Engines:
2.0L I4 (Nissan SR20DE)
Power: 320 hp
Torque: 195 lb-ft.
Weight: 975 kg
Transmission: 6-speed sequential
Drivetrain: Front engine, front wheel drive
Racing Class: British Touring Car Championship
Additional Info: "Nissan first entered the original Primera in the BTCC in 1991 but withdrew in 1994. In 1996 Nissan backed Andy Rouse Engineering with no success. In order to have any chance of beating the dominating Renault Laguna, Nissan contracted Ray Mallock Limited to build new Primera touring cars from the ground up. After building the Primera GT for the 1997 season, Nissan supplied the SR20DE Straight 4 engine, now producing 320HP, and hired David Leslie and Anthony Reid as the drivers. The Primera finishied 5th on the Manufacturer and Team championships in 1997. In 1998 an improved Primera won 9 out of 26 races and won the Manufacturer's title. Anthony Reid fell short of the Driver's title, despite winning 7 races, losing to the more consistent Rickard Rydell in the Volvo S40. In 1999 Reid left Nissan to drive for Ford so Nissan hired Laurent Aiello, who had just won the 24 Hours of LeMans in 1998 for Porsche. In 1999 Nissan won 13 out of 26 races and Aiello took the Driver's championship with 10 victories and Nissan again got the manufacturers title. Nissan also provided equipment and support to Team Dynamics and Matt Neal, who won the independent cup and was the first to win a BTCC outright, earning him a £250,000 bonus."​
vendo-o-cambio-superturismo-nissan-primera-ex-btcc-1999.jpg

Nissan-Primera-GT-BTCC.jpg

1999-Nissan-Primera-BTCC.jpg

btcc1.jpg

btcc2.jpg

vintage-hscc-super-touring-trophy-2013-ex-laurent-aiello-btcc-championship-winning-1999-su.jpg

Last edited:
Anthony Reid should have won the 1999 British Touring Car Championship. The car was literally tailor made for him before Ford threw an absurd amount of money at him at the end of 1998. What a waste. I have no problems with the bloke but it's never sat well with me that Laurent Aiello is a BTC champion.

Lovely car. One of the best of its type. TOCA memories. Excellent livery. David Leslie. It's got the lot. But no prizes for guessing its place here.

Seriously Uncool

SUBRC

However, this is a car that comes from when BTCC was at its peak and one of the fast example of great touring cars. If I wasn't so keen on what the cool wall means to cars I'd have to say this is near SZ. Just based on what it did for the series it took part in and wasn't that bad looking. Almost reminds me the ATCC cars before becoming Aussie V8 Supers.

One of the ugliest cars to Grace the series, and some of the worst liveries. If Nissan entered a bright pink Juke into the series I'd prefer it to these old Primeras.

Cool series, good times, horrible car.

SUBRC

One of the ugliest cars to Grace the series, and some of the worst liveries. If Nissan entered a bright pink Juke into the series I'd prefer it to these old Primeras.

Cool series, good times, horrible car.

I think you'd be the minority of a huge majority there, not that there's anything wrong with that.

From arguably the greatest era in BTCC though there were better cars there like the Mondeos.

Meh.

Always loved the Primera gt btcc and brings some good GT and ToCA memories..

...But This is not the love wall...SUBRC.

So usually when it comes to road cars, if I vote "meh" it's a car that I see just about every day and have no positive or negative view of it.

This being a race car, obviously the average person doesn't see a race car every day. That being said, so far as race cars go, a lot of touring cars of this nature go into the "meh" category for me because to me, they're everyday cars in racing garb. Kinda like taking a random group of people off the street, running them through 3 weeks of training, and putting them in tracksuits so they can run with each other. Granted, I'm not very immersed in the touring car scene either though.

Meh, it is.

Latest Posts

Back