Z3BMW.jpg

Body Style: 2-door roadster
Engines: 1.8-1.9L I4, 2.0-3.2L I6
Power: 114-320 hp
Torque: 124-240 ft-lbs
Weight: 1160-1350 kg
Transmission: 4-speed automatic, 5-speed "manumatic", 5-speed manual
Drivetrain: Front-engine, rear wheel drive
Additional Information: BMW's first mass-produced mass market roadster, and first
new BMW to be manufactured in the United States. A facelifted version of the car was put into production in 2000, and in 2002, it was succeeded by the Z4. Note that the Z3 in this poll is specifically the roadster variant (E36/7). For the coupe version, see (E36/8)​

bmw-z3-black.jpg

bmw-z3-2013-wallpaper-4.jpg

44.jpg

BMW_M_Roadster-wallpaper_gallery.jpg

92d27d5ba7_640.jpg

Least cool BMW roadster of the past 20 years. Looked cheap, and in 1.9L form, like you'd rather burn money than buy the better Miata. Even Bond can't save it.

As uncool as the clown shoe was chilly.

Even Bond can't save it.

Not like they tried, it barely had any screen presence (probably more time Q showing it off over it being driven). The Z8 in TWINE at least was used for something (and looked cool while doing it) before being cut up.

Lower spec versions are somehow even more uncool than the Miata. Only the Z3M drags it up from SU to plain Uncool.

Not like they tried, it barely had any screen presence (probably more time Q showing it off over it being driven). The Z8 in TWINE at least was used for something (and looked cool while doing it) before being cut up.

I think that's because, much like the later Z8, the car wasn't exactly finished and they couldn't get clearance to really "do" anything with it other than have Wade drive it down that one road for 10 seconds.

Uncool

Ontop of this having a loose chassis, it also has the E30's rear semi trailing arms for rear suspension. Gross! It was fine on the e30/e34, but not now when the current 3/5 series had multi-link rear.

Last edited:
A Bond car that was so utterly uninspiring that they instead used a tank for the car chase scene.

This, instead, is all the action the Z3 got in the film:

Seriously Uncool.

-

Oh, wait... that tank chase scene was absolutely awesome.

Thank you, Z3.

But you're still uncool.

Last edited:
The yellow 2CV in 'For Your Eyes Only' was a cooler Bond-car then a Z3 could ever be.

The Z3 M is as cool as the regular variants are uncool. But I do like a lightweight two-seater sports car generally, just about scrapes a cool.

The Coupé is cool

bmw-z3-m-03.jpg

Dat ass :drool:

Always looked a bit like a shoe, but still a timeless design and

quite fast and nimble

I sometimes feel I ought to like these, but find them inexplicably pedestrian somehow. The coupe (not being polled here admittedly) seems pointless to me unless you really want a car that resembles a shoe. I much prefer the Z4, but the Z3M just pulls this up to Uncool from SU, due to it being a bit of a sleeper.

Sub-Zero. Small and simple construction, compact body that retains all the best elements from older BMW models. More charismatic than Z4 as well. Coupe version was much uglier, designers produced quite big disproportion of major body elements in my opinion.

Sub-Zero. Small and simple construction, compact body that retains all the best elements from older BMW models. More charismatic than Z4 as well. Coupe version was much uglier, designers produced quite big disproportion of major body elements in my opinion.

The Z3 had the front suspension from the older 3-series mated to a rear suspension from a Reagan era Bimmer. They could be made to handle well, but there's the rub... you had to make them handle well. Otherwise, they were basically just very, very cramped GTs that occassionally had nice engines but were mostly sold with a weedy little four cylinder.

They were pretty... striking... I would not say pretty... but while I like striking, the way the grille fit on the front end has never sat right with me.

Not a huge fan.

-

Now if we're talking the M Roadster, or even better, the M Coupe, which is simply bonkers, I'm in. But a regular Z3, no. No thanks.

Underrated. By a lot.

Miata is way overrated nowadays so, as big fan fo Z3's and Z4's, this is a high cool.

It is impossible to over-rate the Miata.

For every breathless Jinba-Ittai fanatic, there are a million hairdresser jokes.

And thus, the Universe balances itself.

Last edited:
The Z3 had the front suspension from the older 3-series mated to a rear suspension from a Reagan era Bimmer. They could be made to handle well, but there's the rub... you had to make them handle well. Otherwise, they were basically just very, very cramped GTs that occassionally had nice engines but were mostly sold with a weedy little four cylinder.
That is not a good thing to hear, but I would still enjoy dealing with its issues rather than buy any of the new BMW roadsters. Just like on most older Alfa Romeos, good visuals here can partially compensate for the trouble the car would overload you with. :)

But yes, the M Roadster would be even better option.

For every breathless Jinba-Ittai fanatic, there are a million hairdresser jokes.
Another reason - Miata is overly predictable nowadays. I would try my chances with Fiat Barchetta. Cheaper price, cheaper parts and distinctive visuals.

Just sayin'. :D

Another reason - Miata is overly predictable nowadays. I would try my chances with Fiat Barchetta. Cheaper price, cheaper parts and distinctive visuals.

Just sayin'. :D

The Miata/MX-5 is the predictable choice. But for a reason. Underpowered as it may be, it still drives like a RWD sports car. The Fiat Barchetta probably drives like a Fiat Punto convertible, which it practically is.

It's called, having an opinion, mate. For roadsters, I heard of the miata a ton of times. Don't get me wrong, the miata is one of the most cooler ones but, you have to respect the BMW a bit too.

Even though I know of it more in NFS IV: High Stakes more than in the Goldeneye movie. Been ages too since it passed on TV lately for me either.

And yes, I prefered this over the SLK too. But the SLK roadster is also a cool in my book, I think the later years of it weren't all that great I think.

Underpowered as it may be, it still drives like a RWD sports car. The Fiat Barchetta probably drives like a Fiat Punto convertible, which it practically is.
But how convenient that on a daily basis is? If you regularly visit track days, good, but in regular joy driving conditions this won't be of big importance.

But how convenient that on a daily basis is? If you regularly visit track days, good, but in regular joy driving conditions this won't be of big importance.

I've never driven the Fiat and it's probably been a decade since I last drove an MX-5. So I can't say with any authority that the Mazda's a much better drive than the Fiat. I can say that with the limited time I spent driving the MX-5, mostly within an urban location and in a largely social manner, I still found it more fun than any FWD car I'd spent time in. The Mazda isn't at it's best on a circuit. It's modest grip and power is best exploited in everyday settings. I might be doing the Barchetta a great injustice, but I doubt it does much more than give the driver a warm-hatch experience in a sports car environment.

Back