2010-2015 Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wiegert

Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
2010-2015 Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG nominated by @FerrariF1GT

Mercedes-Benz_SLS_AMG_(C_197)_–_Frontansicht_(2),_10._August_2011,_Düsseldorf.jpg

Body Style:
2-door coupe, 2-door convertible
Engine: AMG 6.2L V8
Power: 583 hp, 622 hp (Black Series)
Torque: 479 ft-lb, 468 ft-lb (Black Series)
Weight: 1682-1725 kg
Transmission: 7-speed dual-clutch automatic
Drivetrain: Front-engine, rear-wheel drive
Additional Information:
This nomination does not include the SLS AMG Electric Drive, which has already been polled.​

Mercedes-Benz unveiled the successor to the SLR McLaren in 2009 with this SLS. The SLS brought back the gullwing doors as featured in the 300SL Coupe. Sales of the car began in 2010. It starred as the car on the cover in Gran Turismo 5.

Later, in 2011, Mercedes-Benz showcased the SLS AMG Roadster, the covertible version of the SLS, as a 2012 model. Sales of the Roadster began later that year.

In 2012, the Black Series was revealed at the Los Angeles Auto Show. Numerous track enhancements were made, including more power, carbon-ceramic brakes, and a titanium exhaust.

Finally, in 2013, a Final Edition was revealed. They sold in the spring of 2014. The SLS was followed by the AMG GT, now under its own make: Mercedes-AMG.​

01_mbsls63amgfd.jpg

05-mercedes-benz-sls-amg-gt-1339619317.jpg
mercedes-benz-sls-amg-roadster-01.jpg
Mercedes-Benz_SLS_AMG_Roadster_-_Flickr_-_Alexandre_Prévot_(9).jpg
2014-mercedes-benz-sls-amg-coupe-black-series-02.jpg
2014-mercedes-benz-SLS-AMG-black-series-rear-motion.jpg
2010-Mercedes-Benz-SLS-AMG-Interior-Top-1280x960.jpg

It's a looker, and the hood is ridiculously long with the engine so far back it might as well be fully mid-engined.

However the gullwing doors automatically make you look like a desperate attention seeker and the Black Series is just tacky.

Uncool.

One of the prettiest cars build in a long time.
Stunning, no question about it, and an utterly fantastic drive, but the retro gullwing gimmick spoils it for me. Having gotten into a [top up] Roadster effortlessly with my 6'2" frame, the gullwings were entirely unnecessary and terribly gimmicky.

Cool only because its design is such a sharp and unexpected redemption of the willy on wheels that preceded it. And then M-B replaced this with a miserably generic sportscar identifiable only by its brand-shouting bulldog face.

The doors suit the car, just like the did on the classic SL.
Though, if I'm honest, I don't think they did. I'd take a roadster over a gullwing anyday with its door lower cutline just an inch above the shin trim rather than the six or so of the gullwing--the latter always looked peculiar to me.

Mercedes-Benz-300-SL-Roadster-8_Fotor.jpg
1954_Mercedes_Benz_300SL_Gullwing_W198_01_Rene_Staud.jpg

I love how by most accounts this was fabulous to look at but fairly ordinary to drive but the GT S is not that interesting to look at but by most accounts is absolutely astounding to drive.

As good looking as the normal SLS is, it does lose points for the Black Series no matter how much the Black improved the driving experience. Low Cool.

GT5. Sub-zero.

In all seriousness, uncool, seriously so. Remaking an all-time legend is difficult to do right. Although technology and safety have improved since, you can't go wrong with the original. This can also apply to the '05 GT with the GT40.

The Black Series also put a dent on its coolness for me. Gran Turismo doesn't make it go anywhere, unfortunately.

The engine makes it a Sub-Zero for me.

I would take the roadster because I would be able to hear the wonderful sounds from the exhaust much clearer.

Mercedes actually managed to instill some design elements that are almost unique to the original 300 SL into this car without having it look too odd. I like the coupe more, as I often do with cars that is available in both coupe and convertible form. I think the only convertible that I really liked is the Ferrari California.

Personally I love the looks of this car, and since I rate it much more highly than the BMW M3, I'll go for a Sub-Zero.

Maybe just the right amount of flamboyance to appeal to a wider audience without having to explain why.

Medium cool.

Black Series aside, it pretty much nailed the modern take on a retro icon without ending up as fussy as its predecessor or as forgettable as the follow-up. Still a brash former AMG flagship but it was as nicely presented as I would have wanted it to be.

Cool.

A Benz with a V8 up front, rear drive at the back, and a body which puts all other Mercs to shame. Cool.

It's basically the new version of the 300SL. And know what that is like? One of the coolest mercedes cars out there.

With that said, this one it's not SZ, but it's high up there.

I... Don't like it. I don't find it particularly good looking (I've see a couple in the flesh and even sat on one on a showroom) and those doors are tacky beyond belief, they sholuld have left the Gullwings in the 1950's where they belong. Only thing great about it is that amazing engine, apart from that a very, very solid Uncool, nearly Seriously Uncool.

I believe the average passerby wouldn't think the gullwings are dumb or tacky, they'd be too busy with their jaws on the ground. The SLS AMG manages to do what many othe supercars can't, it catches everyone's attention but it doesn't look gaudy or pretentious. It looks ravaging, but still kind of restrained. Add to that a lovely V8 burble and a three-point star in front and you get a low Sub-Zero.

It's been a while since I pressed SZ that fast. One of the few cars nowadays that would raise my heart rate if I saw one drive by.

Prettier than the SLR but not as pretty as the AMG GT. Meh (even though i mistakenly voted uncool)

Back