GTP Cool Wall: 2002-2009 Nissan 350Z / Fairlady Z (Z33)

• Thread starter Wiegert
  • 17 comments

2002-2009 Nissan 350Z / Fairlady Z (Z33)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wiegert

Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
2002-2009 Nissan 350Z / Fairlady Z (Z33) nominated by @Turbo

nmgb_138_03.jpg

Body Style: 2-door coupé, 2-door convertible
Engine: 3.5L V6
Power: 283-306 hp
Torque: 260-274 lb-ft
Weight: 1446-1634 kg
Transmission: 5-speed automatic, 6-speed manual
Drivetrain: front-engine, rear-wheel drive​

251024.jpg
nissan-350z-001.jpg
39371-a-nis.jpg
Nissan_350Z_Roadster_rear.JPG
7237.jpg

35th Anniversary Edition not included.

Something about early 2000s Japanese sports cars (at least the ones sold in North America) never really seemed to be cool or uncool to me. They feel like they're lost somewhere in between. They don't stand out to the average person and to the enthusiast, it's stuck between the tuner and the mid-life crisis sort. Never found them that impressive and the V6 is not a great sound. (Doesn't help that the guys at the local drift events straight pipe their Z33s)

It's like the RX-8 for some, it feels forgettable in a way. When someone brings up the Z33 to me, all I can think of is these three iterations.
37327956422_28d9d129b2_b.jpg

impp-1203-05-o%2Bformula-drift-championship%2Bfalken-350z

picture_php_pictureid_22504_989faa9ca057550fb84b8f940b92447eb28c8132.jpg

A "Meh" for me, but almost on the brink of uncool. They're cheap enough now that they're being purchased by their 3rd or 4th owners and being thrashed.

Probably the least flashy and most refined of the Nissan Z cars, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Plus, these have aged remarkably well.

It's not a car i've ever really desired in any way, but an unsophisticated, fairly big engined, rear drive coupe at an affordable price is something we didn't have in Europe at the time. So i'll give it a low cool for that.

Something about early 2000s Japanese sports cars (at least the ones sold in North America) never really seemed to be cool or uncool to me. They feel like they're lost somewhere in between. They don't stand out to the average person and to the enthusiast, it's stuck between the tuner and the mid-life crisis sort. Never found them that impressive and the V6 is not a great sound. (Doesn't help that the guys at the local drift events straight pipe their Z33s)

It's like the RX-8 for some, it feels forgettable in a way. When someone brings up the Z33 to me, all I can think of is these three iterations.
37327956422_28d9d129b2_b.jpg

impp-1203-05-o%2Bformula-drift-championship%2Bfalken-350z

picture_php_pictureid_22504_989faa9ca057550fb84b8f940b92447eb28c8132.jpg

A "Meh" for me, but almost on the brink of uncool. They're cheap enough now that they're being purchased by their 3rd or 4th owners and being thrashed.

Spot on dude. Exactly how I feel, the 2000's in my opinion had the worst car designs interior and exterior wise for Japanese cars. Only one I liked was the Mitsubishi evolution.

The 300zx looked so much better.

I owned one and in orange it looked fantastic... but past that, don't expect a Japanese car, it's a big heavy thing with no feeling through the steering, and while it can keep pace with things like the Z4 of its age, it has very heavy controls with no finesse. interior is cheap and very easily damaged. Its strengths are the engine (particularly the noise) and the styling, and in the GT model the Bose sound system is really good. To be honest it got a bit boring in everyday driving. Very reliable and fast daily though, cheap to buy but not cheap to run

Cool. When it debuted, the door handles and its butt sticking out, threw me off. It's grown on me. I'd have one.

I have loved the 350Z from a very young age. From the car in Need For Speed Underground 2 to Fast and Furious and Midnight Club 3. In fact, the car I had in Midnight Club 3 lasted me a very long time, winning a lot of races and beating it to death. The red and the white Nissan paint that I had was very similar to the JGTC car in Gran Turismo 4, and I don't think I'll ever forget it. Truth be told, it was the first car I genuinely loved. Full stop. Cool.

Probably the least flashy and most refined of the Nissan Z cars, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Plus, these have aged remarkably well.

I couldn't disagree with you more. These looked dated even before they were released.

Ugly when they were new, and haven't aged well at all, IMO. Plus the door handles look like the came off my microwave.

SU.

Somewhat desirable when new and still is now with plenty of affordable runners about. A generous amount of car and engine for the money. But tired styling and an image that sits between 'Fast Car cover car' (coupe) and 'sales rep's weekend cruiser' (cabrio) still lets it down in terms of coolness.

Uncool.

SVX
I couldn't disagree with you more. These looked dated even before they were released.

While the 370Z is holding up fairly well even if it's a degree or two uglier. Also more refined than the 350Z, but neither Z is notable for being at the forefront of sophistication.

The 350Z has aged rather well I think. Sure it's not the most modern of looking cars now, least not compared to the 370Z, but it's turned to be a rather classy and elegant design. Mind it's not the prettiest "Z-Car", that honour goes to the Z32 300ZX.

Otherwise, it's a stylish RWD, quick, silky sounding sports car.

Cool.

[ ] French
[ ] Practical
[ ] Fuel Efficient
[x] Japanese
[ ] From the 1960s
[ ] Enough space in the back
[x] Been in video games

Uncool.

Back