GTP Cool Wall: 1989-2002 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class (R129)

• Thread starter Wiegert
  • 29 comments

1989-2002 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class (R129)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wiegert

Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
1989-2002 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class (R129) nominated by @WeThePeople

image.jpeg

Body Style:
2-door roadster
Engines: 2.8L I6, 2.8L V6, 3.0L I6 (190 hp), 3.0L I6 (231 hp), 3.2L I6, 3.2L V6, 5.0L V8 (306 hp), 5.0L V8 (326 hp), 6.0L V12
Power: 190-384 hp
Torque: 199 lb-ft - 420 lb-ft
Weight: 1800 - 2188 kg
Transmission: 4-speed 4G-TRONIC automatic, 5-speed 5G-TRONIC automatic, 5-speed manual
Drivetrain: Front engine, rear wheel drive
Additional Information: The 1989-2002 R129 was Mercedes-Benz's full-sized, luxury coupe. Princess Diana owned a 500SL herself. Some special editions of the R129 are the Silver Arrow Edition, 40th Anniversary Edition, and the Mille Miglia Edition. Overall, the R129 was a relatively good seller for Mercedes-Benz.

AMG variants are not included in this nomination as an AMG version of the R129 had already been polled.​

4487046450_c2a790cc5c_o.jpg

DSC00801-1024x409.jpg
45208b.jpg
1024px-MB_SL_500_SILVER_ARROW.JPG
hjj.jpeg

Didn't like them when new, but I really like these now.

I'd happily run a 500 in a nice discrete colour...can be picked up cheap as chips too.

These are just about sneaking into the classic category. Just. Like Stotty, I didn't like these when new, but they were built when Merc screwed them together well. The fact that they're neither particularly sporty or lightweight doesn't really matter now they're classics. Low cool.

Without the AMG being polled here, I cant say sub zero. Its just an open top luxury car that rides nice and looks nice. The fact you can get them for cheap today helps. Solid cool.

Dad has an '86 R107 SL560 neither he or I will drive much because it is just too cramped inside. Steering wheel is positioned oddly too. And why do the wipers go the wrong way on it? Germans drive on the left. I could see it on an MG, but a Mercedes? Annoyed me to no end the one time I drove it solo. The big 5.6l engine just whispers, It will run if you give it the spurs though. Not that you feel like it, because it floats down the road as if on air suspension. It is not, but I looked to make sure lol.

I like this generation. Never drove one, but I have sat in 2. Much roomier than R107. The ergonomics make sense lol. An early 500 with the M119 engine would be my pick. Low cool.

These are just about getting to the age where they're falling into the hands of classic car drivers rather than people you'd rather not associate yourself with. So it just about scrapes a cool.

Guaranteed to shut your spoilt upper-middle class teenage daughter up since 1989.

I understand that such an image associated with this car has almost entirely passed by this point and compared to the 00s SL, these do have a shred of period charm. But it'll forever be stuck in my mind as a plastic-y birthday gift for brats or a way for the '90s go-getters to reward themselves after a job well done.

Uncool.

Impossibly pretty in a brutish manner but with an impossibly horrible image problem.

Uncool

Excellent styling. Most I see lately are driven by older guys that are probably the original owner. Expensive to maintain, especially the earlier ones with the biodegradable engine harnesses. Low cool.

Cool. One of the last decent looking MB coupes, last one being R170 SLK. After that, the downwards spiral began and hasn't stopped ever since.

And why do the wipers go the wrong way on it? Germans drive on the left. I could see it on an MG, but a Mercedes? Annoyed me to no end the one time I drove it solo.

The arm is parked on the driver's side so that when the wiper is turned on, it wipes the driver's side first as it rotates before the passenger side, providing the person driving the car with visibility first.

#humanfactorsreasons

I think its a stylish car. Even though some models don't have that much horsepower, it's still fast.

Cool.

The R107 has 2 wipers oriented for a right hand driver. No trickery in the linkage I notice. Maybe they are defective on dad's car lol. Only R107 I have ever driven.

Unless you thought I was talking about R129.

I love the eccentric pivoting action of the wipers to increase the wiped area.

The R107 has 2 wipers oriented for a right hand driver. No trickery in the linkage I notice. Maybe they are defective on dad's car lol. Only R107 I have ever driven.

Unless you thought I was talking about R129.

Oh, I thought you were talking about the R129.

Having the wipers parked on the drivers side like in the R107 still allows the wiper to clear the driver's field of vision first when activated.

I will agree with that. However, being orientated that direction means the driver gets less wiper coverage on their side for the small gain in speed of clearing.

On topic the mono wiper is brilliant. I have seen it in action and it is mesmerizing to watch at first.

Back