Peak and Dakar cars. The top of the range model was the Mi16 trim (see photos)."​
Peugeot_405_front_20070926.jpg

Peugeot_405_rear_20070926.jpg

peugeot-405-mi16-2.jpg

peugeot-405-mi16_peugeotforum-be.jpg

KGrHqFhEE85leGmTOBPfGwUNfFw60_3.jpg

p1.jpg

Mi-16 ones are cool - quick, understated, fantastic-to-drive Pininfarina-styled sedans, with rarity to enhance the "ooh, don't see many of them" factor.

Regular ones are not, because they still have an air of the banger about them and most of the ones left are diesel, which as we know is not a cool fuel.

Given that regular ones outnumber Mi-16s, it has to be uncool on this one I'm afraid.

Had one these as the family car for several years. It did everything a car needs to do. Cool.

One of the dullest things to have come from Pininfarina. Completely eclipsed by the 406. Seriously uncool.

Last edited:
@homeforsummer took the words out of my mouth. Mi16 models were very cool (and a very cool name), but the non-Mi16 cars are quite very boring and not cool whatsoever.

One model doens't make up for the others. As much as it pains me, because I rather like them, they are uncool

I've never had anything against the design. But it does fall into the "Generic 90s Family Saloon" category unlike its executive brother (605). And of course, it was succeeded by the considerably more eye-catching 406.

Uncool.

Neat design and the Mi16 is awesome. But Danny is right, the 406 totally blew this one out of the water.

Uncool

Mi-16 would get a low Cool. The rest of the range is dull as all hell.

Balances to Uncool.

A small mid 80's bread and butter saloon that still looks great. That alone makes it cool.

I also think the Mi16 looks slightly tacky compared to the regular versions.

If we were voting on the rally or pikes peak versions, I'd give it a cool. But we aren't; we're voting on the entire line, which is mostly a boring crapbox sedan.

Uncool. Saved from SU by its racing pedigree.

I like them (though also prefer the 406, particularly the coupe). The rally versions were awesome, and awesome looking, but those aren't being polled here. I would give the Mi16 a cool but again we are polling the whole range, which can only really net off to a meh. Like them but cool they are not. And just realised how similarly we are all voting on this one :)

The buttons for the windows are in a weird place. It took me a while to actually find them.

Otherwise, it's a pretty nice sedan. Something different compared to what you'd usually see on the road.

Low cool.

Goes in the same category as Sierra, Mondeo, Passat, Vectra, Primera, Carina E and 626 of the same time period. The MI16 is cool, for being usually well kept and for the name MI16, which is quite unusual for number and letter combination. The regular ones on the other hand are either scraped or riddled with rust and bought to be just a cheap transportation before the car breaks down or fails the inspection so badly that it's cheaper to scrap it and buy another car. And even if it was driven by a pensioner who bought it as new and has kept it well because of the resale value, it's still just a rather generic looking late 80s saloon. Uncool.

I give it a cool (just about). It's one of those cars that in about 10-15 years time people will find cool (imo), though the same can be said for many cars really.

*snip* a 164. *snip*
I see that too, to a certain extent.

You're thinking of the larger 605 ;)

Edit: The 405 is just a less interesting version of the Citroen BX...
I think he was referring to the Alfa 164.

[EDIT] Oh i see what you mean. But it reminded me of a 164, too. The 605 didn't cross my mind.

Latest Posts

Back