GTP Cool Wall: MKI Golf GTI. Voting Open!

• Thread starter Joey D
  • 44 comments

MKI GTI?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Quick question: Did you guys in the States ever actually officially get the MkI GTI or have people been importing them from Europe?

We did, but like Joey said, we got it a long while later. Europe normally gets their GTI first, and then we get the leftovers. The MKII versions were nearly the same, I believe, but when the MKIII generation rolled around, we were only given the option of the 2.0L 8V or the 2.7L VR6. Not the totally-awesome 2.0L 16V. Lame.

Our "cool" thing was always the GLI... Which, correct me if I'm wrong, you guys don't have in Europe?

Actually, looking at it, you're right...it is a hatchback (well, a glassback, as the rear glass is all that lifts on it, apparently,)...but it's not a hothatch in the sense that the GTi is. It's a hatchback with a V8 under the hood, and a relatively unrefined suspension...I've seen a test of the car, apparently disturbingly tail-happy because of the shorter leaf springs as compared to the AMC Hornet.
Though, seriously, maybe Duke means the 1974 Saab 99 EMS Combi Coupe?

Gremlin was a joke. The Saab was what I really thought Duke might mean.

I went with uncool, since it looks like an old ordinary econobox. I wouldn't mind driving one, but the coolness isn't there.

Our "cool" thing was always the GLI... Which, correct me if I'm wrong, you guys don't have in Europe?

Correct. I wish the UK had got your Jetta GLI (the Mk4 version, known as the Bora over here). That was a fantastic looking car. Closest we got was the 1.8T Bora "Sport". I can't complain too much though, because we still got the Bora V5 and VR6 4motion. And a 150bhp turbodiesel.

Is there really that much of a difference between the GLI and the Bora 1.8T "Sport" though? Ours was pretty much GTI suspension bits strapped under a Jetta, using exactly the same 1.8T engine from the GTI. As I recall, early models had 150 BHP, and the later ones had 180 BHP. We had the GLX VR6 as well, which wasn't too different from the GLI, other than the VR6 power. I'd love to have had the 4MOTION VR6 models though, the only AWD model they sold here was under the Passat with the VR6 and the W8.

Its weird, especially when the US (and Canada) are the largest markets for the Jetta, that we wouldn't get the awesome ones from across the pond.

The Saab wasn't a hatch though was it?

They're "Combi Coupes"

1978saab99turbo.jpg

Like my car, it's technically a hatchback, as the whole back window section lifts up.

Last edited:
Is there really that much of a difference between the GLI and the Bora 1.8T "Sport" though? Ours was pretty much GTI suspension bits strapped under a Jetta, using exactly the same 1.8T engine from the GTI. As I recall, early models had 150 BHP, and the later ones had 180 BHP. We had the GLX VR6 as well, which wasn't too different from the GLI, other than the VR6 power. I'd love to have had the 4MOTION VR6 models though, the only AWD model they sold here was under the Passat with the VR6 and the W8.

Its weird, especially when the US (and Canada) are the largest markets for the Jetta, that we wouldn't get the awesome ones from across the pond.

Did you not get the V5 then? Those things sound lovely.

Your GLI Jetta looked a whole lot more impressive than the Sport we got. Better alloys, nicer interior (with snazzy alloy bits that we only ever got in the R32) etc. But they were presumably essentially the same.

To me,it's just a hyped up econo-box.I am definately not a fan of V.W. either.

Seriously uncool

AWWWW Come on now,dont be mean. :)
Of course I voted Sub Zero,its off the scale FUN!!!
Funny the vote is kinda one sided.

I've voted another car sub-zero
I'm the lame car cool wall superhero
Some say they're for nerds
Some say they're just turds
But I see that spark
It looks good in the dark
And I'll vote sub-zero with no fear-o.

I want one in lime green with a black stripe running down the driver's side door. 'Nuff said.

I've voted another car sub-zero
I'm the lame car cool wall superhero
Some say they're for nerds
Some say they're just turds
But I see that spark
It looks good in the dark
And I'll vote sub-zero with no fear-o.

I want one in lime green with a black stripe running down the driver's side door. 'Nuff said.

Please no green stripes!!! err I mean Black on Lime green stripes, BUT to each his own so, disregard if you wish.

I should say down the driver's side, like the Viper ACR.

I actually painted a car like that in Forza 2, except that it's got 🤬 yeah science written on the side.

Back