Body Style: 5-door crossover
Engine: 1.6L Kappa III GDi I4 with 32 kW Electric Motor
Power: 103 hp (1.6 petrol), 43 hp (EV), 146 hp combined
Torque: 195 lb-ft
Weight: 1500-1521 kg
Transmission: 6-speed dual clutch automatic
Drivetrain: Front-engine, front-wheel drive
Additional Information:
Slotting between the Cee'd and Sportage, the Kia Niro is a compact crossover and is the first car from the Korean auto-maker to be offered solely as a petrol-electric hybrid. With its spacious cabin and conservative styling, the Niro is positioned as a conventional family car that is eco-friendly and cheap to run.
964306_1_0212-Kia_standard.jpg

kianiro-008.jpg

kia-niro-rear.jpg

2017-Kia-Niro-Hybrid-cockpit.jpg

kia-niro-first-edition-2016-736.jpg

Uncool, borderline meh. It needs more power, maybe 30 more horses to help overtake a 25 year old Corsica that wants to be "that" guy today...

Unlike others, I don't care what the brand name on a vehicle is. If it checks all, or at least most, of the "must have" boxes on my requirements list, it garners a test drive. This one, on paper, would do just that. Provided the engine isn't completely gutless (like the non-turbo Sportage was), it would rank pretty well, especially if they start making them with AWD.

Low cool.

I like Kias these days.

This is an SUV and I don't see any point in it being a thing.

We don't need 3(?) Kia SUVs (well there is 2 in my market)

Also Hybrid.

Uncool.

I think Kia's build quality has at least improved slightly since the turn of the decade, but is still far from cool.

Kias have become great cars to own and dare I say it actually a cool brand in this market.

However, I don't really feel anything for this particular crossover. Of course there's the signature grille (though I don't like those foggies compared to the ice cube LEDs they had on other cars in the range) but from the back and sides it could easily be mistaken for another crossover in what is an oversaturated market.

Hybrid powertrain is interesting but it's still a Meh rather than a Cool.

It's been on sale for the past few months in the UK.
Really? Testing it on a smaller market first?

Ah, I forgot the c'eed was a thing. Hmm.

Starting at £21k or $27k. Hm.

So about $3k cheaper than a Optima Hybrid....

Eh. Meh.

This is like a better more attractive Sportage......... uncool

edit: seen the back of it, it's a jacked rio...... ugh

In theory it should fit here just about as well as a car can. As a crossovers are bit more suitable for the... let's say more difficult for cars than most of the rest of Europe weather conditions the roads in Finland tend to have for a large part of the year while hybrids tend to be perfectly okay for the rest of the year. It's a market that has been relatively empty at least in Europe. The only other non-premium car I can think of is the RAV4 Hybrid, which hasn't really been out for long either.

It's not really a cool car though, is it.

Back