GTP Cool Wall: 1998-2002 Mercury Grand Marquis

1998-2002 Mercury Grand Marquis

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Not sure why this is considered it's own generation when the next generation (2003-2011) is merely a minor facelift. But anyway, this car is truly the end of an era; a body-on-frame, RWD, V8-powered, non-luxury American car that's bigger than full-size and a decade behind in technology. I posted this image in the 2003-2011 poll, but it still applies here:

Above image says it all. These are either driven by the oldest of old people, or as sketchy inner-city taxis. Uncool.

It's cool because of the Lincoln LSC wheels. Wish they were available for the Mustang(sadly it only had 4 lugs) back in the early 90s.

Geezermobile.

Uncool. That first ad photo in the "additional pictures" section says it all.

I wonder if you guys are voting based on the enthusiast perspective or the actual, real-world cool-ometer that is the general public - who don't give a **** about cars!

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if you guys are voting based on the enthusiast perspective or the actual, real-world cool-ometer that is the general public - who don't give a **** about cars!

I'm voting based off my personal opinion, as I always do.

That's no one's business but the person who voted's.

I generally love large American cars, but I've never really been enamored with the Panther family. Maybe it's the fact that these for whatever reason get all of the attention while the MN12/FN10 ('89-'97 Thunderbird/Cougar and '91-'98 Mark VIII) cars are completely ignored, two platforms that I find far more interesting. And for that, it's uncool.

Some people voted this gape-snouted wallowing land-barge sub-zero? I'm astonished. Seriously uncool.
Most likely an accident or people voting SZ as a joke. If they are legitimate votes than of course I'm curious also curious as to why they voted that way, but I think I've learnt my lesson about questioning peoples' unpopular votes in Cool Wall threads by now.

I voted Subzero, and I'm stickin to it. Attack me, laugh at me, do whatever you folks want. They're subtle, reliable, and the last of it's kind. They're not going anywhere. They'll be around for another 15-20 years. EASY.

While the children will be on their 3rd or 4th Jetta, ole' Gramps will still have one of these, probably cranked up to the 300,000 mile range. Take care of them, they'll run forever.

I love these large boats. I love the way they look, they're intimidating due to their size and stance, and like I said, they're RELIABLE. Perform routine maintenance, and they'll never fail you. Plus, parts are EVERYWHERE, should you need them. And that's why I voted Subzero. Although I'm more particular to the Vics, long live the Grand Marquis.

^ Exactly that. I understand liking a car that's not usually liked, but "subtle, reliable, and the last of it's kind" doesn't necessarily mean cool, let alone SZ. The Cool Wall is supposed to measure how cool a certain car is, not how much people like a certain car. For example, I like the Cadillac XLR, but that doesn't stop me from voting Seriously Uncool, because it simply isn't a cool car.

I know I'm going to get quoted by someone for critiquing someone else's unpopular vote, but do I care at all? Absolutely not.

Yup. I love these cars far more than any reasonable person my age should, but I don't think they're that cool. Cool to me I guess, but not really in a general sense. But coolness is so arbitrary. Many comments I've read in threads about what makes a certain car uncool are often the same reasons why I think it is cool. I won't act like I've never voted based on what I think, though. I voted the Tesla Model 3 seriously uncool because it's really uncool to me, but if you're going by the general public opinion that I think many of us vote based on, it would definitely be cool. So I guess it boils down to whether you vote based on your own perception of coolness, or what you think the public thinks. It's been a while since I've watched Top Gear, but I always thought they rated cars on more of a public opinion basis.

Personally I love the Panther body cars. I don’t care that they’re slow, heavy land yachts for me they are some of the coolest regular cars out there.

They have such an iconic design IMO, make an awesome sound and as has been said above are super reliable.

Ive only seen 1 Panther body in real life, a black Mercury Grand Marquis, and I had the biggest smile on my face when I saw it. I’ve seen Aston’s, Porsche 911’s and Lamborghini’s on the roads since but not one Supercar (or anything that would be considered “cool” looking at this cool walls results) has gotten my attention more than that 1 Grand Marquis and I’d honestly daily any Panther car over any so called dream car.

You can try and say my opinion is wrong and that “this isn’t a like/good wall” but I really don’t care. I love these cars, I think they’re the coolest thing out there, DEFINITELY the coolest car that’s actually affordable, and nothing anyone else says can change my mind on that

So...this is a Cool Wall where YOUR opinion does not matter regarding Cool, rather you must tailor your vote to the masses? Impeccable logic.
If that's the case, whats the point in having people voice their opinions? I know I simply just vote for how cool I think a car is, and people chiming in their opinion makes the cool wall interesting.

Back