nio_ep9_07.jpg

Body Style: 2dr Coupe
Engine: 4x 250kW electric motors, 90kWh battery
Power: 1,341 hp
Torque: 1,092 lb-ft
Weight: 1,735 kg
Transmission: Single-speed direct drive
Drivetrain: AWD
Additional Info: 6 units sold, a further 10 units in production. China steps up to the electric hypercar battleground with the track focused EP9. Built in conjunction with the NIO Formula E team. Range is claimed at 265 miles (427km) and the twin battery packs can be recharged in 45 minutes.
K7H_1203-3840x2160.jpg

nio-ep9_100581911.jpg

nio-ep9-2a-record-car.jpg

nio-ep9-interior-3

Hard to vote on this one. On the one hand, it looks better than many other EV "hypercars," and it's (slightly) less vaporware-ish since they've actually sold some of these. The stats are cool too. On the other hand, it's still an "electric hypercar" and comes with all the baggage of that, plus all the baggage of China. I'd prefer a Taycan or Tesla or even a Honda E. I guess it balances out to Meh from me.

I don't quite get all the hate for electric cars. Kinda feel like its a bull whacker complaining about those new fangled combustion engine powered stage coaches. I think EVs can easily hit SZ.
Regardless, it is a Chinese hypercar, which is definitely SU. So it averages out to meh.

Chinese* supercar that no one has heard of. SU.

*There may come a time when Chinese built sportscars are considered to be the finest around and by that time all new cars will undoubtedly be electric. But that time isn't now and probably not the near future.

It's track-oriented, was built with input from a professional racing team and more than one working example exists, which would usually put it into Cool territory for me... but I just don't like the interior at all. Seems like they wanted to still keep an illusion that this would be driven on public roads, despite things like that huge silly lap time counter dominating the passenger side view.

If it was done for homologation purposes I could understand, but it clearly wasn't, so... Meh.

Back