• Thread starter AJ
  • 21 comments

AJ

Premium
United Kingdom
UK [UTC+1]
GTP_AJ
GTP AJ
As a result of last month's announcement, a Steward will no longer be in the lobby during races.

Whilst I will be taking on the majority of their duties, there are a couple that will be spun out to form a new role of Race Marshal.

As these processes are not connected Race Control, we are happy to open this role up to members who are involved in the racing side of the Series, and even to those taking part in a particular event itself. This greatly increases the pool of eligible individuals and thus should reduce the time commitment for each individual involved.

Ideally we will have at least 2 people Marshalling at one time, so they can audit each other (no not that kind), split tasks, and facilitate bathroom breaks.

If you are interested in volunteering, please provide a list of the events you are able to cover below, stint times will be sorted out in a private thread at a time closer to each particular event.

There will be a reward system to thank members for their assistance. Each hour of successful Marshalling will earn 2 Jetons (Tokens), which may be exchanged for certain one time use perks.

Marshalling Duties

1 - Event Logging

The task here is to create carbon copy of ALL messages posted in the in-game text chat box, prefixed with the remaining race time.

2 - Incident Alerts

This involves supplying the exact time on the You Tube broadcast that an incident occurs, and the numbers of the cars involved.

Applicant Requirements

- Skype Account.
- At least Bronze grading.
- Not on Probation or serving a Suspended or Indefinite Ban.

Perks

10 Jetons - You may take to the track for an extra 5 minutes before the start of a single QP session.
15 Jetons - Penalty Free change of your team's EFR before QP.
20 Jetons - Penalty Free change of team's EFR during QP.
25 Jetons - Penalty Free change of team's EFR after QP.
30 Jetons - [UPDATED] - Deferral of 5th Team Warning Penalty. 6th Team Warning Penalty increased to 2:00.000.
35 Jetons - [UPDATED] - Deferral of 2nd Driver Same Reason Warning Penalty. 3rd Driver Same Reason Warning Penalty increased to 3:00.000.

AJ
As a result of last month's announcement, a Steward will no longer be in the lobby during races.

Whilst I will be taking on the majority of their duties, there are a couple that will be spun out to form a new role of Race Marshal.

As these processes are not connected Race Control, we are happy to open this role up to members who are involved in the racing side of the Series, and even to those taking part in a particular event itself. This greatly increases the pool of eligible individuals and thus should reduce the time commitment for each individual involved.

Ideally we will have at least 2 people Marshalling at one time, so they can audit each other (no not that kind), split tasks, and facilitate bathroom breaks.

If you are interested in volunteering, please provide a list of the events you are able to cover below, stint times will be sorted out in a private thread at a time closer to each particular event.

There will be a reward system to thank members for their assistance. Each hour of successful Marshalling will earn 2 Jetons (Token), which may be exchanged for certain one time use perks.

Marshalling Duties

1 - Event Logging

The task here is to create carbon copy of ALL messages posted in the in-game text chat box, prefixed with the remaining race time.

2 - Incident Alerts

This involves supplying the exact time on the You Tube broadcast that an incident occurs, and the numbers of the cars involved.

Applicant Requirements

- Skype Account.

Perks

10 Jetons - You may take to the track for an extra 5 minutes before the start of a single QP session.
30 Jetons - Removal of 1 Warning from your Team's Warning total during next Race.
35 Jetons - Removal of 1 Warning from your personal Same Reason Warning total during next Race.
Thats good in all. But...being able to take away a warning? Doesn't matter how long it takes to earn 30-35 "Jetons" thats just a unfair advantage.

Last edited:
I would be interested in volunteering, but as Pfeffer has said I dont think warnings should be the incentive. I haven't talked to my TM but I would be willling to volunteer and not recieve the Jetons, I would expect that other volunteers would see why just for doing some "book keeping" it would be unfair for it to have a direct impact on a race. GTP'ers are fair friendly helpful folk - if its a numbers things could we wait and see if enough register interest before the need for jetons?

AJ

There will be a reward system to thank members for their assistance. Each hour of successful Marshalling will earn 2 Jetons (Token), which may be exchanged for certain one time use perks.

Marshalling Duties

1 - Event Logging

2 - Incident Alerts

Applicant Requirements

- Skype Account.

Perks

30 Jetons - Removal of 1 Warning from your Team's Warning total during next Race.
35 Jetons - Removal of 1 Warning from your personal Same Reason Warning total during next Race.
I would say that with regards to the perks, the last two should probably be reconsidered. Everything else seems fine.

While incentives are great to attract volunteers, I don't believe an incentive should be an advantage in any event related to the series. To me, it's the equivalent of volunteering at the police station and being allowed to speed on the roadway as a perk. Not right. Instead, maybe consider perks such as a GTP Premium subscription and other things like that? Volunteering is (supposed to be) out of good will, not to receive something in return in the first place. Especially if said reward can be used to gain yourself and/or your team an advantage.

While I understand the reason for incentives, I have to agree with everyone else and say that they should not affect the racing directly. Even with a reward system in place, what about for those of us who are not on any team? Regardless, volunteering should be purely out of good will, and while many volunteer-based organizations do offer incentives, in our case it should not be done to gain any sort of advantage.

As for the actual Marshaling, I believe that it would be best served with screenshots of the YouTube stream.

It's all clear to me now.....
Screen Shot 2016-02-11 at 8.18.22 pm.png

The amount of work that goes on behind the scenes (for this series) is absolutely monumental so I can see why this has come about. A massive 👍 must go out to @Peelster1 and @littleregret265 for their tireless work so far, make sure you all give them a 'thanks bro' or, if you're in their neck of the woods, buy them a beer :cheers:

With that said I must add my opposition to the rest of the chorus. GHH does not believe that incentives should be race related, at all.

The Premium Membership idea is great (up to the J man though) but others could be considered as well, things that won't affect the series itself. Given that the series strives for realism this just does not seem right @AJ. There would be a plethora of series participants that would do this for free, of that I have no doubt :)

Cheers

HP

I like that you'd want people to volunteer for role such as this, but I will definitely echo the guys on the fact that any direct or indirect effects to a season or event's outcome won't sit too pretty as incentives.

I'm surprised nobody has said this already, but... Perhaps an appearance as a guest commentator for the next event on the calendar after their scheduled Marshalling slot...?

It'd be a nice incentive I feel, and one people would work hard towards too. Even if you made the slot in the booth an hour long or even just about 15-30 minutes, people would appreciate it.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your feedback. However as a grand total of zero people have so far put themselves forward to help out this weekend, the reward system will remain in place. If we get to point later in the year where the number of volunteers for each event is far greater than that needed, we will look at diluting, or ending the perks and allowing remaining Jetons to be converted.

The final 2 perks have been amended. Warnings are no longer removed, the penalty is just deferred and added onto the next penalty, however it is also increased by another 30s, so there are now pros and cons to using these perks.

If you available to marshal for at least 1 hour at this weekend's race (Saturday 18:30 UTC - Sunday 07:00 UTC) please post below.

Many thanks in advance.

AJ
Thank you all for your feedback. However as a grand total of zero people have so far put themselves forward to help out this weekend, the reward system will remain in place. If we get to point later in the year where the number of volunteers for each event is far greater than that needed, we will look at diluting, or ending the perks and allowing remaining Jetons to be converted.

The final 2 perks have been amended. Warnings are no longer removed, the penalty is just deferred and added onto the next penalty, however it is also increased by another 30s, so there are now pros and cons to using these perks.

If you available to marshal for at least 1 hour at this weekend's race (Saturday 18:30 UTC - Sunday 07:00 UTC) please post below.

Many thanks in advance.
I can help out between 20:00 - 00:00 UTC if that is any help

I can help grab some Jetsons :sly: from race-start until 20:00 UTC (ie, the first 90min), then can be available again around 2am UTC, probably watching until the finish...unless one of my kids breaks something, as they often do. :grumpy:

Sounds like it's fairly data-entry intensive.

AJ
Marshalling Duties

1 - Event Logging

2 - Incident Alerts

I'm also available to marshmalling the race from 21:30 to 22:00 UTC at Bathurst 12 Hour. 👍

I'm a silver driver and I have Skype. My Skype is Harsk100. 👍

How about a reward to be allowed to do some practice laps in the room before a race begins(before the grid is full)? It affects the race less than changing out a warning, and is very convenient. Or does that break stuff? :P

Please like this post if you are available to marshal for at least 1 hour during this weekend's race (Saturday 18:30 UTC - Sunday 07:00 UTC).

You will be asked for times in a private conversation later.

Back