Power: 197 HP
Torque: 147 lb-ft
Weight: 650 kg
Transmission:5-speed manual
Drivetrain: MR
49c16743b380306da1197653f2f2c746.jpg

Tommy%20Kaira%20ZZ-S_02.jpg

images

There are not very many good pictures of this car online.

I was leaning towards "meh" because of the looks but it sounds fun enough to drive to warrant a low cool out of me.

Thanks to Gran Turismo 3, I discovered this goodie.

i would guess that it's the same for most people. Shame it didn't do them any favors in shifting some. They only seemed to have found homes for a couple of hundred of them over their lifespan.

I don't think anyone outside of Japanese sports car enthusiasts or people who've played GT games will even know about the ZZ series, but they always embodied the concept of a "bubble economy" car to me, even more than things like the AZ-1. There's very few instances of a tuning company creating their own car entirely from scratch, rather than modifying an existing car to the point of it being something completely separate of its originator.

Cool, because it and its unrealized successor represent what could have been had the Japanese economy not fallen in on itself (granted that was unavoidable, but still).

Also, it's worth noting that a company called Green Lord Motors is currently producing limited numbers of this car as an electric convertible.

Last edited:
Ahhh, the Tommykai...

Wait, it's not the ZZII?

Meh, never liked this one, but it's not horrible.

I would look seriously uncool in one of these, but being a rare Elise alternative raises it to just uncool for me.

Raise your hand if you knew about the Tommy kaira ZZ-S BEFORE Gran Turismo 2. EXACTLY. I always thought this was a cool, quirky sports car. Not exactly a Kei-type car, but it was very cool. It's a pint-size beauty of a car. This car is, by no means, sublime. So tab me for a very strong "Cool."

meh, it gets a reputation from GT but honestly styling wise it looks like a typical kit car and with Nissan underpinnings it pretty much is.

It must have sucked to toil away working on this for probably years as the culmination of all of your expertise in the industry.

And then Lotus, during the brief period of the 90s of having an owner actually willing to spend money on development, debuts the Elise a year later.

Back