GTP Cool Wall: 1991-2000 Toyota Soarer

1991-2000 Toyota Soarer

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
United States
Elizabeth, New Jersey, USA

Would prefer a Cosmo or SVX over this, but it's still a very handsome and desirable car. You really can't go wrong with a bubble-era Japanese luxury coupe; they were elegant, curvy cars, technologically advanced, soft-riding yet also quite uppity and fast. They've also aged pretty well, too, still looking fairly modern to this day. This era in Japanese motoring history will forever be unmatched.

As for the car, Cool.

It's not the best looking car, and it's overshadowed by the MKIV Supra despite being the higher-end model (But to be fair, the Supra isn't the best looking car either). Stats look good enough, and it seems it comes with that 2JZ everyone's talkin' about. '90s JDM isn't really my favorite set of cars, and this one doesn't look interesting enough to get more than a meh from me.

overshadowed by the MKIV Supra despite being the higher-end model .
Not quite sure what you're getting at here. The Soarer was a personal luxury car while the Supra (assuming you're referring to the Twin Turbo) was a Skyline GT-R-rivaling high performance car. Of course the Supra is faster and more exciting, but they aren't even in the same realm, so it may not be accurate to compare the two as such.

Not quite sure what you're getting at here. The Soarer was a personal luxury car while the Supra (assuming you're referring to the Twin Turbo) was a Skyline GT-R-rivaling high performance car. Of course the Supra is faster and more exciting, but they aren't even in the same realm, so it may not be accurate to compare the two as such.
Eh, maybe so. Like I said I'm no expert in 90s JDM. I just saw in some discussion about how the A80 is God on wheels and the A90 is german scheiße that the Supra wasn't even Toyota's top of the line in the 90s, this car was. Either way, it's still a meh from me. Probably the higher side of meh though.

A little on the pudgy and plushy side back in the day, but solidly Cool today. 👍 Like @GranTurNismo, I don't think it's quite as cool as an SVX or Cosmo, for the intrigue factor. Not that JZ engines are uninteresting.

I've actually driven a Soarer (SC300) and an SVX, albeit briefly. This just felt like a 2-door Lexus, while the SVX is a personal luxury coupe with personality.

I've always found this gen Soarer/SC to be quite a good looking car, and you also have the benefit of Toyota reliability and the engine that JDM bros won't shut up about.

Cool.

I do also think a Cosmo is cooler.

Side note: Everyone is complaining that the Lexus RC didn't become the Supra (for whatever reason) - it should really be a revival of this nameplate rather than Supra. The weight and market base fits more in line with Soarer than it does Supra. My 2 cents anyway.

Cool car, particularly as the wafty-slushy-V8 4.0 GT Limited, better known to you or I as the Lexus SC400.

Cool in a way that a Lexus never could be. It's also not bad looking with good performance packages to boot.

Side note: Everyone is complaining that the Lexus RC didn't become the Supra (for whatever reason) - it should really be a revival of this nameplate rather than Supra. The weight and market base fits more in line with Soarer than it does Supra. My 2 cents anyway.
The RC is eight inches shorter than the Soarer and is billed as a direct competitor to the 4 Series/C-Class Coupe though, while the Soarer never really aimed against the Germans and it's only competition were it's Japanese rivals. As of right now, there really is no true successor to the Soarer/ Lexus SC, but it would be interesting if Toyota/Lexus re-entered this market again, with a graceful, elegant coupe like the original Soarer. Sadly, I don't think Lexus's corporate grille would work well for this.

The RC is eight inches shorter than the Soarer

And about 5 inches longer than the Z40 Soarer.

and is billed as a direct competitor to the 4 Series/C-Class Coupe though, while the Soarer never really aimed against the Germans and it's only competition were it's Japanese rivals.

Simply because in its heyday there weren't really any German competitors to the Soarer. Now there (potentially) is.

And about 5 inches longer than the Z40 Soarer.
Fair point. I didn't realize you were referring to the Soarer as a whole rather than just the generation being nominated (Z30).

Simply because in its heyday there weren't really any German competitors to the Soarer. Now there (potentially) is.
While there was certainly less variety, yes, the W140 CL-Class and 8-Series still existed. Other than the Bentleys and Rolls Royces, those were the premiere luxury coupes of the 1990s, and no Japanese marque dared to rival them. The A30 Soarer's closest competitor was a late-model W124 coupe, which the Soarer was a much more modern car.

While it isn't my favourite Toyota (or Lexus, for that matter), I think it's a nice and handsome car.
Cool

Nearly everyone I see is owned by someone who has put questionable modifications to it.

Because of that, Seriously Uncool.

While there was certainly less variety, yes, the W140 CL-Class and 8-Series still existed. Other than the Bentleys and Rolls Royces, those were the premiere luxury coupes of the 1990s, and no Japanese marque dared to rival them. The A30 Soarer's closest competitor was a late-model W124 coupe, which the Soarer was a much more modern car.

That's a pretty roundabout way of paraphrasing what I wrote.

Back