Torque: Unknown
Weight: 1780 kg
Transmission: 5-speed manual
Drivetrain: Front engine, four wheel drive
Body Styles: 2-door SUV​
Daihatsu-Fourtrak-1997-1600-02.jpg

3.jpg

5.jpg

One of those off road vehicles that doesn't come with the Chelsea tractor status. But is one of those who's natural home does seem to be on a farm. There isn't much else going for it but I absolutely loved the one we had when I was a kid.

Meh.

As a left field alternative to every other vaguely capable 4x4 available in the UK, I have always had a soft spot for these things.

Uncool.

Farmers wife's car.

Only if they couldn't get a hold of a Sportrak.

Last edited:
To be honest, I don't even know what the difference is between them.

One was halfway to becoming a mini-Land Cruiser with its beefed-up exterior and more obvious off-roading potential.

The other simply aped the Vitara. Smaller size. Smaller engines with no diesel option. Marginally less agricultural.

My dad had a 2.8 diesel Fourtrak for a while after he sold his Vauxhall Carlton. Only thing I liked about it was riding in the side facing back-most seats. After a couple of times where the tail stepped out on wet roundabouts, we sold it for the E39 528i.

Uncool.

We had it here as a Daihatsu Rocky.

One of the most industructable Daihatsu's ever made.

Was very big in the offroad scene here in the 90s, most now are either paddock bashers or dead in a junkyard now due to age.

The Feroza which was the smaller one was more of a Teenage girls beach cruiser.

Meh.

Daihatsus these days are remarkably Suzuki - like vehicles for a cheaper price. Unfortunately they also seem to come with a bit less reliability.

Uncool.

Default farmers car in the farming village I grew up in... they were great because when they crashed them into a ditch or field on the way back from the farmers pub at 1am, they could drive themselves out.

One particularly adventurous farmer had a white one..

Too bad it has no balls to make it somewhat offroad capable. I'd be better off buying an ATV.

Like the styling, but I wish it had a bit more power. It's a Daihatsu, so I'm not expecting anything fast.

Meh.

Too bad it has no balls to make it somewhat offroad capable. I'd be better off buying an ATV.

Plenty of farmers round here use them as daily drivers so they must do something right.

"Yea, I've got a Daihatsu with a turbo diesel I4!"

Try saying that to your friends.

How was that possible because it's not 25 years old yet.
im not sure how he did it. He was using it as a feed truck. he would put hay or other food in the back and just drive around the fields. im presuming it never goes on the road.

How was that possible because it's not 25 years old yet.
Because it is registered as a farm vehicle. Automobile emissions, safety and etc. laws don't apply, nor does the 25 year rule. So long as its registered as farm equipment, and it is being used at that capacity (ie. only used on roads between farms or whatever), a police officer isn't likely to care anymore than he would if a farmer was driving a tractor on the road.

Its torque, not power that matters, 245nm at 1.9k rpm is enough i would say. The heavy weight comes from the strong but heavy ladder frame chassis.

Probably did its job very well at a good price. Luckily I have never been in the position to find out.

Uncool.

Back