Torque: 355 lb-ft
Transmission: 4-speed automatic
Weight: 2585 kg
Drivetrain: FR
1628018422237.png

1628018436102.png

1628018453227.png

1628018476077.png

In my excitement for the Doug video about it, I was surprised to find this had never been polled.

Anyway, it's a pretty stupid car but the weirdness and novelty saves it from being seriously uncool. So I just voted regular uncool.

Stylish, elegant... but so not cool. I think the Lincoln Blackwood was forgotten for a reason. It has no character or redeeming values to make it remotely cool. Heck, even the Lincoln Navigator in its time was more inviting than the Blackwood. So while I think this is a great looking truck, I have to go Seriously Uncool on this one.

Funny thing about this is, Ford was really trying to create an entirely new market segment for it. When the Detroit Free Press wrote a rather unflattering review of it saying it seemed like a pointless trim upgrade for the F-150, a marketing person from Ford wrote a very heated reply insisting that it is NOT a pickup truck and how DARE you claim it is. I forget the exact term he used to describe it, but it was a bowl of buzzword soup that was trying to be a classier version of sport utility vehicle. I think once they noticed that this sparked the trend of putting Navigator front clips on F-150s, Ford realized that people really did just want upscaled pickup trucks and started aiming in that direction.

I have to admit though, the motorized tailgate and bed cover were pretty neat.

That said, Uncool. Sorry Ford marketing person, but it's a dressed-up pickup and everyone knew it.

Last edited:
Honestly it looks like the perfect love story between models. City girl Lincoln Town car and Country boi Ford F-150 made a baby that turned out ugly as hell with an identity crisis.
Seriously uncool

A better-looking F-150, but that doesn't make this car useful, since it's not supposed to go off road or to transport heavy things. So... the other thing to do with this pick up is to use it like a big luxury car. It even hadn't 4 wheel drive.
In conclusion, you can use it like an Aznom Palladium but with a rear bed. Uncool.

Last edited:
That interior is pretty much just a Lariat F-150.

Too many kids in here not understanding the point of the cool wall.

The Blackwood is definitely a cool car. It's a pioneer, it invented the genre of the luxury pickup truck. That might be something completely alien outside the US and Canada but here it's a huge market segment and honestly a really attractive one as well. The moment you step into a pickup truck that can haul hundreds of pounds of gear while towing your boat while carrying several friends while wafting down the freeway in total comfort is the moment you really begin to grasp the genius of the American pickup truck and groan at the pointlessness of a traditional luxury sedan. And it's all because of the Blackwood. Mind you, the Blackwood couldn't really do any of that because Lincoln leaned too heavily toward luxury, but this is where the idea was born. And it's genius. The Blackwood is hyper rare, rarer than most supercars by a mile, and anybody who bothers to own one isn't doing it because it's a good car, or to be seen, but because of its interesting story, stealthiness, and weirdness.

Cool car. I've only seen a couple in my entire life and I get excited every time I do.

Last edited:
The Lincoln Blackwood is literally the embodiment of "great concept, bad execution". In the early 2000s, luxury SUVs like the Escalade and Lincoln's own Navigator were selling rapidly, and upmarket trims of pickups like the F150 King Ranch and Sierra Denali were doing quite well too. So, it could be seen as the logical conclusion to create a full-fledged luxury truck. Though, it almost seemed like the Blackwood was doing everything it could to turn away prospective buyers. It was only available in one color (black), one trim, one configuration (crew cab short bed), one engine option, lacked 4WD, had below-average towing capabilities, had an aluminum-lined bed that was carpeted and with barn-doors (basically negates any utilitarian-ness of buying a pickup), and on top of that, an absurdly high sticker price of $58,800, which is about $85,000 in today's dollars. Aside from the Blackwood's impracticality and high price, the biggest turn-off towards customers was the lack of choice in terms of options; if you wanted to buy a Blackwood, it came in one way and if you wanted to make changes, too bad. The Cadillac Escalade EX-T, which hit the market slightly after the Blackwood and considered it's main rival, was by no means a great vehicle, but seemed to learn from the Blackwood's mistakes: it had multiple engine, trim, drivetrain, and color options, as well as a sticker price almost $10k less. Thus, nearly five times the amount of Escalade EXTs were sold in 2002 as Blackwoods.

Seriously Uncool.

EDIT: that must be the most unusual place to put a touch screen navigation system. Adds to the truck's charm though.

Last edited:
Too many kids in here not understanding the point of the cool wall.

The Blackwood is definitely a cool car. It's a pioneer, it invented the genre of the luxury pickup truck. That might be something completely alien outside the US and Canada but here it's a huge market segment and honestly a really attractive one as well. The moment you step into a pickup truck that can haul hundreds of pounds of gear while towing your boat while carrying several friends while wafting down the freeway in total comfort is the moment you really begin to grasp the genius of the American pickup truck and groan at the pointlessness of a tradition luxury sedan. And it's all because of the Blackwood. Mind you, the Blackwood couldn't really do any of that because even Lincoln couldn't really grasp the concept of combing all these factors but this is where the idea was borne. And it's genius. The Blackwood is hyper rare, rarer than most supercars by a mile, and anybody who bothers to own one isn't doing it because it's a good car, or to be seen, but because of its interesting story, stealthiness, and weirdness.

Cool car. I've only seen a couple in my entire life and I get excited every time I do.

The Lincoln Blackwood is literally the embodiment of "great concept, bad execution". In the early 2000s, luxury SUVs like the Escalade and Lincoln's own Navigator were selling rapidly, and upmarket trims of pickups like the F150 King Ranch and Sierra Denali were doing quite well too. So, it could be seen as the logical conclusion to create a full-fledged luxury truck. Though, it almost seemed like the Blackwood was doing everything it could to turn away prospective buyers. It was only available in one color (black), one trim, one configuration (crew cab short bed), one engine option, lacked 4WD, had below-average towing capabilities, had an aluminum-lined bed that was carpeted and with barn-doors (basically negates any utilitarian-ness of buying a pickup), and on top of that, an absurdly high sticker price of $58,800, which is about $85,000 in today's dollars. Aside from the Blackwood's impracticality and high price, the biggest turn-off towards customers was the lack of choice in terms of options; if you wanted to buy a Blackwood, it came in one way and if you wanted to make changes, too bad. The Cadillac Escalade EX-T, which hit the market slightly after the Blackwood and considered it's main rival, was by no means a great vehicle, but seemed to learn from the Blackwood's mistakes: it had multiple engine, trim, drivetrain, and color options, as well as a sticker price almost $10k less. Thus, nearly five times the amount of Escalade EXTs were sold in 2002 as Blackwoods.

Seriously Uncool.

EDIT: that must be the most unusual place to put a touch screen navigation system. Adds to the truck's charm though.
I kinda see the point of the truck now, since today they can be also very luxorious and expensive.
Learning about the Blackwood and its context kinda feels like that the car itself is the start of something the market was not prepared for, so I appreciate Lincoln even more for trying I must say :P

Last edited:
Back