Power: 95hp
Torque: 97ft-lb
Weight: 1056kg
Transmission: 5-speed manual, 4-speed automatic
Drivetrain: Front-engine, front-wheel-drive
Additional Information: "Hey mum, can we have a Subaru WRX STi?"
"No, we have a Subaru WRX STi at home!"
*Subaru WRX STi at home* -
In all seriousness though, this was a rather infamous dealer-fit package for the Australian-market DC Kia Rio, which was entirely standard mechanically apart from lowered springs but, crucially, featured a bonnet scoop, gold wheels and rear wing all inspired by the Subaru WRX STi.
Kia-Rio-Sport-Pac-sedan-2003-6.jpg

Kia-Rio-Sport-Pac-sedan-2003--5.jpg

These were the kinds of things that I always read about going through the, er, lower sections of the Cool Wall back before it was revived. Lately there have been lots of weird cars on the wall, but mostly "cool weird" ones rather than "bad weird" ones. Anyway, my point here is that this is a laughable car and an easy SU. I'm glad it's here though, or I never would have known it existed.

Personally, if I ever saw one of these, I'd stare at it in awe. I realize it's a pretty rare car. But anybody else will just think it's a riced Kia and they're not wrong. Uncool.

Uncool.

Not seriously so because in the year this came out, 10-year-old me would have liked something like this as a first car, having played hours and hours of Street Racing games. :dopey:

The Kia Rio is probably the worst car I've ever driven. Making it looks like a WRX just makes it worse.

I realize it's a pretty rare car.
Rarity isn't meaningful in and of itself. A car that was produced in low volume because the interest in it was gauged to be low and that expectation was affirmed by poor sales isn't a good kind of rare. Obscure optioning of vehicles that results in few examples sporting a particular combination, or even a single undesirable option, isn't a good kind of rare. I think too many people associate rarity with exclusivity just because they can be associated with one another.

I can nearly squint at the picture in the opening post and imagine Subaru Impreza. Thankfully, not the Hawkeye Impreza which 80% of the world loves. So this Kia Rio Sports-Pac can be seen like a Korean Subaru Impreza. This car is too "boy racer-ish" in design to be considered plain (or "Meh"). I'll go with a low Cool on this. Oh, and I love blue and gold as a color combination. So that's a little extra credit.

Kia's come a long, long way.

It doesn't help that an already cheap and nasty car has been turned into what you would expect to recieve if you bought a WRX off of Wish.

Seriously Uncool.

Back