GTP Cool Wall: 1995-1997 Mercedes-Benz C36 AMG (W202)

• Thread starter Wiegert
  • 25 comments

1995-1997 Mercedes-Benz C36 AMG (W202)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wiegert

Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
1995-1997 Mercedes-Benz C36 AMG (W202) nominated by @Murcie_LP640

1995-mercedes-c36-am_1280x0w.jpg

Body Style: 4-door sedan
Engine: M104.941 3.6L I6
Power: 276-287 hp
Torque: 284 lb-ft
Weight: 1560 kg
Transmission: 4-speed automatic, 5-speed automatic (1996-on)
Drivetrain: Front-engine, rear wheel drive
Additional Information: The first Mercedes-Benz vehicle to be modified by AMG after signing a formal contract of co-operation with Daimler-Benz in 1993, and was produced in answer to BMW's new E36 M3.

Starting life as a Mercedes-Benz C280, the car was transported to AMG's Affalterbach factory where it gained "racing-tuned" suspension (stiffer shocks and springs, sitting 25mm lower than the standard car), a subtle bodykit, the signature-for-the-90s AMG 5-spoke wheels, a beefier 4-speed automatic transmission from the S-Class (as well as bigger S-Class brakes) and, most crucially, the M104 2.8L straight-six was hand-modified by AMG. Now having forged pistons, a new inlet camshaft, high flow inlet manifold, enlarged exhaust ports, freer-flowing exhaust system, and a bore and stroke increase to make it a 3.6L straight six, the M104 now produced 276 horsepower (AMG later stated that because it's hand modified it could make up to 287hp) and could run 0-60 in 5.8secs and on to a 1/4 mile of 14.5secs.

While the M3 was undoubtedly the superior car for driver involvement (and pace, in European models), the C36 was certainly an accomplished sports saloon in its own right. In 1996 it gained a 5-speed automatic transmission before being replaced in 1997 with the C43 AMG, the first C-Class to house a V8 engine.
1997-mercedes-benz-c36-amg-2.jpg
1997-mercedes-benz-c36-amg-10.jpg

07c2054_02.jpg
DSC04131.jpg

Ah, the 1990s C-Class. Built to a budget. However... it's still cool. Just.

Cool

I saw one this afternoon on the way to pick up the wife. It didn't look particularly looked after and could be any other C-Class. Low cool for the engine.

Very cool. Much cooler than the E36, but it lacks a manual for the ultimate driver involvement. Still a pretty appealing Merc.

Last edited:
These drive really nice. Much more balanced than the C43. Subtle looks keep the attention away, as only a true car guy would recognize it. Cool.

I find these extremely interesting, especially today with it being a straight six (which sounds brilliant by the way) in a world of AMG V8s. Sleeper styling, cracker engine, decent handling, what's not to like? Cool.

The Older I get, the cooler this gets.:embarrassed: I would still prefer an E36 M3, even with the nerfed engine we recieved.

A cool engine and a cool little bit of historic interest, but only enough to make an uncool car Meh.

A high-power 90s saloon makes it uncool. AMG makes it cool.

Second-coolest 90s saloon, behind the Renault 19.

I'll admit JMoney was a factor.

As I understand it, this makes a very good and relatively inexpensive donor for people who want that engine but want it in a good Mercedes instead of the unfortunate transition model.

As I understand it, this makes a very good and relatively inexpensive donor for people who want that engine but want it in a good Mercedes instead of the unfortunate transition model.

I like your thinking. In a 190E with the standard bodywork and restomod running gear it would be a mean sleeper.

Back