Lariat Member
Premium
United States
North Dakota
RacingCowboy570
RacingCowboy570
Need For Speed Shift 2: Unleashed, nominated by @Cowboy

711-i1fbral-_aa1000_-jpg.659052

Release date: NA: March 29, 2011, EU: March 31, 2011, AU: March 31, 2011, UK: April 1, 2011, WW: August 4, 2011
Platform(s) released on: Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, IOS
Game developer: Slightly Mad Studios, Straight Right (IOS)
Genre: Racing

Shift 2: Unleashed features over 145 cars from more than 37 manufacturers and over 36 different tracks, which players can compete in several types of races. Players can also compete online. The game also features three new main additions: an in-helmet camera, night-time racing and the Autolog feature introduced with Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit.

Shift 2 claims to redefine the racing simulator genre by delivering authentic and true-to-life dynamic crash physics, intricately detailed real-world cars, drivers and tracks. During their careers, virtual racers partake in a variety of motorsports — like drifting, muscle car racing, retro car racing, Endurance races and circuit competition (i.e. FIA GT3 European Championship) — to hone their driving skills in hopes of becoming the FIA GT1 world champion.

In the career mode, Vaughn Gittin, a Formula D Champion guides the player through his career, customizing the car, Autolog, teaching the player how to drift, so the player would head on to the FIA GT3 and the Works series. Then, he begins to move on to the FIA GT1 Championship. Gittin also explains the Muscle discipline. The career mode also features the Formula D driver Darren McNamara, who explains the Retro discipline, Chris Rado, who explains Time Attack and Drag Racing (DLC) discipline, Eric and Marc Kozeluh, who explains Standing Mile (DLC) discipline, Mad Mike Whiddett, who explains the Works discipline, Executive Vice President of EA Patrick Söderlund, who explains the FIA GT3 discipline, Tommy Milner, who explains the endurance discipline, Matt Powers, who explains the Legends (DLC) discipline, and Jamie Campbell-Walter, who explains the FIA GT1 discipline.

shift2_unleashed_pagani_huayra_04-jpg.659059
shift2-screen3_656x369-jpg.659060
maxresdefault-1-jpg.659061
shift2_239378b-jpg.659062

So sad. This is the only game I know of (not counting mods) to have FIA GT1 cars for its time.

The physics were boaty. Only a few cars had a stable handling. Oh and the career was good. Having real life race car drivers as your rival was good. Soundtrack was also good especially since Stephen Baysted and Mick Gordon did the soundtrack with other people. Graphics wise it's good as well.

Overall the physics engine is what killed the experience for me. I still managed to beat the game I wasn't able to play longer than I should be due to the physics.

So I'll give this an B.

If it had Forza’s pad accessibility then it would’ve been great. Ebisu alone was a major plus point, the interior upgrades another.

As it is, a low C.

I remember the game being "okay". Not a whole lot stands out to me, other than the "boaty" feel that Stephan alluded to. At the very least, this let me more easily "master" the Karussel on Nurburgring a lot easier than in this game's predecessor. This was a game I mindlessly completed while I had Grade A Under A videos playing on my laptop. I do remember one particular point where my game straight up glitched up, but I was guessing that's because my PS3 was getting "tired" for the night.

C it is.

It's such a shame the physics were so diabolical, as otherwise it had the making to be a great game. What with the impressively in depth career mode, great customisation and decent car rostrum. But alas, it was all ruined by those horrible physics, which made all the cars feel so void of feel, and for a controller user like myself, it was frustrating. Aside from the physics, there was something else missing, couldn't never put my finger on it, but it just lacked that "feel" if that makes sense. Heck it probably doesn't but still :lol:.

Shame really, as like I said, the makings where there for it to be so muc more; a great NFS game. But it wasn't to be, hence why Pro Street still remains to be the last truly great NFS title as far as I'm concerned.

Either way, thought I'd be generous and give it a C, though it'd be a low C at that.

"Need for Speed: SHIFT 2 Unleashed" is a great game. However, what holds it back for me is its buggy nature. My fondest memory of this game was when I competed in an Elimination race with a Lexus LFA at one of the Shanghai tracks. I overtook someone IN THE AIR after my car jumped off the bridge! I ended up winning that race still. But still- what holds this game back is the variety of bugs that make the game screwy. Otherwise, this is a hard-hitting simulation-type racing game. Sure the "Need for Speed" namesake is not in its title, but it should not be a factor as to whether or not you should play this game.

The history of what comes after this game with SMS and EA notwithstanding, the fact that it had GT3 and GT1 as a showpiece discipline is quite nice. I also like the corner mastering element, seems like it would probably work a lot better in learning new tracks then anything the sim genre has tried to do in the past decade or so.

Still, the handling is at its absolute worst on consoles, and it really shows how far SMS have gotten in terms of where they are with PCARS 2.

Recently got this game for free with still valid LE pass code, playing on PS3 with DS2 ( wired controller ), drives just fine, no issues so far ( drive with Elite mode, manual with clutch on hard ). Physics is okay for it's time.

I actually liked the SHIFT games. They were, to me, more pleasing and different from the illegal street racing or Hollywood style racing in NFS games (especially "NFS: Underground" and after) They were simulation-oriented while not being overly hardcore sim. I actually thought it was cool to see your car go from its stock state to being a Works beast. I had a few cars totally maxed out. One thing about SHIFT 2 Unleashed... I am a fan of Vaughn Gittin Jr. However, as much as I like him, I don't know if I'd want him to coach me in my racing career as he is in SHIFT 2 Unleashed. I do think he's a cracking good drifter. I would still recommend you pick up "SHIFT 2 Unleashed" to your game collection.

I had zero expectation when I got the game, it was a gift ( my buddy bought it and almost never played it ). So far I only drive a little number of cars, M3 E30, Supra, R32 GTR and the Civic Si. It's quirky in terms of physics, and the tuning values are not using real life values, which is odd, but I still can tune just fine with the help of telemetry hud. Most cars needs proper tire pressure, alignment and small tweaks to the spring/ARB. Some need damper adjustment. Got the C6 Corvette Z06 reward car, I can easily see how some would be frustrated when racing against AI, they are rather inconsistent ( always on hard, though for me it's a bit too easy )

Regarding lag on controller, I didn't encounter any issues, might have to do with wired DS2 and PDP tv, though I had to tinker a bit with advanced settings ( sensitivity, deadzone, etc ) The game do not utilize analog pressure sensitive input on face buttons, the shoulder buttons ( L2/R2 did have analog pressure and are very accurate ) Still playable though even on face buttons ( cross for gas, square for brake ) even without any aids like ABS or traction control.

Last edited:
Back