2016-Cadillac-ATS-V-sedan-104-876x535.jpg

Body Style: 4-door sedan, 2-door coupé
Engine: GM "LF4" Twin Turbo 3.6L V6
Power: 464 hp
Torque: 445 ft-lbs
Weight: 1725-1730 kg
Transmission: 6-speed manual, 8-speed automatic
Drivetrain: Front-engine, rear-wheel drive
Additional Information: The performance version of Cadillac's ATS, the ATS-V feature a 3.6 Twin Turbo V6 producing over 450HP. It is designed to compete with European sports coupés that, in a test conducted by Motor Trend, proved to be quicker, both in a straight line and around Willow Springs, than the BMW M4 and Mercedes-AMG C63S, while being considerably cheaper than most cars in its segment (with only the Audi S4 and Mercedes C43 AMG being cheaper).
2016-Cadillac-ATS-V-sedan-107-876x535.jpg
2016-Cadillac-ATS-V-sedan-108-876x535.jpg

19-2016-cadillac-ats-v-fd-1.jpg
1453869447-ATS-V-rear-quarter-silos.JPG

2016-Cadillac-ATS-V-sedan-119-876x535.jpg

Left-field it may be when compared to the Germans, but it's a cool left field sports sedan.

While this isn't a bad car, it only proves how Cadillac will never produce a performance car can actually give a German sports car a run for it's money.

It'd be a cool car if it didn't look like a Hot Wheels concept of a sports sedan.

While this isn't a bad car, it only proves how Cadillac will never produce a performance car can actually give a German sports car a run for it's money.

How exactly?

Not ostentatious enough for a Cadillac. Uncool.

I'm so confused (wouldn't be the first time with the cool wall) by this dialogue here. So some say it's not gaudy enough, while others say it's too gaudy. Man talk about damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.

How exactly?

I can't speak for Turbo, but having driven one when I was in Michigan a couple weeks ago (a buddy had one on loan from GM), it's just not as refined as my buddy's BMW M3. The ATS feels faster, handles in the same realm as the M3, and makes a good noise, but it just doesn't feel the same and still feels very much like a GM product inside. I know it's more affordable, so a lot of that can be forgiven.

Given Cadillac 10 more years and a couple more generations and I think they'll nail it down. They're still pretty new to the whole real sports sedan thing and I feel like they haven't got the whole package down yet. Simply putting a massive amount of horsepower in a car and some sticky tires isn't enough when going up against the Germans that've been doing this forever.

I can't speak for Turbo, but having driven one when I was in Michigan a couple weeks ago (a buddy had one on loan from GM), it's just not as refined as my buddy's BMW M3. The ATS feels faster, handles in the same realm as the M3, and makes a good noise, but it just doesn't feel the same and still feels very much like a GM product inside. I know it's more affordable, so a lot of that can be forgiven.

Given Cadillac 10 more years and a couple more generations and I think they'll nail it down. They're still pretty new to the whole real sports sedan thing and I feel like they haven't got the whole package down yet. Simply putting a massive amount of horsepower in a car and some sticky tires isn't enough when going up against the Germans that've been doing this forever.

I don't think they will, what people need to understand is there is a German way of bring out a car interior wise, a Japanese and American. No one market is going to just say "well we need to be exactly like them".

So no 10 years it will be the same thing "reminds me of a ten year old German interior". Also they're not new to it, cause they've been in it for 13 years now. They're not just doing power and tires, the entire car is refined, not sure how up to speed you are on the current alpha platform v series but they've done plenty more than what you've stated. Now if this was a first gen v series with a sourced vette engine in it, then I could understand your worries.

You've hit the nail on the head. That's almost exactly my reasoning.

On the one hand - it's cheap.
On the other hand - it's cheap.

In Europe, from what i can see, it's a little more expensive than an M3/4 or AMG C-class. I guess an RS4/5 is similarly priced too. So outside of it's domestic market it hasn't got that going for it.

I don't think they will, what people need to understand is there is a German way of bring out a car interior wise, a Japanese and American. No one market is going to just say "well we need to be exactly like them".

So no 10 years it will be the same thing "reminds me of a ten year old German interior". Also they're not new to it, cause they've been in it for 13 years now. They're not just doing power and tires, the entire car is refined, not sure how up to speed you are on the current alpha platform v series but they've done plenty more than what you've stated. Now if this was a first gen v series with a sourced vette engine in it, then I could understand your worries.

It's not just the feel of the interior I'm talking about, but the whole package. It felt less refined, but was still a very good. And I realize that the Americans aren't shooting to one up Germany or even be on par with them necessarily, but between auto journalist and auto enthusiasts, they'll still compare them (fairly or unfairly). I also know it's more than just horsepower and tires, but it seems like GM focus more on the performance aspect of it then the driving or cruising aspect. It was an stupidly fast car and I believe every bit of the 3.8 0-60 time, but it didn't fell like something I'd want to really ride it across the country, whereas with an M3 I think I could probably sit in it for a long car ride.

I'm admittedly not up to date much with the alpha platform, all I'm going off of is a nearly back to back drive of a 2017 ATS-V and a 2015 BMW M3. I know the ATS-V is probably more on par with the M4, but the M3 and M4 are close enough.

The Audi S6 was a direct competitor of the CTS-V.

It's not just the feel of the interior I'm talking about, but the whole package. It felt less refined, but was still a very good. And I realize that the Americans aren't shooting to one up Germany or even be on par with them necessarily, but between auto journalist and auto enthusiasts, they'll still compare them (fairly or unfairly). I also know it's more than just horsepower and tires, but it seems like GM focus more on the performance aspect of it then the driving or cruising aspect. It was an stupidly fast car and I believe every bit of the 3.8 0-60 time, but it didn't fell like something I'd want to really ride it across the country, whereas with an M3 I think I could probably sit in it for a long car ride.

I'm admittedly not up to date much with the alpha platform, all I'm going off of is a nearly back to back drive of a 2017 ATS-V and a 2015 BMW M3. I know the ATS-V is probably more on par with the M4, but the M3 and M4 are close enough.

Yes I agree GM do focus far more on performance and less on daily driver quality, which is why Camaro's have poor viability, but make for pretty good aero pieces for the segment they're built toward.

As for the M products I've heard the same thing, they're quite 1 dimensional at times and robotic in nature, Audi is bland, and Mercedes is probably the better driver car. Performance wise they're all great some more than the others, but I'd have to live with each one for a month or two to know exactly.

I feel for what you're paying and getting compared to a name like BMW, I'd do one of two things take the Cadi or spend a few thousand more for something that isn't solely just a name.

You've hit the nail on the head. That's almost exactly my reasoning.

But I doubt you've driven one, I've driven a first gen V series and then I got to ride in a second gen 2012 and the relation between the two are quite different so I can only imagine a more modern third gen ATS-V or CTS-V compared to a 2006 V Series or 2012.

So I still find it hard to see how you've come to this conclusion that this is proof cadillac can't fight "superior german" cars. When I'd say both Japan and the U.S. are more than capable and already if not have been doing it. I'm trying to understand what supposed refinement from your view is missing.

Supposedly from Joey it's every day use, which I agree is probably something GM should look at in the future, rather than being very good at strictly outright performance alone.

Last edited:
Don't like the cadillac grille.

Grilles like that sort of go against the whole sporting aesthetic.

It's a car. I still think it's rivals (M3/4, C63, Giulia QV) are better due to them being sold outside of the US.

At least I think it is american only. If otherwise it is probably still LHD-only.

Meh.

Don't like the cadillac grille.

Grilles like that sort of go against the whole sporting aesthetic.

It's a car. I still think it's rivals (M3/4, C63, Giulia QV) are better due to them being sold outside of the US.

At least I think it is american only. If otherwise it is probably still LHD-only.

Meh.

There are several posts on here with users talking about their price outside the U.S., it's safe to say it's not just sold in America.

I like the styling, but it's not cool. Not enough cow horn on the hood and Colt 45 door handles for me. ;) Uncool.

Back