Wiegert

Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
1994-1998 Mazda Lantis nominated by @Wiegert

uB2JJKs.jpg

Body Style: 5-door hatchback
Engines: 1.5L Z5 I4, 1.6L B6 I4, 1.8L BP I4, 2.0L KF-DE V6, 2.0L KF-ZE V6
Power: 87 hp (1.5), 88 hp (1.6) 114-133 hp (1.8), 147-168 hp (2.0)
Torque: 98 lb-ft (1.5, 1.6), 115-118 lb-ft (1.8), 132 lb-ft (2.0)
Weight: 1085 - 1230 kg
Transmission: 5-speed manual, 4-speed automatic
Drivetrain: Front-engine, front wheel drive
Additional info: The Lantis went by a number of different names outside of Japan. In Australia and South Africa as the Mazda 323 Astina, in Colombia and other areas of Latin America as the Mazda Allegro Hatchback, in Chile as the Mazda Artis Hatchback and in Europe as the Mazda 323F.​
800px-Mazda_323f_rear_20071002.jpg

nrIAVHI.jpg

Mazda_323F_BA_Type_R.jpg

ESQAIQC.jpg

Last edited:
I went cool, possibly a little generous though, it's not that cool, but I've always found it slightly intriguing design wise.

Semi-reliable (or in the case of anything with the 4AT, woefully un-) rustbuckets that were sometimes, but not always, entertaining to drive.

Mild cool. I'm a sucker for something stylish.

I always thought these had about the best stance you could ever get out of a FWD car. Aggressive rake, broad shoulders, and the design doesn't even fall apart when you get to the rear like it did on so many contemporary cars that tried the same look

Really like these. Among the best-looking C-segment cars ever made, IMO. Would totally have a V6.

However, it's still just a C-segment car. V6 brings some redemption, but it's not really a car to captivate. Regular uncool.

Sub-Zero through bias.

My parents had one for years, a silver 2.0 V6 ZXi. Absolutely bulletproof, looked fantastic and drove like a much sportier car than it was. Green interior for no discernible reason.

Cool. I feel guilty though.

Poor car was bad in that night race in GT1 yet I loved it, and it's livery. Which fun fact as seen images before, the car does race so yeah.

Absolutely love them; lots of good engineering and sorted styling in what ultimately could've just been a dull, generic family hatch. It's genuinely on my bucket list of cars to own at some stage, specifically in that teal/green colour.

Still a bit too pedestrian though, and most of the ones you see are base models in questionable condition, so it can only muster a meh from me right now. Will almost certainly be a future classic I think, especially a Type R with an A-Spec kit.

One of the prettiest things ever in green. Also quite possibly the only car I'd ever go the extra mile to up the power on. Tastefully, of course.
Instant Sub-Zero.

Cool. Not as cool as the later SP20 hatch but a fun liftback with an interesting engine choice, that is cheap as chips to buy and run.

Good car. Smooth V6 engine. FF. 90's Mazda. Looks decent What's not to like?

Still comes out as uncool to me for some reason. Maybe it's the blandness.

Cool, would be SZ if it had a rotary. However, Mazda must have piston cars in their lineup because not all people fancy rotaries and they need cars with good fuel mileage.

One of the most likeable models from a likeable crop of Mazda family cars on the market during the early to mid '90s. The 323F has a surprisingly contemporary design even compared to the cars of today, albeit mixed with some noticeable dated features. And I'd readily go after a V6 example if I had the chance.

Uncool for exactly the same reason HFS brought up. It's a design that not many people appreciate and it nevertheless blends in the sea of '90s family goods. It does have the allure, but not quite enough to bump it over Meh for me. Still nice to see plenty of survivors around, though.

I never liked this car until I drove it in Gran Turismo.

Cool.

There's a trend of '90s fashions that are making a comeback eventhough they really shouldn't.

If cars did the same, this shouldn't make a comeback. Uncool.

5-door hatchback, 5-speed manual transmission option, AND a V6 engine option. Would've been a solid Cool, but gets a low Cool instead because, while I do agree that the Lantis has a contemporary design that would make you mistake that it's a car from the 2000's, I find the headlights really dated. It hasn't aged well unlike the rest of the car, if they were made bigger and more rounded, then maybe that would help.

Back at the time this car looked insane, design wise it was atleast 7 years ahead, it was also one of the first affordable cars with Projector headlights.

The V6 engine was actually made with Super Touring in mind, even though Mazda didn't exactly have the budget to compete properly in BTCC.

Back