GTP Cool Wall: 2009+ MX-5. Voting Closed

• Thread starter Joey D
  • 52 comments

MX-5

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Old men and ladies own the road in these things, or ateast they think. Face lift doesn't do it for me either, something about the front makes it even more girly and cute.

Uncool.

Similar reasoning from me, people in the know about cars will think, hmm MX5, pretty good little roadster. However look at the drivers of an MX5, they're usually in a mid life crisis or are female. As good a car as it appears to be, I wouldn't wanna be seen in one.

Uncool.

Barely cool. Decent performance, also I happen to like the redesign alot more. Not near as girly as the previous Miata's.

Can't be that uncool? Can it?
This looks like little over a 50 car grid!!!

Miatas.jpg

sm_laguna.jpg

spec-miata-racing.jpg

miata_r_750.jpg

Last edited:
That actually makes me wonder: I know there were spec Miatas for the first two gens, probably because they were so similar. Is there one for the NC?

I know I'd enjoy driving this car, but it's not cool at all imo.

That actually makes me wonder: I know there were spec Miatas for the first two gens, probably because they were so similar. Is there one for the NC?

Yup! I think they phased out the older models for the new ones.

picture.php

Barely cool. Decent performance, also I happen to like the redesign alot more. Not near as girly as the previous Miata's.

Here is one that they manned up'd

picture.php

More details for the mods:
http://magnusracingclub.com/VasilisMX5.html
http://www.modified.com/features/sccp_0809_2007_mazda_mx5_miata/index.html

I know I'd enjoy driving this car, but it's not cool at all imo.

If it puts a smile on your face when driving it, it's at least cool at minimum.

Last edited:
Spec Miata cups are awesome. You can find some kind of Miata racing series, whether formal or informal, anywhere in the world.

Similar reasoning from me, people in the know about cars will think, hmm MX5, pretty good little roadster. However look at the drivers of an MX5, they're usually in a mid life crisis or are female. As good a car as it appears to be, I wouldn't wanna be seen in one.

Uncool.

That's because the rest of the owners are busy destroying their cars on the nearest racetrack or winding road.

Normally, the ownership of a car will make it either cool or uncool... but since Miata ownership is split 50:50 between hairdressers and enthusiasts, I suppose it evens out.

I'm sure the MX-5 is a great little roadster.. but has never appealled to me. maybe if they made a coupe version... it's not bad looking, but.... hmmm

toughie,.. leaves too much of the 'mid-life crisis, but couldnt afford a boxster' taste in my mouth.

umm, hmmmm....

... hmmm.

Nope I've decided... Un-cool. But I do have to keep reminding myself that this is not a 'good car wall', 'cos then I guess it would do okay.

Uncool- Not really my thing. Too much of a hairdresser's car but throw a LS1 in there and you will have my attention.

And to my knowledge a small numer of proper coupes were built and sold in Japan much earlier:

car_photo_13825_7.jpg

Seriously uncool as it is seen as a car for homosexuals and girls.

I dunno how it is over in the States but I think that image is petering out here. Everyone who I've told about my MX-5 thinks it's awesome, though that could also be because people don't expect people in their early twenties to buy stuff like that over here - most people my age go down the hot hatch route, or a select few like my best mate and my brother have bought small exec saloons. The other reason MX-5s don't seem to really have "that" image any more is because we have stuff which is waaaay more camp now, like the Beetle and MINI cabrios, or the coupe/cabrio versions of the Golf, Megane, Focus, Astra etc.

It seems like most of the MX-5s around here are driven by older gentlemen, or young guys like me. Its not very often that I see a woman driving one, which is really odd.

I don't think I've ever seen a women or a homosexual drive a Miata around here. Only two old guys have one too, a little old Scottish chap who wears a driving cap, gloves and scarf and drives the living piss out of the car and a professor of mine who has had his as a daily summer driver since 1991.

Even in Seattle a lot of the Miatas are driven by guys who look like they bought it as the driver's car that it really is. But being Seattle, there naturally are a bunch of them driven by homosexuals.

A good friend of mine bought one new two years ago, he already owned a heavily modded WRX wagon but wanted a convertible as a fun weekend car. He let his GF drive it work for a while until his Subaru was giving him issues before a track day. He then opted for the MX-5 & became addicted to it. So far he's used that car for track days much more than the WRX.

Could it be possible that also homosexuals and girls buy it as the driver's car?

👍 Yup! I have no problem with that. I don't see why homosexuals would deter me from driving this car 'cuz I'm pretty secure about my sexual prefference and as for the girls. Hey, the more the merrier. I'd give them a ride if they didn't have one and wanted one.

It's a Mazda, which I'm not too proud of, but it's still rather the best of its class. Cool.

What? Mazda? What? you're from Hiroshima, I presume?

This is the only Japanese company to win LeMans... they're the only manufacturer in the world left who bang on with the Rotary... not because it's extremely powerful or extremely efficient... but simply because it's extremely light, and that allows them to create the perfect handling balance in a front-engined car (if they could, I bet the engineers would ask for gas turbines...)... the company that made the Mazda3 so good that even without a major mechanical overhaul, it's still competitive with the newer Honda Civic...

The company that persists in making as many of their cars as possible "sporty" even if it costs them market share? (see: first-generation Mazda6)

Mazda... what? Not proud?

Seriously uncool as it is seen as a car for homosexuals and girls.

You're thinking about Subarus.

forester.jpg

That wasn't my personal opinion, by the way. This is the cool wall. You judge it by how everyone else looks at it. Here everyone believes I'm a fag for not getting a Mustang GT for ~8,000 more than my Si because its faster...

Back