GTP WTAC Week 105: Thank You, Carroll Shelby (Part 1)

• Thread starter Detroitbb
  • 29 comments
GTP WTAC Week 105: Thank You, Carroll Shelby (Part 1)

*** Carroll Shelby, as some of you may or may not have heard, passed away on May 10th, 2012 at the age of 89. Most noted as a car designer/constructor/modifier such as the Shelby Cobra 427, but also the Shelby GT350 (as well as the GT350R in this game). Other notable Shelby cars: Shelby GT500, Daytona Coupe, and Shelby Series 1 (this is also in the game). His first project was to take the popular British car, the AC Ace, and ask AC to make a version that would accept a bigger V8 engine. This car would, with a few model and engine variations, become the Shelby Cobra. He would also have a hand in designing many other cars from different manufacturers, but the ones most worth mentioning are the Ford GT40 and the Dodge Viper.

But Carroll Shelby also was a race car driver. He won his very first race in 1952 and quickly established himself as a phenom. In 1954, he flipped his car four times while driving the dangerous Carrera Panamericana in Mexico. Due to multiple surgeries, he had to drive most of the 1955 season while his arm was in a hard cast. But he still continued to win. He was named 'Sports Illustrated' Driver Of The Year for 1956 and 1957. In 1958-59, he participated in Formula One Racing. He even won the 1959 '24 Hours Of Le Mans' while driving an Aston Martin DBR1. His last race was in 1960 at the famed Laguna Seca track in California. He drove a Maserati Tipo 61 Birdcage and finished in 2nd place. He was in such pain (related to his crash and years of surgery) that he decided at that moment to retire.

For this event, we had three Shelby cars to choose from (not including the AC Cars 427 S/C): the Shelby Cobra 427 ’66, the Shelby GT350R ’65, and the Shelby Series One Super Charged ’03. Part 1 of this two part ode to Carroll Shelby will feature the 1966 Shelby Cobra 427 and the 1965 Shelby GT350R. For Part 2, we'll use the 2003 Shelby Series One.

1. Track : Grand Valley Speedway (forward)

picture.php

2. Cars : Shelby Cobra 427 ’66 & Shelby GT350R ’65

2wh1hz7.jpg
l
103g6dz.jpg

IMPORTANT ! This is a combined times challenge: you'll need to run both cars; rankings will be made based on your combined times.

----------------

3. Cars specifics:

- Transmission: either
- Tires: R2 / R2
- TCS : at your disposal
- ASM : off
- Active Steering : off
- Driving Physics : Professional

All in-game quick-tune options are at your disposal (Press Triangle when selecting your car to add the car to your favorites and tinker with any available settings).

Hybrid cars, the use of CFW tuning or any other way of cheating (such as the Action Replay for PSP) is forbidden...

--------------------

4. Duration of the challenges : this challenge will start Monday May 21st 4:00 pm GMT+2 and will end Monday May 28th 3:59 pm GMT+2 (one week !)

--------------------

5. Time submission :

You'll have to post your Ghost Replay Data + Photo before Monday May 28th 3:59 pm GMT+2. If you miss the deadline, your laptimes won't be in the website.

--------------------

6. Rules :

You'll have to follow the Host and Compete in a GT Planet Time Attack Challenge (GTPTAC) You'll have to follow the Host and Compete in a GT Planet Time Attack Challenge (GTPTAC) ! Just to remind you :
Clean or Dirty lap :
- Colliding with or using walls, fences, cones or other obstacle is forbidden. All times submitted must be 100% wall free.
- Two wheels (except when airborne, where the vertical projection of the car onto the track counts) must be in contact with the tarmac which does not include all green/grassed/sanded/graveled areas.
- NO SPARKS! (this does not include 'bottoming' the car out on the tarmac or rumble strips; but does include walls/barriers)
Rumble/ripple strips :
- having two wheels/tires on a corner's inside rumble strips and two off track is considered unclean
- having two wheels/tires on a corner's outside rumble strips and two off track is considered clean.

--------------------

7. LeaderBoards

The leaderboards will be on the website

--------------------

8. Current session points leaders:

Place - Competitor - Points

1st #l-l MVR08######l24
2nd #-l Antares26####21
3rd #l-l Detroitbb####)18
5th #l-l Awaren######.9#
small_down_arrow.gif
#(tied for 5th)
5th #l-l sidtiroler#####$9###(tied for 5th)
6th #l-l Petrolhead1###ll8#
small_up_arrow.gif

7th #l-l zipiol#######%6#
small_up_arrow.gif

9th #l-l anastasis14###.l5#
small_down_arrow.gif
#(tied for 9th)
9th #l-l danielmacgr###l.5###(tied for 9th)
10th .-l Valencianista###1

----------------------------------------------------------

:gtpflag:

Last edited:
Please note that I chose a tire that we've never used (at least not that I can remember) in the WTAC before: R2 tires.

So make sure to change from the stock tires for each car to the R2's!

How's everyone getting on at the moment?

I've only tried the Cobra '66 so far. I have to be honest, if this were real, I'd be dead. I've had some crazy crashes!

I've managed 2'03:689 but I had TCS on 8!

First time I've touched GTPSP this week, busy week for me and I've only managed to do 3 laps with each car.

Shelby Cobra 427 ~ 2'03.219
Shelby GT350R ~ 2'09.925

TCS 0 is possible even with the 427. I found that throttle control (tap-tap-tap) works better than short shifting (not shifting down to 2nd to reduce wheelspin). 👍

I will :D
Could anyone give me a handle with the cars , I already tried "tap-tap-tap" on Cobra and GT350R but they responde "drift-drift-drift".

Help please ?

I will :D
Could anyone give me a handle with the cars , I already tried "tap-tap-tap" on Cobra and GT350R but they responde "drift-drift-drift".

Help please ?

I don't use tap-tap-tap in the middle of tight corners, I only accelerate when the car is already facing the exit, so even if the car does go into a slide I could just let go of the gas while countersteering so the car's weight will shift and return the car to the right direction. On high speed corners though, it's a different case as whenever I feel the car's losing too much speed, I tap at least twice. I think Tap-tap's a technique to maintain traction and cornering speed, akin to light-medium-heavy throttle control in real life.

It takes a lot of practice especially these two cars have a ton of torque, but it's really fun if you're able to control the power.

Newer times from me
Cobra ~ 2'01.8xx
GT350 ~ 2'07.6xx

FR Cars
Height: -15/-15
Springs: 4/4
Dampers: 5/5
Toe: 0.00/0.00
Camber: 1.5/1.5
*This setup is aimed at low to mid powered FR cars using S2 or S3 tires.

The ride height is set depending on the track surface. If the track has a fully smooth surface that doesn't have jumps or steep uphill and downhill sections (e.g, Tsukuba) the height could be set down to lowest height.

Springs and dampers co-exist on how their going to affect the car's handling. Stiffer springs allows for sharper turn while harder dampers make sure that the car doesn't produce too much body roll. If the track has low-speed consecutive winding corners that makes weight transition important (e,g. Costa di Amalfi, Nurburgring) feel free to soften the dampers to 3.

I find that Toe angle only comes into play when the car still has a hard time at corner turn-in even with adjusted suspension setups. If the car often understeers even with the slightest throttle response, you can set the front toe to at least -0.20. If you feel the rear of the car doesn't follow through in the corners, set the car's rear toe to at most -0.35. Too much negative toe in the rear can actually make the car easily lose rear traction, a very important factor when driving rear wheel drive cars.

Camber angles improve overall grip of the car, as the vertical axes makes more of the rubber base come in contact with the road. I've never tried going beyond 1.5, since 2.0 is already the stock camber angles of race cars, if you still feel the car's grip is lacking after setting everything else, I recommend having 1.8 as the highest camber settings for maximum grip.

Keep in mind that you are most likely using S2 or S3 tires so the grip is still somewhat limited even with adjustments

Though it says there that the setup is aimed at using Sports tires, I find that the grip that the R2 tires provide for both cars (especially the Cobra) is equal to that of S3 tires for other sports cars. That quote explains how I feel the FR cars, so we might be seeing differently.

I haven't had much time this week, so here is my submission.

Shelby Cobra 427 '66 ~ 2'03:502

Shelby GT350R '65 ~ 2'09:332

img0148ji.jpg

By danielmacgregor at 2012-05-27

Combined Time ~ 4'12:834

Attachments

• UCES01245RPLY-B6B9260A401.zip
    53.2 KB · Views: 37
  • UCES01245RPLY-B6B9260A403.zip
    53.1 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Shelby Cobra 427 '66 - 2'05.481

scaled.php

Shelby GT350R '65 - 2'11.936

scaled.php

Combined Time - 4'17.417 <- LOL at the time xD

Attachments

• Ghosts.rar
    59.5 KB · Views: 37
Shelby Cobra 427: 2'02.015

1zqwpp0.jpg

Shelby GT350R: 2'08.044

2rpafjk.jpg

combined time: 4'10.059

Next week's challenge: Two convertible Italian cars cruising on the Amalfi Coast!

Attachments

• UCUS98632RPLY-B6B9260A400.zip
    54.7 KB · Views: 37
  • UCUS98632RPLY-B6B9260A401.zip
    54.5 KB · Views: 37
Shelby Cobra 427 '66: 2'04.250

Shelby GT350R '65: 2'10.318

Total: 4'14.568

Ah, what a nice week for an italian motorsports-fan! :sly:

Alonso ís finally/currently on the number one in the formula 1 ranking for this year, and next week there are two italian cars on an italian track in the GTPSP Time Attack League. What could I wish more? 👍

Attachments

59.6 KB · Views: 37
  • UCES01245RPLY-B6B9260A400.zip
    56 KB · Views: 37
Didn't have much time to run this week, been preoccupied with so many things now that school starts next week.

Shelby GT350R '65 ~ 2'07.310
snap038.jpg

Shelby Cobra 427 '66 ~ 2'00.449
snap039.jpg

Overall Combined Time: 4'07.749

Still, I think it was enough for a time constrained lap. 👍

Attachments

• Ghost105_Antares.rar
    111.9 KB · Views: 38
I am seriously considering stopping with the WTAC till I can fix the PSP cause this is getting me mad now. The lonely replay is to show what I have to deal with lap after lap untill I find that lone lap where the PSP couldn't sabotage my run.

The Cobra with S2 tires is a fun car to drive once you get accustomed to the sliding, and if you are delicate with it you can minimise the sliding and make use of all the grip it has, its like the Cadillac CTS-V in iRacing, the car has ton of grip but if you enter a corner with just a little bit too much speed, or use a little bit too much throttle, or give it gas gas just a little bit too early you gonna have a bad time drifting out with two or four wheels all over the place and spinning out at the end.

Shelby GT350R '65: 2'05.880
screen1xr.png

Shelby Cobra 427 '66: 1'59.078
screen2br.png

Total: 4'04.958
👍

Attachments

• Replays.rar
    106.2 KB · Views: 37
  • Lonely Replay.rar
    55 KB · Views: 39
I hope Detroitbb does accept this late submission. I asked him, but he hasn't replied:scared::

DSCF2146.jpg

DSCF2145.jpg

Total time: 4'13.301

Attachments

• UCES01245RPLY-B6B9260A400.zip
    55.3 KB · Views: 37
    55.5 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

This week's results:

goldh.png
1st - MVR08####. (4'04.958)###[8 pts]

silverg.png
2nd - Antares26## (4'07.749)###[7 pts]

bronzeo.png
3rd - Detroitbb### (4'10.059)###[6 pts]

### 4th - danielmacgr#l (4'12.834)###[5 pts]

### 5th - sidtiroler###ll (4'14.568)###[4 pts]

### 6th - zipiol#####7l (4'17.417)###[3 pts]

Current session points leaders:

Place - Competitor - Points

1st #l-l MVR08######l32
2nd #-l Antares26####28
3rd #l-l Detroitbb####)24
4th #l-l sidtiroler#####13#
small_up_arrow.gif

5th #l-l danielmacgr##l.10#
small_up_arrow.gif

7th #l-l zipiol#######.ll9###(tied for 7th)
7th #l-l Awaren######.9#
small_down_arrow.gif
#(tied for 7th)
8th #l-l Petrolhead1###ll8#
small_down_arrow.gif

9th #l-l anastasis14###ll5#
small_down_arrow.gif

10th .-l Valencianista##l.1

:gtpflag:

Last edited: