Premium
United States
North Dakota
GTP_Cowboy
RacingCowboy570
Burnout Revenge, nominated by @Stephan

Revenge_boxart.jpg

Release date:
Playstation 2 and Xbox: September 13, 2005 (NA), September 23, 2005 (EU), September 26, 2005 (AU), and October 20, 2005 (JP); Xbox 360: March 7, 2006 (US), March 17, 2006 (EU), and March 23, 2006 (JP)
Platforms released on: Playstation 2, Xbox, Xbox 360
Game Developer: Criterion Games
Genre: Racing

In Burnout Revenge, players compete in a range of racing game types with different aims. These take place within rush-hour traffic, and include circuit racing, Road Rage (where players cause as many rivals to crash as possible within a time limit, or until the player's car is wrecked), Burning Lap (a single-lap, single-racer time attack mode), Eliminator (a circuit race where every thirty seconds, the last-placed racer's car is detonated; the race continues until only one racer is left), and Crash (where the player is placed at a junction with the aim of accumulating as many "Crash Dollars" as possible). A new gameplay feature in Burnout Revenge is the ability to ram same-way small to medium traffic, known as "traffic checking", propelling the rammed car forward; the event in which a "checked" car hits a rival is considered as a Traffic Takedown. Traffic checking is the focus of a new race type, Traffic Attack (whereby a player must earn a set amount of Crash Dollars through checking traffic), which can be used later on.

During these events, players have access to a limited amount of boost which is acquired through various dangerous driving techniques, including but not limited to driving on the wrong side of the road, tailgating opponents and drifting. Unique to the series is the concept of battling other rivals; unlike other video games in the racing genre, players are encouraged, and sometimes even required, to ram rival cars and cause traffic to crash. Causing a rival to crash is referred to as a "Takedown", rewarding the player by extending the length of their boost gauge and completely refilling it. In designated events, boost can also be used to activate a "Crashbreaker" during a crash, detonating the car and causing other nearby cars to crash. When the rival car takes the player down, the player will have to take the ultimate REVENGE by taking down the revenge rivals (which the arrow at the top of the car turned red) is referred to as a "Revenge Takedown".

In the main single-player game mode, players compete in a world tour consisting of 169 events across three continents, divided into a series of 11 "ranks" (Rank 11 has no events). The ranks which a player has access to is determined by their "Revenge Rank", which increases after completing events. By increasing their Rank sufficiently, the player "ranks up" and unlocks the next rank of events.

There are 77 cars in the game, some of which can only be used for crash events. The SUVs and saloon cars are some of them.

The game also features support for multiplayer gameplay, both online and offline. In addition to the racing modes, the game features three types of Crash modes: Crash Battle (multiple players attempt a junction at the same time), Crash Party (players take turns at attempting junctions across several rounds), and Crash Tour (a golf-like version of Crash Party, with players attempting to accumulate a certain amount of Crash Dollars in as few attempts as possible; after the last round ends the player with the lowest score wins).

BORx360SCREENww02-06xopsx-image38_bmp_jpgcopy.jpg

150229-Burnout_Revenge_(USA)-10.jpg
150229-Burnout_Revenge_(USA)-12.jpg

My dad says this was the best Burnout game ever made... I don't exactly agree with him, but I still think this was a great game.

The reason being that this was basically an updated Burnout 3, which is okay because Burnout 3 was a great enough game.

The things I love most about this game are that it added the ability to use the Crashbreaker in races. Albeit, it wasn't in every race, but I still liked that option.

My other favorite thing to do in this game was the crash mode. I just loved flinging my car into the middle of the intersection, causing a pileup with endless amounts of traffic piling in, while I pretty much blow them out of town with a Crashbreaker. And in my opinion, this game did the crash mode the best.

Traffic Attack was another fun mode, but it got boring for me, just traffic checking again and again...

And of course, there's the high-octane racing, takedowns, and explosions that the Burnout series is well-known for.

Despite not being the best Burnout game, it still deserves an A from me.

BEST BURNOUT EVER.

This is for me the best Burnout game and it aged well. Like the traffic checking was the greatest feature that was added to Revenge. Oh and the ability to use Crashbreaker on some races that allows Crashbreakers to be used, that's another featured I liked.

Car selection is another thing I liked. Like once you acquire the DX and GT versions of a car, you'll be hyped to drive it around and use to cause some carnage. BTW Revenge Racer FTW.
br_revenge_racer-Custom.jpg

Soundtrack. Obviously this is the best Burnout soundtrack I've ever listened to. Only Paradise/Dominator comes close.

I wish I could give this more than a A like maybe an S would be better but A is the highest so A it is.

^That song when it's played on the title screen you know you're in for more carnage than B3: Takedown.

I absolutely loved Revenge. It was just awesome and it's probably my second most played game (GT4 is number one).

I spent long nights trying to gold everything.

A+

Some things grow on you or stick with you for whatever reason(s). That explains me with Burnout Revenge, because while I am NOT a Burnout fanatic, there was something about Burnout Revenge that makes me like it a whole lot. Just not sure why I actually enjoyed this game. It is not just because of the Black Gold track, which resembles a combination of Houston (my hometown) and Dallas. Sometimes, I find myself wanting to buy it online even.

I am familiar with the "Cool Wall" concept as someone who watches Top Gear, but whatever is considered the best here- that's my rating for this game.

I'm not as glowing of praise on 3 as most people are (a lot of that has to do with the AI in 3, considering it is way, WAY too easy to either game the AI and make most races a cakewalk, and at the same time, have the AI **** you over so royally that you have to restart and hope that said gaming of AI doesn't happen to you or they break the gap, and also the Crash mode truly sucks) but Revenge is probably my favorite. It's a fun game, Crash mode actually feels like you have to put thought into it instead of going for the multipliers and winning, and feels a lot more chaotic.

Also has unreleased Thrice song. That makes it good in my books.

Straight A.

Definitely the best Burnout game of the lot I think, was such a great all round package as far as "arcade" racing games go. Also had the merit of being one of the first games I completed 100%.

It has aged very well in fairness, remember being amazed by the detail and what not when I first booted it up, and even now whilst it's no 4K masterpiece, it holds up remarkably well. Aside from that, the career mode was very much enthralling, with a great variety of events. Traffic checking was huge fun, remember redoing practically each one, trying to achieve the best score possible. And my personal favourite mode; Road Rage, particularly on Eastern Bay or White Mountain, which were two of the best locations. And then there was Crash, which was my Achilles heel of all the game modes, often struggled to pass them,

But generally the career mode was well structured, had great variety and wasn't too short in length, with a rather well sorted ranking system.

And then there were the cars. Personally Revenge had the best car list of the series, with the ST, DX and GT variations of each car which I loved. As my personal favourite, well it'd probably be the Custom M-Type in all it's forms:

Burnout Revenge Custom M-Type ST.jpg

Though the Modified R165 ST was probablt my next choice car after the M-type, more so in either ST or DX form.
Burnout Revenge Modified R165 ST.jpg

And to top it off, my ranking of the best 3 Burnout titles to date goes like this:
1-Revenge
2-Dominator
3-Paradise

This was one of the first games I was extremely excited for when I heard news.

A lot of great things I liked about this over Takedown and Paradise, but also a lot of things I didn't enjoy as much.

Everything that was great was purely the races themselves, and everything I disliked about this game was how they structured it for a linear story mode-like gameplay.

Absolutely loved how the boost shook your speakers. I very much enjoyed the feeling of speed, the smooth controls. Detonating your crashbreaker, landing vertical takedowns, and the jumps (AFAIK the newest feat to the series, alongside crashbreaker in races) all had huge mental rewards. Also rear-ending traffic, as goofy as it is, was a very fun feature that not only opened up another form of takedowns, but also eased up the learning curve for those who aren't comfortable driving in oncoming traffic, because you could just ram your way through all the traffic and still earn boost. Cars; Some of the coolest designs I've ever seen. Crash mode. A huge step up over Takedown. Where Takedown's bonus items influence what lines you take, Revenge encourages you to go just about anywhere with multiple crashbreakers, even off the highway and into a parking lot just to touch a few parked cars for extra damage.

Absolutely hated how they made the main menu like a "career" mode where the events are all over the place based solely on the progression from your first playthrough. I loved playing Takedown because I could pull up a screen to configure the event, the location and everything else, and just play it like that. Shame the difficulty level could never be adjusted. Once you hit the top ranks, you always drive against the 209mph cars. Loading times also took kinda long. 2 laps is also way too short for me. Don't know why they couldn't just let you have a single-player mode to set up a 10-lap race.

"Burnout2: Point of Impact" was my first Burnout, and I recall renting it for the Gamecube (or maybe the PS2). Many liked that Burnout for tyhe well structured Crash mode deal. "Burnout: Revenge" still speaks to me in a way that makes me like it as the best Burnout. Unless I get Paradise and enjoy it, I got to go with Revenge.

Whenever I think of this game I can't help but feel like it's really edgy for whatever reason.

Doesn't detract from the fact that it's an awesome game, but I have no idea why that edge factor certainly makes it that much more special.

Back