fl0117-269409_1@2x.jpg

Body Style: 2dr coupe
Engine: 5.4L V8
Power: 385 hp
Torque: 385 lb-ft
Weight: 1631 kg
Transmission: 6-speed T-56 manual
Drivetrain: Front Engine, RWD
Additional Information: Only 300 produced, all finished in Performance Red - Designed as race-ready but street legal, missing out on many weight-adding creature comforts.
1024px-Ford_Mustang_SVT_Cobra.jpg

ford-mustang-svt-cobra-r-auction-21.jpg

131115163244-2000-ford-mustang-cobra-r-1024x576.jpg

3c2a60ccd1b926beb5c1751b1312cb50.jpg

It's a low cool and I assume because they're so expensive that they aren't crowd seeking missiles, so that's a plus. That rear spoiler looks goofy though, but I get why it's there. Also, the front aero work that's just riveted on seems kind of cheap. Still, it has a side exhaust and that's cool.

I give it a cool. Not super well known, but still a Cobra born just before the Terminator gen. so it kind of looks like a Termi. on steroids. No idea if the modifications actually made a tremendous impact on its track prowess, but a Motor Trend article says its quicker than a Corvette of the time in 0-60 & 1/4 mile. These are surprisingly affordable for a Collector Car, and they're much better off being enjoyed than stashed away. They seem to average $40-$50,000 which isn't a bad return investment on what was a $55,000 car. The mint condition ones that boast their original window stickers don't seem to grab above $80,000 b/c the interest just isn't there. Almost surprising given they rarely come for sale anyway, so their owners are either banking on bigger paydays down the line or really enjoy them.

Truth be told I never cared much for this generation of Mustang... thanks to my being in high school when they came out and the student parking lot being full of the V6 base models (and always in violet or that teal-ish color, because late '90s), they're permanently classified as "cheerleader cars" in my brain. Plus the overly rounded body shape just makes it look fat and unwieldy, much like the Camaro and Trans-Am of the time did.

That said, the Cobra R has a proper V8, shaved a fair amount of weight and ditched the solid rear axle of the showroom car for independent rear suspension which kept the rear end from flying all over when exiting a corner. You won't see Becky driving that one to the mall, so I guess it rates a low Cool.

Absolutely love this thing. The SN95 New Edge Mustangs are my favorites, and to me, this is the king of the hill in that generation. This was definitely the one that was featured in most of the video games I had growing up as a wee lad, from Gran Turismo, Test Drive, and Need For Speed to name a few. Loved this car and this generation of Mustang so much, that it gave me the motivation to get one. Proud owner of a black 2000 Mustang GT, and I'd love to make it into a Cobra R but with the added creature comforts that were deleted on the actual Cobra... aaaanddd probably push the boundaries of the 4.6L V8 to try and make similar power to the 5.7L that the R came with.

Sub-Zero.

I like this car, but I unapologetically vote SU. Not only is the New Edge Mustang often regarded as the worst and most redneck Mustang today (bad enough that Ford even left it out of the Mustang 50th anniversary video), the body kit and large wing only makes it less cool.

One of my favorite mustangs, but it's too flashy to be cool; from the perspective of an outsider (one of my relaives who saw this in person) he said: "it looks like someone tacked a bodykit on a coupé."
Yeah, uncool

I am one of few Camaro lovers who also like Mustangs. This is surely a super Mustang. I think I even had this car in games like "Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec" and "SEGA GT." However, I don't think this is awesomeness on wheels. So tab me for "Cool" on this one.

For me, taking a base model without any ammenities and turning into a road going race car is the coolest way of going about making a car. SZ

High powered Mustang instant SZ. But if it was one from the 60’s or one that came out in the last ten years yes. But it’s from 2000 which was just a bad styling(imho). Which downgrades it from SZ to just plain cool.

Woops. It's been ages since I've been here and I missed this one :(

Anyway, would have been a SZ for me.

Back