GTP Cool Wall: 1991-1995 Toyota MR2 (W20)

1991-1995 Toyota MR2 (W20)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
United States
Orange County, NY
GTP_GT916
Nii916
1991-1995 Toyota MR2 (W20) nominated by @ilikewaffles11
image-jpg.432011

Engines:
2.2L I4 (Toyota 5S-FE), 2.0L I4 (Toyota 3S-GE), 2.0L Turbo I4 (Toyota 3S-GTE)
Power: 5S-FE: 130 hp; 3S-GE: 152 hp; 3S-GTE: 200-238 hp
Torque: 5S-FE: 145 lb-ft.; 3S-GTE: 200 lb-ft.
Weight: 1179-1262 kg
Transmission: 4-speed automatic, 5-speed manual
Drivetrain: Mid engine, rear wheel drive
Body Styles: 2-door coupe, 2-door T-top​
1024px-Toyota_MR2_%28SW20%29_ca_1995_at_Snetterton_2008.JPG

1280px-2nd_Toyota_MR2_--_11-10-2011.jpg

Toyota_MR2_W20_002.JPG

Toyota_MR2_W20_004.JPG

Toyota-MR2-05.jpg

mr2-4.jpg

TOYOTAMR2-3604_5.jpg

With plenty about and prices often dipping into the sub-two grand territory, they've become an ever more common option as a boy racer upgrade in the UK over the past few years. That and they never exuded the same level of charm of the W10, even with its relatively sound design.

They were pushing cool up until a decade ago, perhaps. Not so today.

Get's a cool from me, but only in near standard trim.

Unfortunately these cars are usually "modified" in the most terrible ways imaginable
and end up looking like total 🤬. :yuck:

Easy Cool from me, affordable, good looking, just a great all-rounder. A supercharged W10 however would be SZ :)

Uncool. It's one of those cars people use chassis codes to refer to, and that isn't cool. I really like them though and I'd even consider one in the near future.

The Fiero isn't really any cooler the second time around just because Toyota built it better, especially when this generation suffered from a lot of the same conceptual flaws and the previous MR2 set such a high standard.

Plus, this car in particular suffers hard from the same thing Baby Boomers pretend was the case for 60s American cars, as if every single model on sale was a fully loaded example with the most powerful engine. The pictures in the OP are proof enough of that.

I see one of these every day from my desk at work. One of my mates from uni had one as well. Lovely cars, and definitely cool.

Definitely Cool. Very rare to see one of these modified to look like a Ferrari here for an example, and the GT is genuinely quick. Plus targa top and pop up headlights.

This is cooler than the W10 (Am I in the minority on that?) but this car isn't cool. Falling into the hands of autocrossers and boy racers.

That said though, I think these are absolutely gorgeous and would love to own one, if I could find an unmolested example.

Uncool

These were available from 1989 to 1999, I don't know where you got that year range from in the OP. There was a few different 3sge engines available through the years. G limited versions made 177 hp and late versions had the beams 3sge making 200hp.

Cool, because it has hidden headlights, mid-engined sports car, looks nice, and it's a japanese sports car that doesn't get poorly modded by teenagers so often on the fact it's not cheap like a 240SX or MX-5 Miata. Every SW20 I've seen has been stock.

These were available from 1989 to 1999, I don't know where you got that year range from in the OP.

They weren't available in the US after 1995, and 1989 model year was the previous generation. 1991 to 1995 is the US availability.

Cool if it's a turbo. Meh if it isn't.

They were pretty affordable when they came out, but by 1995 a loaded one would break 35,000 dollars. That's nearly $55,000 in 2015 dollars. Which is why they went the way of the dodo in the U.S. That's getting close to M3/Porsche 968/Corvette territory (past base Corvette territory, actually), and the MR2 just couldn't compete.

Last edited:
They weren't available in the US after 1995, and 1989 model year was the previous generation. 1990 to 1995 is the US availability.

Cool if it's a turbo. Meh if it isn't.

They were pretty affordable when they came out, but by 1995 a loaded one would break 35,000 dollars. That's nearly $55,000 in 2015 dollars. Which is why they went the way of the dodo. That's getting close to M3/Porsche 968/Corvette territory (past base Corvette territory, actually), and the MR2 just couldn't compete.

1989 was the first year for the sw20, I know this for a fact because my friend had one. Having the US availability only on a Japanese car seems wrong to me. Correct me if I'm wrong but US didn't get the 3sge, the OP seems a bit inconsistent.

They weren't available in the US after 1995, and 1989 model year was the previous generation. 1990 to 1995 is the US availability.

I don't think that's the point. If it was made by Toyota from 1989 until 1999, then the years of this thread ought to be 1989-1999 regardless of model years or availability.

Unless this is exclusively about the USDM version, in which case I have to retract my post and vote because I was only referring to the UKDM version.

Does it really matter? His years are for USDM
1989 was the first year for the sw20, I know this for a fact because my friend had one. Having the US availability only on a Japanese car seems wrong to me. Correct me if I'm wrong but US didn't get the 3sge, the OP seems a bit inconsistent.

It is inconsistent.

Does it really matter? His years are for USDM

Yes, because nothing indicates that this is a poll exclusively for the USDM MR2. Three pictures even show RHD MR2s. The poll information ought to reflect that this is for the car as a whole, not just the US market.

Accuracy is srs bsns.

Back