• Poll closed .
United States
Orange County, NY
GTP_GT916
Nii916
1995-2002 MG F nominated by @Wiegert
j00W8mA.jpg

Engines:
1.6L I4 (Rover K-series), 1.8L I4 (Rover K-series), 1.8L VVC I4 (K-series)
Power: 1.6: 110 hp; 1.8: 118 hp; 1.8 VVC: 143 hp; 1.8 VVC Trophy 160: 158 hp
Torque: 1.6: 102 lb-ft.; 1.8: 122 lb-ft.; 1.8 VVC (Trophy 160): 128 lb-ft.
Weight: 1040-1100 kg
Transmission: 5-speed manual, CVT
Drivetrain: Mid engine, rear wheel drive
Body Styles: 2-door convertible
Additional Info: "The first entirely new car to bear the MG marque since the MGB, this replacement for the limited edition RV8 made use of hydragas suspension and - unlike any MG built previously - a mid-engined, RWD layout. The MG F quickly became one of the more popular affordable sports car in the UK before it was replaced by the TF in 2002."​
LzhceO4.jpg

T7Gf8tz.jpg

NKY9RVi.jpg

oRgeqFq.jpg

1995. And much like John Major's internal party initiative, it's Back To Basics for MG after being nothing more than a sports badge for Montegoes, Metros and Maestros. A cute roadster with more flair and elan than the ever so slightly 'white good' MX-5. If only it didn't have the trough of all Rover engines: the K-series.

Find a working one and I bet it'll put a smile on your face.

Cool

If you wanted a cheap sports car here 20 years ago, you'd either plump the more durable and engaging MX-5, or the comfortable and attractive F. Although one always had a greater reputation than the other.

As a sports car that lifted MG marque out of the mire of rebadged Austins and BL backwash? With the niggling design flaws surrounding the K engines, I'm still willing to give it a low cool.

It's a cute, nifty little thing, but I imagine you'd always get asked "why didn't you just buy a Miata?"

Character, I'd say.

Aside from build quality being sub-standard compared to most Japanese and German rivals, it wasn't a heck of a lot worse to drive than any of its overseas competitors from what I've heard.

Doesn't look offensive, probably decent to drive, mid engined RWD layout. Recipe for a solid cool until you find out it has Rover engines and was built by Rover in the '90s. Drags it to meh.

Was always a decent enough looking little roadster, and they were popular back in the day. But. The Elise was better, if a little rawer, and only a touch more expensive as a mid engined roadster. The MR2 was a similar concept with Toyota reliability and the MX-5 was, well the MX-5 and just good all round. It had some really strong competition back in its day. A high Meh.

The Elise is a few steps above all of those mentioned. I'd say the Elan was a more apt segment rival.

The Elise is a few steps above all of those mentioned. I'd say the Elan was a more apt segment rival.

The Elan had been discontinued by the time the MGF came out, just, and was at a similar price point to the Elise when that came out in '96.

Amazingly, these were sold here! I always thought it was a cool concept, and they always caught my eye on the street.

It's been a real, reeeeeal while since I've seen one of these.

It's been a real, reeeeeal while since I've seen one of these.

Unsurprisingly, they were quite common here at the time and there are still plenty around today. In fact there's one at the office car park next door. Don't know if it's been stanced or whether the trick hydragas suspension's knackered :dopey:

Unsurprisingly, they were quite common here at the time and there are still plenty around today. In fact there's one at the office car park next door. Don't know if it's been stanced or whether the trick hydragas suspension's knackered :dopey:

Maybe it got knackered and that is why they stanced it 👍

Solid cool from me, always thought these and the TF were pretty cars and had assumed they were pretty solid too, as I still see tons of them around. A nice and very viable alternative to the Miata. As for comparisons to the Elise, surely the Lotus is more of an optional targa than a roadster? Not splitting hairs, I just think it would make a difference to buyers and they aren't directly comparable, The series 3 MR2 is a better comparison, also a decent little car.

Last edited:
Seriously Uncool. Mainly because my wife's friend had one and would not shut up about her "new convertible sports car!". They are not worth showing off about.

Back