Lariat Member
Premium
United States
North Dakota
RacingCowboy570
RacingCowboy570
GTR2- FIA GT Racing Game, nominated by @Stephan

box.jpg

Release dates: September 29, 2006 (NA and AU) and October 6, 2006 (EU)
Platform/s: PC
Game developer/s: Blimey! Games and Simbin Studios (now known as Sector3 Studios)
Genre: Racing simulation

GTR2 – FIA GT Racing Game is a sports car racing simulator developed by Blimey! Games and SimBin Studios (later Sector3 Studios) for the x86 PC and is a sequel to GTR. Since its release in September 2006, it has received widespread acclaim. The game simulates the 2003 and 2004 FIA GT Championship racing series.

GTR2 offers many different game modes - Championships, Single Races, Practice, 24hr Races, Time Trials and the Driving School. The Official Championships consist of the 2003 and 2004 FIA GT Championship series. However, unlike its predecessor, GTR2 offers smaller unlockable championships as well as the ability to create custom championships.

Another major addition to the game series is the inclusion of a driving school. This teaches the user racing techniques, and allows the user to practice them.

The 24hr races demonstrate the new dynamic day and night cycles. The transition between day and night is seamless and steady, unlike in the original where the race had to be paused whilst the new time of day was loaded. The day and night cycles can also be experienced by changing the
speed of which the time of day passes during a race weekend. Selections here can be accelerated up to 60x.

There are more than 27 models of car included, spanning all the classes involved in FIA GT racing. They range from 600 hp GT class, to 400 hp NGT class vehicles. With the ability to create your own content, many more vehicles have been created by the dedicated GTR2 community.

Due to licensing issues, by default, Ferrari and Porsche vehicles are disabled in the Steam version of the game, although this can be restored.

Included with GTR2 are 15 real-world tracks, with 34 different variations to choose from. Highlights include Spa, Monza, Imola and Barcelona.

One of the reasons GTR2 has been so popular is the ability to create customcontent for the game. This has led to a large community of players who createnew vehicles and tracks to race with.

download+GTR+2+FIA+GT+Racing+Game+-+PC+Games.jpg

GTR2%202006-10-02%2020-58-37-56.jpg

gtr2-jpg.176872

Couldn't help myself, just picked this up on steam. Will be interesting to see how this holds up more than a decade later.

GTR2 was a game I bought on Amazon long ago and then stopped playing it for months. Then when I did return, I got into the allure of making game videos as well as car skins. That ignited my interest to play GTR2. Seeing stuff on here from the likes of rallymorten intrigued me to do my own highlight video on YouTube with AI racers. That, I think, is why I levitated to GTR2. Even if I didn't want to race, I could still have a competent race using AI drivers. GTR2 came some good amount of time after rFactor and using rFactor's engine. And really, it offered better effects that boosted the appeal somewhat over what rFactor had to offer. Even as an aging title, people still play GTR2 for a reason.

I'm going to call an "A" for this one. Maybe I am sad I didn't get into GTR2 any sooner while I was still enjoying the rFactor experience and was hoping to get RACE07 then. I still want to mark GTR2 as a must-play for any racing/driving gamer.

Latest Posts

Back