GTP Cool Wall: Classic Mini Cooper. Voting Closed

• Thread starter Joey D
  • 53 comments

Mini Cooper (Classic)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sub Zero, it was the first British car that I actually liked. It looked nice and clean cut. It bears a sense of... well... what's the word for it? Well if the '57 Bel Air was the icon of Americana then the Classic Mini Cooper would be the icon of Briticana, (or Britannia, I don't know) Anyhow, a brilliant looking car and I stick with my Sub Zero vote.

I'm not a fan of small cars,but I do like the Mini's.Granted it's not a fuel sucking,big powerhouse car by any stretch of the matter,but this car just posseses timeless looks,almost iconic.I give it a cool vote.

Can somebody explain to me why this is cool so I can evaluate this properly?

I direct you to my post:

Sub-zero without shadow of a doubt. One of the most well-known cars in the world, absolutely classless, a motorsport legend, looks brilliant, was ground-breaking when it was released, loved by men and women equally, affordable to anyone... I could go on.

If you have any queries on any of that do feel free to ask.

They were still being sold in this decade, and people still buy them used. By choice!

You mean there are Minis newer than the 90's ones? (I think we got gray imports up to 93)... [ecstatic]![/ecstatic]

I was bummed when the Brazilian plant stopped making VW Beetles back at the turn of the century... imagine, a Beetle with fuel-injection, a CD player and the same wacky rear end and vulnerability to crosswinds that made them such fun to drive in bad weather... gone.

I think it's more than cool but not sub zero, i gave it a cool. There needs to be a step between cool and subzero though.

Can somebody explain to me why this is cool so I can evaluate this properly?

The classic Mini is just one of those cars that looks cool, is a riot to drive (probably) and most importantly for me has no snobbery. Everyone with and without money can own one and get the same amount of kudos from other petrolheads. The history alone makes it subzero.

You mean there are Minis newer than the 90's ones? (I think we got gray imports up to 93)... [ecstatic]![/ecstatic]

The MKVII's were made until 2000, in 2001 the BMW MINI took over.

Cool

Am I heartless? Yes. But I've been around a bunch, and I have friends that work on them regularly. Its not my cup of tea. Iconic, beautiful, awesome in a vintage way... But that's not enough to win me over. I'd have it as a collectors item, but I understand the shortcomings, and being able to fit in it properly is one of them.

The MKVII's were made until 2000, in 2001 the BMW MINI took over.

Hmmmm....

I mean, seriously hmmmm... I wonder who I know who can get one of those around customs...

Sub zero without a doubt. Very cool car and much better looking than the new Mini's IMO. It's also Mr Bean's car :lol:

Couldn't do a chick in the back unless you're a contortionist. Or a Midget. Or legs out the windows.

And that's not cool.

Couldn't do a chick in the back unless you're a contortionist. Or a Midget. Or legs out the windows.

And that's not cool.

I read that as: Mini is not a "chick" car. Doubly subzero. :lol:

And that's not cool.

That's what the front passenger seat, reclined back, is for. Duh.

Anyway, who is the other joker who's voted seriously uncool and not made their presence known here?...

EDIT: Paulie, explain yourself!

Cool

Am I heartless? Yes. But I've been around a bunch, and I have friends that work on them regularly. Its not my cup of tea. Iconic, beautiful, awesome in a vintage way... But that's not enough to win me over. I'd have it as a collectors item, but I understand the shortcomings, and being able to fit in it properly is one of them.

How tall are you? I'm 5'10 and last time I had a sit in one it fit me like a glove. And Roo seems to manage okay in his, too, and he's taller than I am.

Joey: There were actually some Minis being built in 2001 over here too.

And that's not cool.

Hold your horses there, first you need a chick.

Then once you have seduced your 'victim', I think most of us wouldn't go for the car as the location of the 'crime'.

Iconic is an overused word, but not in this case... can only be sub zero.

How tall are you? I'm 5'10 and last time I had a sit in one it fit me like a glove.

I'm about 6'1" and 160 lbs. Folding that much, and having to twist my legs and feet around to squeeze wasn't what I'd call "fun." I can deal with small on the inside, but having it be hard to get in and out is not preferential.

I'm about 6'1" and 160 lbs. Folding that much, and having to twist my legs and feet around to squeeze wasn't what I'd call "fun." I can deal with small on the inside, but having it be hard to get in and out is not preferential.

Have you sat in a Mini before then? I know I'm a good few inches off your height but I found it surprisingly easy to get in. It's worth bearing in mind that a significant proportion of a Mini's diminutive length is in the cabin, so although the car is small from the outside there's a surprising amount of space inside.

Sub zero, without a question. I mean I wouldn't want to drive one, but that's not the point.

But cheap.

No they bloody well aren't!

otolsl.jpg

I was about to say that too. Old Minis hold their value staggeringly well. While the rest of the world facelifts their cars every three years, Morris/Austin/Rover produced the same car for 41 years and it barely changed at all. The single biggest change was from 96-on I think when they moved the radiator to the front of the car, gave it side-impact bars and it gained an airbag. And those particular ones still hold their value well. What other cars have still held over 50% of their value over an eight to twelve year period?...

I was about to say that too. Old Minis hold their value staggeringly well. While the rest of the world facelifts their cars every three years, Morris/Austin/Rover produced the same car for 41 years and it barely changed at all. The single biggest change was from 96-on I think when they moved the radiator to the front of the car, gave it side-impact bars and it gained an airbag. And those particular ones still hold their value well. What other cars have still held over 50% of their value over an eight to twelve year period?...

Funny enough the MINI, at least here in the states, holds there values quite well too. Not 50% over 8 years but still pretty good.

Have you sat in a Mini before then?

Yes. An imported RHD Cooper S (I believe it was an MKVI or an MKVII), as well as the "current" Coopers of both generations. Once in the origional, I fit. But, having to fold so much to get in and out... Its just not cool.

This reminds me of Top Gear, when Clarkson had to get in and out of the Exige. Strangely, I had the same issue getting in and out of an Elise. Its not a terrible thing in the grand scheme of things, when a Lotus or a Mini are wonderful and otherwise iconic vehicles in their own right. But for people like me, it isn't something you'd want to deal with all the time.

Back