GTP Cool Wall: Tesla Model S. Voting Open!

• Thread starter Joey D
  • 53 comments

Tesla Model S

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been thought about, but the infrastructure would be...ridiculously...expensive to maintain, not to mention the shoes would be constantly rubbing against the ground...very quick to wear both street and shoe, even if they were retractable. Oh, and then there's sparking issues, possible shorts...highways aren't really slotcar tracks.

Trolley buses aren't a bad idea, though, more flexible than Light Rail, particularly with modern battery tech, they could venture a short way off the wires.

The idea of an all-electric society is kind of one of those Perfect-World deals. One of those unachievable Utopia things that completely relies on humans all thinking the same way.

Last edited:
Looks like a knock off of the Jaguar XF
jaguar-xf-28.jpg

tesla-model-s-sedan.jpg

But hey if they can harness the electricity from the wind, the ocean currents and solar then it think it will be better than the hydrogen fuel cell cars. They just have to get more development into rapid charging or quick battery swapping ang make it compact enough for weight reduction.

Only time will tell, unless the oil industry can stop the technology from development. I also feel the traditional auto industry is afraid that if electric cars take off they will loose a lot on thier service department since this cars are going to be very minimal in terms of maintenance. No more $300 tune up service needed, brakes last longer since it will use regenerative braking a lot. People will be able to do "DIY" in replacing electric motors. Only positive and negative wires to disconect and reconnect and two bolts for the motor mounts.

Last edited:
It'll NEVER be that easy, they won't allow it. You KNOW that the electric motor will become an integral part of the chassis, hidden down behind braces and crap.

Eh, cool, 51.193% It only gets it because it in and of itself is zero emission, but it would be sub-zero (pun intended) if it ran on hydrogen.

I like it, I can see Tesla becoming one of the worlds premier sports car brands if Electric does take over since they have already been doing it for awhile now.

Cool.

I voted Sub-Zero thinking this was the Roadster. But it's just the Model S so I'm docking it down to Cool.

Styling: Yep, it's got four doors, four wheels and headlights. Therefore it looks like many other cars on the road. And these many other cars on the road look like it. Nowai.

Why is it so cool? Because it is a big step forward toward making an electric car that is practical that the general car buying public would buy. Personally, I don't really like electric cars and will probably hold out with petrol power as long as I can, but I just can't subtract points from Tesla for making something that's pretty important. Because after the Roadster, I believe this is the first car that has the range to suit American suburban life. And unlike the Roadster, it can actually be used by those families

So like it or not, this thing surely is a big step forward to creating a sustainable fleet of electric cars in this country. That's why it's cool.

Sub-Zero

Between the looks, the (Elon) Musk, the range (330+ miles), and the affordability ($50k!)... Its a home-run for me. Hand me the money for a sport sedan, I'm going to have a hard time being talked out of it.

Uncool.

IMO it's ugly. It needs to be plugged in, how do you road trip in a car like that?

They should learn to paint these cars with photovoltaic paint and a way to recharge under braking. Maybe that would somehow make them a little more free from the plug? Not sure how it would be possible, but can't they use paint that can light up and change different colors or conduct electricity? I think there is something like that, not for cars, but I saw it or something like it on the Science channel.

Uncool.

Looks great for an EV. Good performance and decent range. (300+ miles)

However, $50k is still out of reach for many, even before markups. It takes atleast 45 minutes to charge, which can be a pain.

Also, I would never buy a first generation of a new technology.

That's a good point, though also Tesla has to be commended for producing such excellent products so early into the development of a new technology. Certainly ones impressive enough to actually make people consider them over the norm.

I don't have a problem with Electric vehicles at all... there is an excellent case for them, however, at the moment, I think the technology lends itself better to the Tesla Roadster than this.

The tech is cool, the car is okay, but I don't think the two go together.. so Un-cool, but only by 0.1%

Like on the Diesel BMW discussion, I'm going to remain neutral again. Not COOL or UNCOOL

Pioneering cars like this generally go only to the rich and famous. Then the technology will get hijacked by GM, Ford and Toyota and Tesla will be run out of business in a few years. Basically, the little guy does all the developing and advertising for the technology, and the big guys will get all the sales and money from it.

That's a good point, though also Tesla has to be commended for producing such excellent products so early into the development of a new technology. Certainly ones impressive enough to actually make people consider them over the norm.

Didn't say the technology wasn't cool.

I'd just rather wait for the second gen. (or atleast a few years into the first gen. model run) so they can work the bugs out. That is if I were to buy one.

Seriously uncool because it's electric. All of those cars don't go down with me AT ALL well.

The styling is awesome - but I'm a strong believer that hydrogen is the way forward. Therefore, that Honda FCX is cooler than this, but this is still...

cool.

Uncool. It's all electric instead of hydrogen. I like the design even though it looks like the cobbled something together from Maserati, Aston Martin, Porsche, and Audi.

Except Hydrogen is EXTREMELY inefficient. It'd probably cost less money to develope a battery that could recycled or whatever, than it would to develope a system that made hydrogen efficient for powering a car without having to stick what is essentially an Hydrogen Bomb in the trunk of your car.

Styling very generic,I'm sure VERY overpriced,Chevy Volt has this one beat.

Actually the Model S is going to be priced at about $54,000 (US) And it's a lot better looking than the Volt...and, most importantly, the Volt is a GM car, so, it's probably not going to do anything it promises.

And for the "seriously uncool because it's electric," REALLY? This is the best looking AMERICAN car EVER (certainly the best looking electric car ever) and you it's uncool just because it doesn't pump out toxic smoke out it's ass? Really? This thing can beat a Ferrari in a drag race. It has instant torque because it doesn't have all the moving parts of the engine to move around. And the Model S is going to support the "quick change battery system."

And look at that dash. It's a giant screen. It's like driving something off of Star Trek. I mean, you cannot seriously say that if someone were to offer you a choice between a Model S and a Chevy Volt or Prius that you'd turn them down.

But you know the best thing about this car is: chicks will absolutely dig you. I mean, not only does it look sexy inside and out, but it's enviromentally friendly. The Model S, in my book goes in the Ice Box.

This is also something I could see James Bond driving around. It's pretty much a gadget, as is. And the brand name is sexy sounding too. It doesn't sound overly American or Japanese. "Tesla" Seriously, the Model S is the ULTIMATE eletric car. And I don't think you can get much better than this. Besides, we should all get used to Electric cars anyways, 'cause that's the next thing. I wouldn't be surprised if, in 10-20 years, most cars on the road were electric. At least, most cars being sold were.

Heh. Holy thread revival, batman. Annoyingly, I thought this was a new thread that I'd not commented on yet and prepared a long spiel about why hydrogen is pointless and why even a coal-powered EV is significantly cleaner than the cleanest petrol or diesel car hybrid or otherwise... but I see I've already made those points :P

GDdemot.jpg

yeah. I've been wanting to use this one for a LONG time...No hard feelings. ;p

GDdemot.jpg

yeah. I've been wanting to use this one for a LONG time...No hard feelings. ;p

that's pretty awesome, actually, I like it. 👍 And sorry about the revival. I just wanted to see what people were saying about the Model S, and I read the first page which was full of "Electric cars suck" or "Hydrogen is better" Which both completely incorrect. Just because Jeremy Clarkson says something, doesn't make it true.

Voting is done and over with, if you want an electric car thread create one or search for one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back