United Kingdom
United Kingdom
2011+ BAC Mono nominated by @Stephan

bac-mono-S2512289-12.jpg

Body style: Single-seater roadster
Engine: 2.3L Cosworth I4
Power: 284-305 hp
Torque: 206-227 ft-lbs
Weight: 580 kg* (Dry weight and subject to options)
Transmission: 6 speed sequential manual
Drivetrain: Mid-engine, rear-wheel drive
Additional Information:
Introducing Mono, a lightweight, ultra high performance, road legal supercar designed and manufactured using the latest racing technology. Aimed at drivers who seek a purist driving experience and for whom design, engineering excellence and performance are of paramount importance, Mono is an aggressive design and will set a new benchmark in the small, but elite segment of radical, lightweight sports cars.
The Mono uses carbon fibre composite construction over a steel chassis (with FIA compliant rollover structure) inspired by the construction principles employed in DTM race cars. The nose of the vehicle provides a storage compartment and doubles as impact protection.
This car won Top Gear's Stig's Car Of The Year back in 2011.
There was also the GRID 2 version of the Mono which costs around 125k euros which includes this list.​

900px_bac-mono-01.jpg
BAC-1260x630px.jpg
car_photo_585178.jpg

bac-mono-201.jpg

bac-mono-291.jpg

If masturbation had a car...
Indeed. A car to prove your superiority at a track day... by people who could quite easily have spent the same money (or less) going racing to see if they really had the driving chops. Or on a proper car that could be used on track, but also wouldn't make you look like you'd forgotten where Silverstone is if you tried to drive it on the road.

Uncool.

Having recently driven a supercharged Atom (albeit just for 4 laps round the tiny Donington heritage loop), I can imagine this thing is an even more focused thrill machine.

Would love to give it a cool but the fact it's only got one seat, makes it uncool for me.

I rolled my eyes multiple times reading through that Additional Information.

It looks awesome and probably has a heck of a lot of performance but there is no way in hell that it's a cool car.

EDIT: Completely forgot about that highly amusing special edition of GRID 2 that included this car. Jesus. Christ.

Hopelessly impractical single seat face distorting pocket rocket. This car can't do the school run unless it has been stolen by a teenager, which is highly possible as it would probably be on a poster on a teenagers bedroom wall.

Sub-Zero - providing that the driver is under 40.

Sub Zero.
I think it's the best looking of these types of cars and I would happily have one if I could.

Easy cool. Always love a lightweight pocket-rocket

Awesome little machine. Looks brilliant, very aggressive looking, almost like a little jet fighter for the road.

Regardless of whether it's a just a track car or only has one seat, which considering what it is, don't think you'd be buying it for concerns of your image or practicality :lol: (nor does that define if it's cool or not IMO).

Either way, think it's a super cool little super-car (with the figures to back it up), not quite SZ mind, but super cool nonetheless.

Actually in hindsight, wish I voted SZ

don't think you'd be buying it for concerns of your image or practicality :lol: (nor does that define if it's cool or not IMO).
Arguably coolness is entirely about image.

It's an intangible concept we apply to something or someone whose qualities are appealing and impressive but ultimately entirely subjective, entirely personal and liable to change with fashion - if that's not judging something on image, I'm not sure what is.

I'd be tempted to also add "effortless" to any definition of cool, in that something or someone trying to be cool probably never will be (and having to wear a helmet so you can see where you're going above about 20mph seems a bit too much like being a martyr to the track toy cause, in this particular instance), but that's probably open to more debate.

Arguably coolness is entirely about image.

It's an intangible concept we apply to something or someone whose qualities are appealing and impressive but ultimately entirely subjective, entirely personal and liable to change with fashion - if that's not judging something on image, I'm not sure what is.

Fair enough, good point.

It's just, how I see it is that you'd be buying the Mono for it can do and what it is (which is a brilliant little car IMO), as opposed to how it makes you look and how you'd be perceived. Personally I wouldn't give a damn if it made me look stupid or not cool, as that just doesn't bother me. I'd buy a car because I like/want it not what makes me look like, but that's just how I view it I guess :).

And yes you're right coolness can be about image, but I'm just talking about coolness as far as the car is concerned. I.e. whether I like it or think it's cool as a vehicle/object (granted that's kind of what the cool wall's for).

Last edited:
You can't take a friend. You would look like an idiot on the street (although that applies to all these light trackday cars)

This doesn't relate to coolness much but looking at the cabin I can't help but think it looks incredibly claustrophobic.

I would love to drive one and it seems like a whole lot of fun to drive on a track but I wouldn't in a million years drive one on the street.

Seriously Uncool.

Cool, purely for the engineering and shear brilliance of it. But it is only for people who don't like towing a dedicated track machine to a circuit. Quite a premium at €125k.

Cool, purely for the engineering and shear brilliance of it. But it is only for people who don't like towing a dedicated track machine to a circuit. Quite a premium at €125k.
I do wonder how many people actually drive these to circuits in the first place.

Back